JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What do you guys think about deer hunting wit a 1911 10mm for deer within 100 yards probably much closer to 50 yards thanks
With the right ammo the deer we have up here could certainly be harvested with one. The only thing I would be leery of is the hunter. As long as the hunter is not one of the "I shoot at deer" as opposed to "I shoot deer" type hunters. I have seen a few shooters who could shoot a 1911 at 50yrds but very few. If you are actually good enough with one to put the round where you want it at that range? Hell why not. The round can certainly do the job as long as the shooter can put it where it needs to be.

People do it. There youtuby videos of people hunting elk with a 10mm. But they are at archery distances or closer.
I would say even 50 yards is a stretch.
you will more than likely need a good barrel and be looking at less than 30 yards with a crap ton of practice.
I've hunted (Didn't have an opportunity) with my G20 for deer. But I was looking at close distances. Less than 40 yards.

I would take a cautioned position on this. Under 50? 1911? Totally doable. But that said, personally, I don't "experiment" in killing game. The 10mm would get it done. I guess it is legal. Good luck. Let us know how it comes out. Maybe even a picture.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement... If you can't put 10 shots in a coffee cup at 100 yds every time I'd say whatever you are shooting rifle or pistol is the wrong tool for the job.

I'm a HUGE 10mm fan.

Is the platform and caliber capable of taking a deer at 100 yards? Absolutely. Are your capable of hitting a 6" plate at 100 yards with it? EVERY time?

Personally, when hunting, my 10mm is on my hip should Smoky the Bear or Laura the Lioness decides to get frisky and use parts of my body as sporting equipment. My rifles can do the game harvesting much more efficiently.

Make for damn sure YOU are capable of making that shot 100% of the time before even attempting it at a live animal. Practice regularly. Don't think because you did it once you can do it again, especially when you have a deer in your sights and the adrenaline is running.

Also, make sure your tracking skills are on point. You're going to need them if/when you do connect.

Check out razor dobbs on utube taking hogs to big game with his 10mm razorback, bieng a crack shot is the key, i recommend underwood ammo for the 10mm if you havent already.

100 or even 50 yards with a pistol, too risky, have to respect your prey.
archery range I'm sure its possible.

Not to be argumentative but just what we consider archery these days is different than before. When I was a kid (16) I shot a doe with an arrow. It was a Long shot.. 35 yds. I think it was pretty common to be considered long archery at 40 yds even for an advanced adult shooter at that time.

"Archery Range" with modern tech is pretty widely considered to be past 50 yds.

Not to be argumentative but just what we consider archery these days is different than before. When I was a kid (16) I shot a doe with an arrow. It was a Long shot.. 35 yds. I think it was pretty common to be considered long archery at 40 yds even for an advanced adult shooter at that time.

Man thats for sure my First bow was 70# draw and the pins were about a 1.25 inch spread between the 20-50yrs pins my newer 45# bow all the pins are basicly touching and less then 30yrds all the pins are on target.

Buffalo Bore ans Underwood full power loads from a 10mm carbine would probably be better for the deer hunting... unless this is for the handgun/pistol season and not the rifle season?

Edit. Looks like there's no such thing as "handgun season" or "rifle season" but rather, archery season, firearm season, and muzzleloader season?
WA DFW seems to say minimum .24 caliber centerfire, 4" barrel minimum for big game handgun hunting... except cougars, which has a .22 caliber centerfire minimum :rolleyes:

Maybe at a target, but I don't know a single archery hunter who will take a shot at a deer or elk past 60 yards. 60 is my personal archery max and that's if I have a perfect broadside and can't possibly get any closer.
This^^
even some of the best archery hunters in the world Dudley, Hanes, etc do not like to shoot past 30-40 yards. And they are the best. Cam Hanes shoots his 80lb bow at 100 yards all the time, but not on elk

As one who has spent a lot of time (like my whole gun 'life' so far) field shooting and varmint hunting with handguns I'll be the first to admit I believe big game hunting with a handgun is something that needs to be taken very seriously and with the right equipment. Most handgun hunters I have known have used long barreled revolvers or target type handguns that are designed for and capable of consistent accuracy and practice frequently with them so they are confident of their abilities.
I have owned and shoot 1911s (only one now) and I have messed around with long range shooting with mine (50-100) yards and while hits can be made at those ranges a 1911 can not be counted on for consistent hunting type accuracy at those ranges - with 50 still a stretch.
I completely agree with the following:
If you can't put 10 shots in a coffee cup at 100 yds every time I'd say whatever you are shooting rifle or pistol is the wrong tool for the job.

I'll stretch it to maybe 6" with a handgun but that needs to be EVERYTIME.

Because there are better tools for the job. You could probably frame a house with a shovel. Not sure why you would. Just curious. That's why I asked.

Agreed.

I thought your comment was in response to my "Hold my beer..." comment. LOL :D

IMO, in a proper revolver or pistol with adequate barrel length, sight radius, scope, skillz, etc, a guy could probably indulge his instinct for a challenge. I just don't see good hunting ethics unless those conditions are met. I don't know the OP so I can't comment on skillz (I know people that can hit an 8" plate at 100yds) but a 1911 doesn't seem like the best equip choice to me. Just my opinion. FWIW

To me, archery is no different than rifle, hand gun, Black Powder. All that matters to me is can the person shooting at the animal consistently hit what they aim at. In this case the kill zone so the animal is not just wounded to run off and bleed out. Too many hunters shoot "at" game. For me archery would be too far at 20yds as it's been so damn long since I used one. Now if someone can hit the kill shot regularly at 50yds with that same bow? Great, go for it. Sadly way too many shooters and hunters have VERY elevated idea's of their skill level. Go shooting with many of them and they can not shoot anything like they talk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top