JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First I would like to say that i dont not mean to badmount the 10/22. I just simple dont understand why people like them so much. I got one for my first gun when I was about 12. I shot thousands of rounds threw it, I loved it. but it was my only gun and I had nothing to compare it to. Now I have several 22 rifles. and the 10/22 is my least favorite. I have a about 6 or 7 22 rifles. a few sears ones, a glenfield model 60, a marlin 39a. I cant think of them all now. the 10/22 is a little more reliable than a few of my other semiauto rifles, but it is the least acurate. In fact my model 60 glenfield in more accurate, more reliable and less than half the price.

I dont understand the 10/22 craze. Is it just becouse of all the aftermarket parts for them or something? What do you think?

Well, they do make more aftermarket parts for them than any other gun besides an ar-15. I think it might be because there wasnt many options for a semi-auto 22lr rifle when it was introduced. 5 million copies sold aint bad!
I'm still trying to figure out why my S&W 22a isnt more popular too :)

I've got 2, but I prefer the accuracy of the marlin and their microgroove rifling.

I think the 10/22 is more of a "platform" to build from rather than a great semi-auto 22. They aren't that accurate out of the box, but they have a multitude of accessories and aftermarket parts that is incredible.

But it's difficult to find accessories readily available and for shooting 25-50 rnds without reloading for any other .22.

You hit it on the head - accessories baby!

The 10/22 is a proven little rifle and can be dressed up or down. You can make it look like something else (e.g. a german machine gun from WWII to a sniper rifle).

You can shoot the heck out of it and a few have made machine guns out of them. You have choices from stock to sights and all the rest.

You mentioned accuracy. You're in the wrong mindset when your talking about 10/22's.... Don't get me wrong they shoot great for a plinker but this is not the gun your going for distance shots. But for plain plinking and having a blast and the ability to "dress" it up simply by dropping it into a new stock or whatever... you can't beat it.

What's the deal? It's cheap and easily and readily upgraded. Meaning you can buy a plain jane and simply put a new stock on it and now you have a "look alike" AK. I mean just look at what you can do on Cheaperthandirt.com

I have several 22s. remington 514 real good shooter, Marlin/Glenfield 60 super shooter, a few savage single shots dead to rights on target, Mossberg 42B, and others but Im getting my ruger ON with a 10/22 build and yes I know it going to cost me but looooook at all the goooodies available.

While rugers aren't the best accuracy.. you just don't hear many, if any, complaints about their reliability. Unlike some of the other POS's like the 597 I bought because I didn't want to spend the extra $40 to get the Ruger.

(Maybe my 597 will be "fixed" when I finally receive it back from A&C...)

I like the .22 round, cheap and fun. I like the 10/22 as well, fun to shoot and cheap as well. If I am doing "serious" .22 shooting, well I would be using my Weatherby XXII or Ruger 77/22.

The Marlin/Glenfield 60 is a fine rifle as are many of the Savages from 40+ years ago and let us not forget the Brownings! But tinkering with barrels and stocks is not quite as convenient nor as cheap as playing with the 10/22.

mine is only good for letting the kids bang it around. in 10 rounds 4 or 5 will malfunction in one way or another. i know i probably need better magazines- the factory 10 rounders are pretty beat up and abused from my younger take-it-apart-and-see-how-it-works-then-put-it-back-together-wrong days.

Bro, these are just plain fun to shoot guns. Oh and the pro loader is awesome too, dump a box in a plastic tube, shake, insert ruger mag, loads instantly.

every try cleaning and reassembling your mags the right way? The factory mags are the most reliable 10-22 mags available!

i don't think you really can dissassemble the factory 10/22 mags and reassemble correctly- the spring is timed at the factory, and there's no definate way to re-time them once they're apart. you might get lucky, but it's probably going to be way too tight or way too loose. im pretty sure mine are way too loose.

i'd rather just buy new ones

well its all been said but i want to say it as well.

high capacity mags probably #1 reason that open the door for popularity
folding and collapsable stocks
body kits like the krinker plinker.
upgradable trigger groups
upgradable barrels
upgradable stocks
other upgradable parts
low cost out of the box
very common
lightweight fun to shoot out of the box
easy to work on
lots of accessories
was banned in some configurations during the 94 ban cause of the hi cap mags and folding stocks (ban something and bring up the interest and demand)

no not as accurate out of the box as a bolt action .22 with a 24" barrel but a lot more fun rock star mag dumping fun. and since men have a urge to tare things about to see how they work and make em better again something to tinker with as well

well its all been said but i want to say it as well.

high capacity mags probably #1 reason that open the door for popularity
folding and collapsable stocks
body kits like the krinker plinker.
upgradable trigger groups
upgradable barrels
upgradable stocks
other upgradable parts
low cost out of the box
very common
lightweight fun to shoot out of the box
easy to work on
lots of accessories
was banned in some configurations during the 94 ban cause of the hi cap mags and folding stocks (ban something and bring up the interest and demand)

no not as accurate out of the box as a bolt action .22 with a 24" barrel but a lot more fun rock star mag dumping fun. and since men have a urge to tare things about to see how they work and make em better again something to tinker with as well

sounds a lot like a vw bug :)

i don't think you really can dissassemble the factory 10/22 mags and reassemble correctly- the spring is timed at the factory, and there's no definate way to re-time them once they're apart. you might get lucky, but it's probably going to be way too tight or way too loose. im pretty sure mine are way too loose.

I've disassembled several and put them back into working order.
10/22 Mag cleaning and disassembly

my 10/22 works great if I had to pick only one gun to keep it would be my 10/22.it always works no madder how dirty it get and it shoots cheap ammo.for 15$ I can have fun all day.

what are the best "hi-cap" mags for 10/22s? i'd actually love to get the thing reliable- would cut down on training costs, to a degree. not much good for marksmanship, but fine for a number of CQB drills

Sorry bkb0000;90867.

I disassemble and clean them all the time, as needed. And they cycle perfectly. They are a little tricky to put back together the first couple of times, but then it's easy. I even think you'd find a web site with instructions, if you Google it.

See, only been here a short time, and ya's already learned something new! :D

And don't 'sweat it', most of what any of us know, we learned by screwing it up ourselves first!

Frog.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads