JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mentioned this in briefly in another thread but over the Christmas Holiday I had the opportunity to shoot a friends Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911 .

To say the least I am hooked and now want to own one or maybe two. o_O

I would love to know everyone's opinion on which 1911 they love and If they could only buy one what would it be and why. Please feel free to post pics of your favorite.:)

Steffan

If it were me, right now I would pick up a Springfield Range Officer or GI model. You get the forged frame and slide and the RO has a match barrel, adjustable rear sights depending on the model, FO front sights, beavertail grip safety and skelotonized trigger. For the $$ I think the RO is about as good as it gets. Great out of the box and a great platform to build on should you go that way. Some of the best 1911 smiths will only work on certain 1911 mfg guns, SA and Colt are always on the top of the list. My personal opinion is you'll pay a little more for the pony on the side w/out gaining anything but a pony on the side.

Obviously you're budget will determine where you end up. Both Colt and SA have custom shops and a little higher end production guns also. One thing to consider is 1911's generally aren't cheap so having good customer support should you need it is high on the list when choosing a platform. Not just a company that will make it right but one that will make you feel you made a smart purchase. I've used a number of customer services from some of the most widely known manufacturers (not afraid to send something back) and IMO Springfield Armory is hard to beat. Most reputable mfgs will have decent customer support.

If your budget is $1500+ Dan Wesson makes a production gun that will rival some semi-customs, very well put together. Believed to be one of the best fitted guns for the $$ and also have good customer support. For $2k+ the 1st place I would look is Les Baer, undeniably one of the most accurate and solid 1911's out there. Like DW you don't get a lot of frills w/LB just a solid, reliable, accurate 1911. Les can be a Baer to work with should things not be up to your standards. His frames have a little different grip than a std 1911 but there are a lot of options out there for aftermarket LB grips.

Over $2k, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Guncrafter or full custom which can run you $7k+. There are a number of players out there.

I'm a SA fan personally (if you can't tell). The base gun + the custom shop will rival anything out there. 1911's are kind of like the hot rods of the gun world, once you learn them they're easy to work on and very upgradeable. Les Baer is a hot rod guy, he even names some of his 1911's after his cars. Jesse James went from customizing bikes and cars to building custom 1911's.

If I were you I'd spend a little time on a couple of the 1911 forums (there are 2 that are worthy), you'll quickly learn a lot. Shoot as many as you can before you buy, if/when you do buy one it won't be the last :) I have them from 3" barrels to 6" barrels in 9mm, 38 super, 45 and 10mm. I currently only have 2 semi-autos that aren't 1911's a 9mm Hi-Power and a S&W 1006. I plan on getting more 1911's for sure, anything other than a 1911 is just to tickle my fancy 'cept maybe another Hi-power or 2 or 3.........

Last Edited:
If it was me , I'd look into a ex GI gun.
You can still find them in good shape and have a working gun that has a place in history.
Or maybe a pre series 80 Colt model.
Both of these options will cost about the same.
( excluding some pre-war guns of course )
So I guess it depends on what you want and budget.
Andy

If it was me , I'd look into a ex GI gun.
You can still find them in good shape and have a working gun that has a place in history.
Or maybe a pre series 80 Colt model.
Both of these options will cost about the same.
( excluding some pre-war guns of course )
So I guess it depends on what you want and budget.
Andy

OOOH! I really like that Idea. Wasn't what I really was thinking about but you guys always give me an excuse to buy something new. Think I need a raise in 2017:D

I'm trying really hard to hold on to the Para stainless I have... I really would rather have a Beretta 92 because I have way more 9mm ammo and it's cheaper but I just can't let it go yet.

But once a week or so I consider putting it up for trade:oops:.

I mentioned this in briefly in another thread but over the Christmas Holiday I had the opportunity to shoot a friends Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911 .

To say the least I am hooked and now want to own one or maybe two. o_O

I would love to know everyone's opinion on which 1911 they love and If they could only buy one what would it be and why. Please feel free to post pics of your favorite.:)

Steffan

Have 2 Sringfields that I love right now. Mainly because they just work no matter what. One belonged to my Father who is long gone so it holds some value to me of course. One Colt that is far older than me, WWI issue. Been re done so much that has no collector value. Quit carrying it years ago as the age makes me wonder when something will give out. :oops:
I always say if I win the Lotto I will have to have at least one "high end" . Ed Brown maybe, just because. If I had to get rid of mine and could only have one right now? TRP from Springfield. Unless of course I was going to spring for an Ed Brown. :cool:

I have owned 4 1911s, a Dan Wesson, a Springfield and two Guncrafters. The DW and Springer were both sold and this is whats left.

20150709_1608261.jpg

My Frag, had to have it as soon as I saw it.

054.jpg

This is my No Name, just a basic, not many frills 1911

The Dan wesson was nice but the trigger on the No name is about perfect.

I may be putting up one for sale soon. I am getting the itch for a new dog.

I think for the features and quality for the price, you can't beat the Sig 1911 line. I looked at all of them in the $1500 and under range. I decided on the Sig Tacops and even sprung for the threaded barrel. I liked the TRP operator but decided I wasn't getting much for the additional $500 other than it being a Springfield. The Sig has a forged stainless frame which separates it from the "budget" 1911s that have cast frames but still shoot very well. It also has a match barrel, ambi slide safety, extended grip safety, skeltonized hammer and trigger(adjustable), flared magwell, front strap checkering as well as checkered main spring housing, external extractor, accessory rail and really nice night sights. I also love the Ergo grips that come on them:D you can also get the "Traditional" models with a std 1911 style slide if you aren't into the Sig cut slide. The Tacops comes with 4 8rd mags as well. The trigger is excellent and makes for an extremely accurate combination. Good luck with your search:)

Nice thing about 1911s is with the engineering package being Public Domain, as long as you can get forgings, read a blueprint, work machines and get the parts the only limit is your imagination. :)

Someday I want to build a replica set of 47's handed nickel-plated longslides... not buy off the shelf, not have a Custom Shop do to my spec, work the materials and assembly so the only thing I need to outsource is the finish and engraving.

I've owned many over the years, from multiple makers. They all performed as intended.

I now find myself owning the fewest I've ever owned. I have a Series 70 Colt safe queen, and a Ruger commander-length Night Watchman. I've had guns costing a whole lot more, but none of them did anything this Ruger wont do. And if I had decided to keep only a Kimber, or another Colt, or even a Springfield, I could say the same thing about them.

WAYNO.

I'm trying really hard to hold on to the Para stainless I have... I really would rather have a Beretta 92 because I have way more 9mm ammo and it's cheaper but I just can't let it go yet.

But once a week or so I consider putting it up for trade:oops:.

Don't do it Joe!!! you will regret it just wait and you will get what you want in addition to keeping it.;) But if you do decide let me know I'd be interested :D

I think for the features and quality for the price, you can't beat the Sig 1911 line. I looked at all of them in the $1500 and under range. I decided on the Sig Tacops and even sprung for the threaded barrel. I liked the TRP operator but decided I wasn't getting much for the additional $500 other than it being a Springfield. The Sig has a forged stainless frame which separates it from the "budget" 1911s that have cast frames but still shoot very well. It also has a match barrel, ambi slide safety, extended grip safety, skeltonized hammer and trigger(adjustable), flared magwell, front strap checkering as well as checkered main spring housing, external extractor, accessory rail and really nice night sights. I also love the Ergo grips that come on them:D you can also get the "Traditional" models with a std 1911 style slide if you aren't into the Sig cut slide. The Tacops comes with 4 8rd mags as well. The trigger is excellent and makes for an extremely accurate combination. Good luck with your search:)

I looked at the Tacops and really liked it as well. I'm guessing if I had the cash on me it would have been going home with me. I have found that my taste is getting more expensive so I really want to do my research and buy what I want. Unless I win the lottery. :oops::D

I've owned many over the years, from multiple makers. They all performed as intended.

I now find myself owning the fewest I've ever owned. I have a Series 70 Colt safe queen, and a Ruger commander-length Night Watchman. I've had guns costing a whole lot more, but none of them did anything this Ruger wont do. And if I had decided to keep only a Kimber, or another Colt, or even a Springfield, I could say the same thing about them.

WAYNO.

How does the Ruger compare in price? I have never picked up a gun and had such good grouping right out of the gate as I did with the Sig. I may have to go shoot one before I purchase. It could just be the platform but I was just amazed at how it felt.

How does the Ruger compare in price? I have never picked up a gun and had such good grouping right out of the gate as I did with the Sig. I may have to go shoot one before I purchase. It could just be the platform but I was just amazed at how it felt.

The brushed stainless Rugers can be had for a bit over $600. The Night Watchman (blackened stainless) is closer to $800, last time I looked.

If the Sig felt good to you, I would suggest it's the platform that felt good.

If you wanna shoot my Ruger, you're welcome to do so.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR