JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for this info. I have a 1996 and didn't know this.

No problem. I do want to clarify, I have almost no experience with the Chrysler side of that truck. I imagine there are computers and such in it. But for the engine alone to function requires no computerized controls. Now, whether or not Chrysler added safety features or computer controlled relays, unfortunately I have no idea. Your truck is a desirable year in that the Bosch P pump is often considered the best mechanical pump used in the Dodge/Cummins combo line.

If I remember correctly the SB Chevy is a Oversquare engine, and most of the Fords tended to run Undersquare. I won't argue that a Chevy is a viable option, because they are fine. I would imagine that oversquare engines are more suited to circle track racing though IMO.

You should do some research. Most engines are oversquare.
<broken link removed>

Very awesome platform the parts are so easy to find. I end up pulling parts of them for my 66 bronco. Ive worked on many of them. If you find one with an inline six it it you can sit on the inner finders and change most everything on the motor. If I had a garage Id pick one up for my DD then I could build t he bronco a bit more

dont just limit yourself to 68-70. 1967 - 1972 were the same body style. As far as emp proof you still have a condenser and points can get burned along with the coil. If you go with a 4wd the close knuckle front ends are expensive to rebuild and if you have limited to no experience they can be tough. 1976 is when they started with the open knuckle front ends, with disc brakes. same 390 motor but has electronic ignition. In my opinion they are easier to work on than points. and if you are seriously worried about a emp, a truck that gets 9-12 mpg is prob not the way to go unless you can refine your own fuel. Parts for the older motors, while they are still there they are getting harder to come by. And please dont take it that I am bashing these truck as I am not in any way. I currently own one and have had probably 15 of them over the years.

oh and yes I have a gas sucking, tire burning,stump jumping ford in the driveway. But my bug out,. post shtf rig is a cummins powered suburban with ford running gear

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 360 or a 302. A Duraspark setup costs about as much as a Pertronix unit, is less failure-prone and replacement parts (if ever actually needed) can be purchased at ANY auto parts store, unlike a Pertronix unit, which are fairly fragile.

302= single thrust bearing, not good for towing or hauling. 360 in my experience is a POS and does not have the torque or HP of the 390 but the same MPG,it is a 390 block with 352 crank/rods only thing going for most is the valve seats were hardened sooner. I like my 55 f100 better then any of the 70's trucks anyway. Dura spark is great as well but not an easy switch to or back if needed, only need a screwdriver for the pertronix, taking his idea for a EMP proof vehicle into account.

I have had 10 or so of the older Fords, from 1966 through 1972, and loved them. I had a 1968 F250, blue like the one in the photos above with a 4 speed and 390, dual tanks. Great truck, sold it to a buddy on here. I think it is just sitting now and bet he would sell it reasonable. Send me a PM if you are interested and I will give you his contact info.

Those old Fords are so solid and will take an incredible amount of abuse without stopping.

Everything on them is great,except the front ends *forditis*
That wonderful "twin I beam suspension" wears the front tires out if you don't do front end alignments a lot or rebuild the front end. Every ford I have had went through too many tires

Hence,now a Chevy man.
Maybe OK if you get an older one with a solid front axle,or 4X4 with the same.

You should do some research. Most engines are oversquare.
<broken link removed>

I never meant that most engines were undersquare. I remembered for some reason thinking that Chevy utilized shorter strokes with similar displacement before Ford really did. Maybe I am wrong. Or maybe I am thinking of pre this generation engine. Either way I apologize. It's been several years since I worked much with gas automotive engines. It is almost all diesel now, or generators, which is a totally different animal.

(So yes, my previous post was written poorly. It did not convey what I intended it to! :s0131:)

Last Edited:
Also not true. A 360 is a 352 with a larger bore. As far as 'tougher internals cause they were intended to be a truck engine", you must be thinking of the 361/391 FT motors.

The 360 cubic inch (or 5.9 L) V-8, came out in the 1968 model year and was used as the standard motor in many F-series pickups and trucks. It was a de-stroked 410 motor with a 4.05 inch (102.87 mm) bore and a 3.5 inch (88.9 mm) stroke – same stroke as the antecedent 352 engine. The motor was constructed especially for trucks using heavy-duty internal parts. With a 352/390 cam, normally used in passenger vehicles, and special distributor and carburetor adjustments, these gave the 360 performance characteristics similar to a car engine. The 360 two barrel version developed 215 horsepower (160.3 kW) at 420 rpm and 375 lb. ft of torque at 3600 rpm.

No problem. I do want to clarify, I have almost no experience with the Chrysler side of that truck. I imagine there are computers and such in it. But for the engine alone to function requires no computerized controls. Now, whether or not Chrysler added safety features or computer controlled relays, unfortunately I have no idea. Your truck is a desirable year in that the Bosch P pump is often considered the best mechanical pump used in the Dodge/Cummins combo line.

I believe 93 and newer have an ECM that controls the alternator as well, it prone to failure (heck the electronics are 20 years old) but with a simple wiring change an external regulator can be installed. Also from 90 on (maybe 89) some truck had ABS computer.

I believe 93 and newer have an ECM that controls the alternator as well, it prone to failure (heck the electronics are 20 years old) but with a simple wiring change an external regulator can be installed. Also from 90 on (maybe 89) some truck had ABS computer.

None of that would suprise me. Still, there is nothing on the engine that would prevent it from working. Any issues would be on the Chrysler side.

Just FYI there is an 86 Ford 4x4 with the 6.9L diesel and a nice canopy for 2500. Not related to the seller but its a good deal for anyone who needed a pickup. Way better mileage then a V-8, four wheel drive and a mechanically controlled diesel engine. Hard to beat.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top