JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SIG 1911's are excellent; I have a Stainless SIG 1911 and it has been flawless. Great shooting handgun! Also if you are interested in a stainless one, I like that SIG makes theirs with a SATIN finish that is non-reflective.

SIG 1911's are excellent; I have a Stainless SIG 1911 and it has been flawless. Great shooting handgun! Also if you are interested in a stainless one, I like that SIG makes theirs with a SATIN finish that is non-reflective.

Thats good info man Thanks!! I did not know that they made a satin/non reflective.

For production 1911's the top two...in my humble opinion...are Dan Wesson and the Springfield TRP.

For semi custom, I'm a Wilson fan although Gun Crafter, Brown, Baer and Nighthawk make good products.

If I could only buy one, I'd splurge for a Wilson. But that's me. YMMV

I wanted to mention one more - the S&W Enhanced 1911. I have this on my want list. It's not a gun you hear a lot about, but talking to folks that have owned and shot them, including 2 gunsmiths, they are well made, reliable guns. And while the looks may not appeal to traditionalists, I have to say I really like it myself. Runs about the same price as the Rugers and Springfields.

View attachment 334107
I've had my eye on an E Series S&W for awhile. This one:

IMG_0375.JPG

But I haven't had the chance to shoot one yet. Anyone here have experience with the this model?

If *I'm* picking up the check? A plain-jane WWII-style GI Milspec model, complete with arched MSH and high unflared ejection.

If *you're* picking up the check? A Cabot like the one Joe Mantegna bought to use while filming Criminal Minds.

If *Bill Gates* is picking up the check? A pair of Guncrafter .50's customized like the "handed" pair I redrew blueprints for in college.

If *I'm* picking up the check? A plain-jane WWII-style GI Milspec model, complete with arched MSH and high unflared ejection.

If *you're* picking up the check? A Cabot like the one Joe Mantegna bought to use while filming Criminal Minds.

If *Bill Gates* is picking up the check? A pair of Guncrafter .50's customized like the "handed" pair I redrew blueprints for in college.

You may need Bills money just to buy the plain Jainer GI 1911.

That's if it's one of the $50,000 - $100,000 Singers. ;)

Rock Island Auction: Singer - 1911A1

Last Edited:
LOL, I said "WWII style," not "WWII VINTAGE". :) Stick the right slide and MSH on a $350 Rock and I'm happy as a clam... hell, the one I carried in the line of duty was a homebuild (not by me; second owner) Essex frame/slide kit that seems better than many factory models I've handled.

Trust me, those Guncrafters would be getting some pretty radical changes... I reworked the 1911 into a dual plunger-tube design, with the slide-stop and ejection port opposite from the safety, though both would use standard mags. None of this Portsider Punking about "lefty mag in righty gun"...

I mentioned this in briefly in another thread but over the Christmas Holiday I had the opportunity to shoot a friends Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911 .

To say the least I am hooked and now want to own one or maybe two. o_O

I would love to know everyone's opinion on which 1911 they love and If they could only buy one what would it be and why. Please feel free to post pics of your favorite.:)

Steffan

Steffan the 1911s in my collection are a Springfield Loaded black stainless and a Kimber Classic series 1 stainless. I have owned the Taurus PT 1911 as well .

The Kimber has an excellent slide fit almost zero play, side to side, or up and down and a great trigger and finish. It's probably my most accurate pistol in my collection. And with night sights and 9 rounds it's pretty versatile. I have only replaced the mim slide release and played w different mainsprings. A very reliable, quality piece. To me.

The Springfield has a bit more play in the slide and a stiffer trigger, that I actually prefer for HD, adjustable target rear sights and a beautiful black and stainless finish. It has a full length guide rod like the Kimber, but takes an Allen wrench to disassemble. It has been extremely reliable and accurate. Feels like a well built quality pistol.

The Taurus was the only one I had to change the front blade height to shoot to point. It was reliable but the quality wasn't quite on par with the others and was an easy decision when selling.

I was thinking of keeping only one but I honestly can't decide.

I would think Sig makes a good one. Even though they do some things their own way on the 1911s. I've had good luck with their other pistols. And good for you for getting some info before buying. I'm sure there are many great 1911 manufacturers. Dan Wesson, Les Baer , Brown , Wilson, Colt, Ruger and on. Best of luck on finding yours.

Web shot of the Black stainless.

317575_01_springfield_armory_loaded_blac_640.jpg
IMG_20170301_164742.jpg
IMG_20170302_072543.jpg

Last Edited:
Steffan the 1911s in my collection are a Springfield Loaded black stainless and a Kimber Classic series 1 stainless. I have owned the Taurus PT 1911 as well .

The Kimber has an excellent slide fit almost zero play, side to side, or up and down and a great trigger and finish. It's probably my most accurate pistol in my collection. And with night sights and 9 rounds it's pretty versatile. I have only replaced the mim slide release and played w different mainsprings. A very reliable, quality piece. To me.

The Springfield has a bit more play in the slide and a stiffer trigger, that I actually prefer for HD, adjustable target rear sights and a beautiful black and stainless finish. It has a full length guide rod like the Kimber, but takes an Allen wrench to disassemble. It has been extremely reliable and accurate. Feels like a well built quality pistol.

The Taurus was the only one I had to change the front blade height to shoot to point. It was reliable but the quality wasn't quite on par with the others and was an easy decision when selling.

I was thinking of keeping only one but I honestly can't decide.

I would think Sig makes a good one. Even though they do some things their own way on the 1911s. I've had good luck with their other pistols. And good for you for getting some info before buying. I'm sure there are many great 1911 manufacturers. Dan Wesson, Les Baer , Brown , Wilson, Colt, Ruger and on. Best of luck on finding yours.

Web shot of the Black stainless.

View attachment 347962
View attachment 347965
View attachment 347966

Thank you. I am still looking and really have come to the point I just need to hold and shoot more before I make a decision. I haven't spent to much time lately on doing this with all the other projects I have been doing with my current fire arms.

I will say this the black stainless is a sexy damn gun. ;):)

Thank you. I am still looking and really have come to the point I just need to hold and shoot more before I make a decision. I haven't spent to much time lately on doing this with all the other projects I have been doing with my current fire arms.

I will say this the black stainless is a sexy damn gun. ;):)

Lets shoot pistols next time as well and I'll bring that para expert. May be a low end gun but it is sold as a rock so far. Would like some houge grips to make the grip a bit wider but I'm dragging my feet on it.

Hey everyone. Ive owned a few 1911s in the past - Remington R1 basic, Llama 1911, and a Springfield basic model. Ive been without a 1911 for over 5 years now and felt the need to have one again. Heres the thing though - I love stainless. I placed an order online at cabelas for a 1911 R1 enhanced. It has everything id want in a 1911 but is not stainless. Today I saw a stainless Ruger sr1911 target model online for about $100 more than the enhanced I bought. Im starting to wonder if I should cancel my order or just stick with it the r1 enhanced and get a stainless one later in the future. Decisions, decisions. With the sale cabelas is having along with a $20 coupon and some cabelas club points, I feel like I got a killer deal and reviews seem outstanding for the r1 enhanced. Anyone have any experiences with either?

If you buy the Ruger you won't be upset. We have a standard Ruger SR1911 that I bought shortly after they first came out. It's a great gun, like most 1911s and has given us zero trouble. The only thing I don't like about it is the "two tone" effect given to the controls (I'd prefer they were silver, not black) and I don't like the groove down the center of the hammer spur. Both of these are aesthetic that I don't care for, but this gun is a great shooter. More likely to get positive comments on the Ruger than one of my "fancier" 1911s. If something happened to my Dan Wesson, I'd buy a Ruger CMD and work it over a little.

Hey everyone. Ive owned a few 1911s in the past - Remington R1 basic, Llama 1911, and a Springfield basic model. Ive been without a 1911 for over 5 years now and felt the need to have one again. Heres the thing though - I love stainless. I placed an order online at cabelas for a 1911 R1 enhanced. It has everything id want in a 1911 but is not stainless. Today I saw a stainless Ruger sr1911 target model online for about $100 more than the enhanced I bought. Im starting to wonder if I should cancel my order or just stick with it the r1 enhanced and get a stainless one later in the future. Decisions, decisions. With the sale cabelas is having along with a $20 coupon and some cabelas club points, I feel like I got a killer deal and reviews seem outstanding for the r1 enhanced. Anyone have any experiences with either?

The specs look nearly identical on both. I had a ruger and loved it. I have never heard a bad word about the SR or the R1. Biggest difference is sights and color. Go with your gut (stainless), the $100 will not matter by the time you get it. You can always pick up the R1 later if you feel the need.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top