Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Youtube Pushing Anti-Gun Ads on Gun Videos

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PuddleMonkey, Dec 22, 2012.

1. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice this? I clicked on a 1911 video today and in starts this looooooooong 90 second advertisement with all these actors and artists clamoring about "demand a plan". Don't go giving their website any hits, I googled and found out what they're demanding:

1) Require criminal background checks for ALL gun sales, including private sales

2) Ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines

3) Make gun trafficking a federal crime, including real penalties for “straw purchasers”

So my question is, do the video uploaders not have any say in what type of ads are ran?

2. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

It may not be youtube as much as their webspiders or the ad people who manage to weasel their way into gun videos. The ads are random and are probably generated by keywords, content, category by the advertiser, etc..

That is my theory anyhow.. I don't know all the details, but I do know something about how other internet ads work based on search words, content matching , etc. It is usually done by an algorithm , rather than by a human. But who knows.

3. Vantage

Vantage Pacific Standard Time Active Member

I don't think YouTubers have any say in what ads get ran on their videos. In fact... (I don't know for sure) but I'd bet that YouTube itself doesn't manually manage what ads are ran.

My guess is that it's similar to how most advertising is: The more you pay, the more often the ad gets ran. And it's probably triggered (no pun intended..:) ) by the type of video you watch. So... if you watch a video about making a salad, then you're likely to get ads related to selling salad shooters and other crap like that.

Bloomberg has said he's going to commit a large portion of his massive wealth to fighting guns. And our current environment is the perfect time for him to strike. A horrific crime has been committed, the peoples emotions are high, and we have liberal anti-gun people in power. This is the time to spend the money, keep the momentum going, and strike while the iron is hot.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more of this type of stuff on TV and billboards and newspapers as well.

4. Widerstand

Widerstand Portland rebmeM roineS

I am a youtube partner and we have no control as to what ad are played on our videos. The ads each users sees is custom to them for the most part.

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It doesn't matter what ads you see if the people that own the videos are signed up to receive payment for the ad hits they would still get paid for each hit. By not going to the videos you would be hurting the video owners some of whom generate a part of their income through You Tube.

6. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Google owns YouTube,

Google has their own advertising (AdSense) that they use across their products (YouTube included)

Google is located in California

Any other questions?

7. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

The media wants you to believe America does not want guns . The anti gun people have been the minority but they want us to believe they are the majority they want you to think being antil gun is popular like voting for Obummer is popular

even though its not so.

RICKRWS and (deleted member) like this.
  8. just dan

just dan PDX Active Member

the ads are custom fit based on keywords, tags, meta data, etc... but keep in mind Youtube is a Google company; Google is (or at least in the recent past has been) openly anti-gun.

9. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

Google may be anti-gun, but they are not exactly anti-freedom, as far as their media is concerned. I actually had some respect for them, when they refused to remove the controversial Mohammad movie, despite demands from Obama and The White House to do so as a result of the Benghazi massacre and the global outcry by Muslims around the world. This isn't to say I entirely trust them, but I don't forsee Google banning gun related videos anymore than I forsee them banning any violent or controversial videos. Despite Google's CEOs being of the Jewish background, they still even have neo-nazi videos on the site.

10. kubrick

kubrick Portland, OR Member

Install adblock on your browser and then you won't have to see any ads. I had actually forgotten there were ads on youtube videos.

11. Chalupacabra

Chalupacabra Portland Active Member

That's an ad made by Bloomberg's group of a-hole mayors. Has Beyonce, Will Ferrell, Jamie Fox, Chris Rock, Sarah Silverman, that guy who played in the last Bourne movie,etc

12. Steve32

Steve32 US Active Member

The pro-2nd Amendment groups should make videos. The NRA has money for such ads.

13. RICKRWS

RICKRWS VANCOUVER Active Member

Just no more Anti Gun speeches during Monday Night football. Costas has some Balls doing that. He is probaly carring a conealed weapon.

14. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

You still see ads on youtube? Its called adblock homie. Get it, use it, cherish it.

15. Steve32

Steve32 US Active Member

Just turn the volume down and let the ad run. That means they anti-gunners pay for nothing and they just wasting their money.

16. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

This anti-gun ad brought to you by Bushmaster/Colt/whoever - because, hey, nothing drives up prices and sells guns faster.

17. EUGENE the REALTOR

EUGENE the REALTOR Portland Metro Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I would support these two. I consider both to be loop-holes for criminals. Background checks being required for out-of-state transfers or store purchases but not local private sales doesn't make any sense to me.