JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a first time rifle owner, was is/are currently regarded as the best manufacturer(s) of AR-15s? I'd rather pay more up front for something I don't have to worry about than less for some hot garbage that'll disassemble for cleaning while I'm still trying to engage.

I built my last AR for $1,400ish.

PSA lower/parts kit, nickel boron BCG,
Mil-Spec buffer tube
Geissele two-stage trigger.
Aero Precision 20" upper.
JP Rifles Silent Capture Buffer.
Magpul Furniture.
Phase 5 extended bolt release.
Leupold 1.5-4x scope.

You can save a ton by not getting the Giessele trigger, silent buffer, get a standard BCG, and the Aero upper. So if you want to go this way it is a good way to go. I found it fun to build this one. I found out I hate installing the front pivot pin, but other than that, there are good ways to build it yourself and save some cash.

Even budget ar's are fine, ive had olymic arms, colt, psa and sig and the only issue i ever had was a cracked bolt at the cam pin after around 10k rounds on the olympic. Nothing rong with spending 600-1000 for a basic ar and if your worried get an extra bcg, firing pin and trigger group and youve pretty much got the bases covered for failures.

I don't know current pricing, but for a first buy where $$$ is a consideration...

I would get a basic build, but I would want pictinny rail on the upper receiver and a free floated barrel. adjustable stock would be nice. Make sure to budget for sights or an optic. If primarily for shooting under 100 yards, I would not worry about a magnified optic, at least to start.

Budget a few magazines and ammunition!

Going out and shooting with your $$$ will be better spent than getting a high dollar rig and not shooting. Repost in a year after shooting the crap out of a decent entry factory build and you will have different priorities. I went full on high end on my first build and in some ways I am happy, but I really think I would have been better served just getting the basic deal and shooting a lot instead. I did the same thing getting into reloading. Some people (like me) never learn.

Always really nice used Colt AR carbines popping up on the forum. The Colts, Daniel Defense, Sig, Brownell and IWI even are good quality upper-tier AR carbines, and there are a few others at double the $1,200-1,800 price point like H&K too.

Building one is an exceptional way to learn the gun and save a few bucks too...good luck :)

The only thing that truly matters is your trigger, barrel, and BCG. That's the heart of the rifle. The rest is just preference. Milspec upper/lower and your choice of furniture. You will pay for brands. Sometimes it's worth it other times it's not. But if you wanna be cool on Instagram than get ready to empty your pockets.

AR-15's are one of those purchases that spending more doesn't necessarily equate to better. The sweet spot for quality vs. price is $1,000 to $1,200. Some great brands to take a look at in that price range:
  • BCM
  • Aero Precision
  • Seekins
  • LWRC direct impingement
  • POF direct impingement
  • PWS
  • Colt
  • Rock River
  • Spikes Tactical

Yeah, basically need to save up for two ARs just to buy one and actually make it useful. Ridiculous.
He's not going to impose a tax. His goal will to do a buy back. He has been crystal clear on his desire to remove all "assault rifles." Luckily the republicans held the senate. Hopefully he just doesn't win.

He's not going to impose a tax. His goal will to do a buy back. He has been crystal clear on his desire to remove all "assault rifles." Luckily the republicans held the senate. Hopefully he just doesn't win.
If he can't do the buy back he'll try the tax and registry, the tax in itself will basically be a registry anyways. I think we're kinda SOL for him not winning at this point.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top