JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, our pandemic/election ammo buying binge has created another price increase. Demand exceeded supply to the point where prices have to go up. Winchester (who makes a whole lot of ammo under various brands) just announced on Mat 1st all ammo is going up at a minimum 5%. That'll add 10-20% more on the retail shelves. Even the mark up hold outs like Bi-Mart and Coastal have raised their prices 15-20% in the last month so next month we'll see those climb even more. .556 was at $0.60/round at bimart last week. It'll be $0.70/round next month.
How do we combat this? STOP buying. Stop buying from inflated online prices. If everyone refuses to buy ammo at absurd prices they will stop buying up al the cheap ammo to resell. Then they'll be forced to let it go at cost or just hold onto it.
Ammo prices also won't go down until there's a plethora of ammo on the shelves not moving. It'll force price reductions. Demand softens so does price. Think disposable face masks. Beginning of pandemic $1/each. Now less than $0.10/each. Supply exceeds demand.
Winchester stated that if they quit taking new orders now, it would take them two years to fulfill every order in the system. Federal is even more behind, with over a billion dollars back ordered. If you are buying because you're worried about a proposed 40% ammo tax. Well, we are already paying more than that. I do respect the hustle of people though. Being a capitalist to make ends meet for ya, it's all good. But for people like me that have plenty of ammo, let's take a back seat for awhile. We're only hurting ourselves financially in the long term.

156577D5-AF45-4050-BDFE-74F8E825E452.jpeg

Preaching to the choir man, preaching to the choir.

As large a community NWFA is, it is still the minority of PNW firearm owners. There are more scalpers and Gunbroker resellers willing to pay the inflated prices since its still selling for far more on Gunbroker, forums, and so forth :(

Given the prices of some calibers, haven't bought some in a year or more.

Don't even have ammo for some calibers.

Only thing I've bought in a significant quantity, 7.62x39, a caliber I recently switched too. Only able to get that significant quantity by having a friend that holds it for me till I can afford another case. Only have 2 more cases on hold but that's imported ammo.

Hope supply becomes greater than demand sooner rather than later.

Preaching to the choir man, preaching to the choir.

As large a community NWFA is, it is still the minority of PNW firearm owners. There are more scalpers and Gunbroker resellers willing to pay the inflated prices since its still selling for far more on Gunbroker, forums, and so forth :(
Oh I know but if even a handful of us stop and/or tell at least a few friends to not buy inflated prices and explain why then it'll help. Or they'll keep lining up at Cabelas 60 deep hoping to score a box. 🤣

One small problem.
Winchester doesn't have any ammo on the shelves to raise prices on.
I haven't seen any Winchester ammo in months !

Maybe they have been hoarding it for this Big Price Increase Rollout !!!

:D

One small problem.
Winchester doesn't have any ammo on the shelves to raise prices on.
I haven't seen any Winchester ammo in months !

Maybe they have been hoarding it for this Big Price Increase Rollout !!!

:D
There's actually quite a bit out there. BiMart and coastal get it often. Direct message me if you want some buying tips there.

If you are buying because you're worried about a proposed 40% ammo tax. Well, we are already paying more than that.
I don't know if you are adding every possible tax on the business, but federal tax on ammunition is 11% and that money goes to the states for use. This is where ODFW gets their money for programs so at least there is some benefit to us.

There are more people shooting (or trying to) now that are not "shooters" and they don't have stockpiles of ammo. They are mixed in the lines at Sportsman's and Bi-Mart with all the resellers. Producing products is more expensive now, more room is needed between workers due to OSHA mandates, delivery costs are more, all kinds of factors.

Let me say this, I wish gasoline was only going to go up 5%...but it's already up about 25% since one day in January.

Edit: Typo

Last Edited:
What ammo? Most times when I go I just seen signs that say NO AMMO and the shelves reflect.

Been waiting almost a year now...

For an interesting comparison to what we are dealing with today google and read some posts on gun forums (not just NWFA) from 2008 and the years forward with regard to the shortages then.

While this shortage has had some additional 'elements' we did NOT have with previous ones there are some similarities expressed then as we see and read about today.

Last Edited:
I haven't bought any ammo since 2019. Sitting on more than I could shoot over the next 20 years.

I'll sit this out until prices drop again. Or 20 years passes. Whichever comes first.

I don't know if you are adding every possible tax on the business, but federal tax on ammunition is 11% and that money goes to the states for use. This is where ODFW gets their money for programs so at least there is some benefit to us.

There are more people shooting (or trying to) now that are not "shooters" and they don't have stockpiles of ammo. They are mixed in the lines at Sportsman's and Bi-Mart with all the resellers. Producing products is more expensive now, more room is needed between workers due to OSHA mandates, delivery costs are more, all kinds of factors.

Let me say this, I wish gasoline was only going to go up 5%...but it already up about 25% since one day in January.
I get it and understand all the factors going into the craze but we are the ones driving it. The new shooter thing is a small fraction compared to the overall gun purchases the last 12 months. As for gas, the more things open up and start driving the higher the prices will become. Supply and demand again.

I haven't bought any ammo since 2019. Sitting on more than I could shoot over the next 20 years.

I'll sit this out until prices drop again. Or 20 years passes. Whichever comes first.
Im almost in the same boat man. I've tried to keep most handguns the same caliber so always been a .40 and .45 type but bought a 9 in December so I stocked up 900 rounds but at $0.26/round. Which is still high historically.

For an interesting comparison to what we are dealing with today google and read some posts on gun forums (not just NWFA) from 2008 and the years forward with regard to the shortages then.

While this shortage has had some additional 'elements' we did NOT have with previous ones there are some similarities expressed then as we see and read about today.
The COVID crap is the biggest difference historically since 2008. It's also a reason that none of the manufacturers are increasing/expanding their operations or hiring boat loads of new people. If they increased output all would be great for them for a year or two, then the craze ends and those factories go quiet and people lose jobs etc. It'll return at some point but I doubt prices will drop considerably. I remember buying 20 count .556 for $4 in the Bush era. Then $8.99/20 was a good deal two years ago. Now they're $13.99.

Prices on everything are going up and will go up more. We are only at the beginning of the inflation that is about to happen.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top