JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with everything my hunting has all but vanished cause of my wife's health I don't go far from home and as this will be my only weapon I thought maybe a 10mm just in case I had a chance to hunt but the more I think on it the more my joys will be short walks in the woods and at the gravel pit shooting I have found a Dan Wesson Vigil that is very nice I like it's clean lines vs the more tactical look of the RO Elite thanks for all your advise and as soon as I get it in my hands I'll post some pics have a great day and stay safe

Buffalo Bore ans Underwood full power loads from a 10mm carbine would probably be better for the deer hunting... unless this is for the handgun/pistol season and not the rifle season?

Edit. Looks like there's no such thing as "handgun season" or "rifle season" but rather, archery season, firearm season, and muzzleloader season?
WA DFW seems to say minimum .24 caliber centerfire, 4" barrel minimum for big game handgun hunting... except cougars, which has a .22 caliber centerfire minimum :rolleyes:
Buffalo Bore ans Underwood full power loads from a 10mm carbine would probably be better for the deer hunting... unless this is for the handgun/pistol season and not the rifle season?

Edit. Looks like there's no such thing as "handgun season" or "rifle season" but rather, archery season, firearm season, and muzzleloader season?
WA DFW seems to say minimum .24 caliber centerfire, 4" barrel minimum for big game handgun hunting... except cougars, which has a .22 caliber centerfire minimum :rolleyes:
Sounds like hunting with a 25 ACP would be legal :eek: if it has a four inch barrel. Am I correct or not? Not that I would do that

All I can say is have some respect for the animal you are shooting at. Know your ability and type of ammo that you use. Preferably a flat point bullet, not a hollow point (they tend to separate) . You want penetration for a clean kill. For deer I say 25-30 yards max, kind of like bow hunting. I love the 10mm and own quite a few platforms. 180 or 200 grain flat point would be my choice for deer. Like others have said you might be able to hit it at longer distances, but do you hit it where you want to? Just my .02. I usually only carry a handgun in the woods for protection from all species, including man.

This year I made a less then perfect shot on a running buck with my 25-06 and left my rifle in the pick up (stupid) when I went to retrieve my very much still alive animal. One 10mm 180gr Sig V Crown through the lungs at about 35 yards dropped him instantly. I wouldn't hesitate to use 10mm on another deer. I went out and bought a CMMG Banshee 10mm for the specific purpose of using it to deer hunt in rifle restricted units.

You MIGHT get lucky enough to get real close without it noticing you and get a clean head shot from 30 feet. A couple years back there was a deer just that far I chose to let go because it was early in the season and it didn't feel sporting. Ended up being empty handed, oh well.

I tend to think handgun hunting belongs to the skilled beyond myself and I also believe if it can kill a man, it can kill a deer and 10mm can certainly kill a man. YMMV

What do you guys think about deer hunting wit a 1911 10mm for deer within 100 yards probably much closer to 50 yards thanks
1911? SURE!...I pick this one...

1597468760648.png
...unfortunately, it only comes in .45 acp.
However, they do make long slide 10mil's...

1597468892469.png
...:s0155:

I killed my first Whitetail deer with a .44 Magnum revolver. Like a lot of other folks, I think your real concern will be range, not round.

I was also a bow hunter. When gun season came in I set up like I would for bow hunting and kept the range short. Be sure to zero with your hunting load and have fun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top