JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know there are plenty of discussions on this, but I want to try and consolidate some information in one thread for my own purposes. I am planning to buy my first and possibly second, suppressor(s) in 2018 - starting likely in March. In the meantime, I'm working to decide which first and which particular models I want to go with.

So, for those of you that have already purchase suppressors, if you wouldn't mind sharing your favorites, and, if you're willing, the price of the suppressor, I'd love to see what you have to say.

Categories I'm looking for are the following:

* .22 suppressor
* Multi-cal pistol suppressor (up to .45acp)
* Multi-cal rifle suppressor (up to .45-.46 cal)

I've already been doing some research, but I do find it helpful to get personalized opinions. Details on why you like what you like (weight, reliability, attenuation, ease of maintenance, etc.) would be helpful too.

AND, if you have any suppressors you would recommend staying away from, please feel free to list those too.

I'm tempted to go with the .22 to start because it would allow me to shoot on my property if needed. Pistol would likely be 2nd and rifle last.

Let's hear your thoughts!

I personally think that spending too much on a .22 can is overkill. Truly depends on what you want out of it. I have a $99 can(Rebel 9mm) on a Buckmark .22 that puts the 10 shots inside of 3" regularly. I'd rather spend more money on bigger calibers.

Long Rifles? I like an over-the-barrel style just to keep the weight back over the barrel. Hanging 18-26oz on the end pulls the barrel down IMO. Have arthritis and tendinitis issues so this helps that.

My 9mm SBR has one on it to keep the weight closer to me. (AMTAC Hornet)

Am looking at a 9mm-.45-300BO one now for pistol /AR use. (Still undecided)

I know a guy that has a business near Bend Oregon that is probably the best suppressor salesman you could talk to. The subject is much bigger than just a short post can handle but the key on suppressrs is buying to fit all your needs. Tom can tell you what fits. However know what you want and why before you talk to him because there are a number of choices.

First and foremost when buying a .22lr can is how are you going to clean it.
I bought a Sparrow and it's real easy to take apart with the two clam shell sleeves. I liberally spray LocTite High Temp Nickle Never Sieze all over the inside of the baffle and clam shells and it makes for easy cleaning. It's rated to perform from -20* to 2400* temperatures.
For .45 caliber, I love my SilencerCo Osprey. Everyone that shoots with it can't believe how light and quiet it is, plus, the lower profile helps with the sights.

Study up everything dealing with suppressing then figure what you want it for. Lots of thought in what you are trying to do so study.;)

I am doing my research, but I like to add the opinions of other folks too - it adds another level of info that I can't get just reading up on cans.

When I was in the market years ago, I was trying to beat the new laws going into place about gun trusts.
The selection was slim at every gun store in town and the ones I ended up with were what I would have chosen if I had the time to compare all the models side by side.
You're lucky with Trump in office, as he's somewhat holding back the gun grabbers and have the luxury of picking the one you want and having it on the shelf when you finally decide.

It is interesting how we Can Operators get a sense of product loyalty. All we have right now are a couple of .22rf suppressors. What we learned up upon and what has stayed with us is that there are Can Manufactures ... and there are Can Makers.

It costs $150 bucks to have our Left Hand Savage .22rf bolt gun barrel reduced to 16.1 inches, crowned and precision threaded for our Elite Iron Echo 6" Cans. Baffle strikes. The Cans are THAT PRECISE. Stainless steel. Internals replaceable. Expensive.

Did I mention expensive? Yep. Also by our limited experience our cans seem to be very quiet. About 10,000 rounds so far. Zero issues. Occasional clean outs. Did I mention quiet? Right now one is on our Frankenstein Ruger 10 22 SBR Monster Slayer.

One hears the hammer dropping. Then a quiet "POP". This sound is subjective to individuals. Then the noise of the bolt cycling. Then a "THUD" as the custom hollow pointed Aquila 60 grain SSS bullet hits the target. Repeat. 1X9 Green Mountain 8" barrel.

www.eliteiron.com

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. Right now I think I MAY have the flu. Shame on me. Yikes! :(

I don't have them yet.

I went the same route however.

Bought the 22 first. A Rugged Oculus. Paid $625 through Silencershop.com including all transfers and tax stamp. Reasons for this over others was its design and materials. All 17-4 heat treated stainless steel. Extremely over built. It is also modular, so I can take the front end off and our it on a rifle for what I've seen so far online is equal to similar suppression as its full size config on a pistol. Things I don't know yet, but have researched was that it is easy to take apart and clean. Can be put completely into an ultrasonic cleaner.

Bought the 9mm second about 3 months later. Again a Rugged. Their Obsidian 9mm. Paid $850 also through silencershop.com with everything included. As with the the 22 it is almost all 17-4 heat treated stainless steel and is also modular so I can run it short on rifles like the Ruger PC Carbine if I can get one. Our full on my PCP or handguns. Like the 22 the baffles can be ultrasonic cleaned, though the tube is aluminum not steel, the front cross section is 17-4 stainless steel. It also is supposed to be able to use Silencerco pistols.

Both have unconditional warranties like that of Vortex. A guy on YouTube even purposely shot his on a rifle with the booster installed to get a baffle strike to demonstrate what would happen. Sent it back saying what he did and they fixed it.

Last will be a rifle can. I'm not sure which to go for right now, but I'm leaning towards the YHM Turbo for cost, or again another Rugged, either their Micro 30 or the Razer.

Best of luck with your choices!

One thing I can say is the faster you make up your mind the faster you get them.

One thing that truly sucks about buying these things is there is no back button. So when another company, say Griffen Armerment, comes out with a better can, you can't take back the purchase you already made.

The can in question is the Griffen Optimus Micro which can be used up to 556. Yep a 22 can capable of 556 that is also 100% 17-4 stainless steel. It is $100 dollars more than what I bought, but it would have been the one I bought if it was out when I was looking.

Last Edited:
I am doing my research, but I like to add the opinions of other folks too - it adds another level of info that I can't get just reading up on cans.

Most guys I have talked to don't understand what they are trying to do in suppressing a gun and then they don't get a full picture of how it all works. For instance if you study balistics and suppresson you realize a bullet breaks the speed of sound at about 1000 feet per second. The bullet breaking the sound barrier adds noise so the guys went to slower bullets like the 300 blackout to stop the pop of the sound barrier being broken.

Ok so you decide you want to suppress an AR and go all the way quiet. Read up on the guns and gear it takes to do that and most shoot a cartridge you have to haandload slow to get that quiet. However the guys don't think about unintended consequences of a slow bullet and loss of power. The holdover to hit a target at range becomes a problem so basically you have a heavy rifle in a pistol caliber that has limited rangeand power. That isn't the only drawbacks but I am probably boring the heck out of you so rather than me type a bunch of boring crap nobody wants to read I will wait to see if there is any intrest in me finishing.o_O

Most guys I have talked to don't understand what they are trying to do in suppressing a gun and then they don't get a full picture of how it all works. For instance if you study balistics and suppresson you realize a bullet breaks the speed of sound at about 1000 feet per second. The bullet breaking the sound barrier adds noise so the guys went to slower bullets like the 300 blackout to stop the pop of the sound barrier being broken.

Ok so you decide you want to suppress an AR and go all the way quiet. Read up on the guns and gear it takes to do that and most shoot a cartridge you have to haandload slow to get that quiet. However the guys don't think about unintended consequences of a slow bullet and loss of power. The holdover to hit a target at range becomes a problem so basically you have a heavy rifle in a pistol caliber that has limited rangeand power. That isn't the only drawbacks but I am probably boring the heck out of you so rather than me type a bunch of boring crap nobody wants to read I will wait to see if there is any intrest in me finishing.o_O

I got a chance to shoot some suppressed guns recently. I'm familiar with the subsonic vs supersonic loads and the kind of crack you get from it. Either way, it's still pretty new to me, so I'm up for learning new things about them. Personal experience helps.

You can try out my suppressors if you want .22, 9mm, 45 and 30 cal. The most fun is the Bowers 9mm can on the FA Mac 11.
Let me know if your interested.

1. SilencerCo Spectre II. Quiet, easy to clean.
2. SilencerCo Hybrid 46. Little heavy for pistols, but not unwieldy.
3. SilencerCo Hybrid 46. .223 to .45-70. Hearing safe. And .338 Lapua too.

I will keep saying this because it will help you make the best decision on a suppresor, know what you are trying to do.

This is just about rifles, handguns are different.
Most of the guys just seem to want to get the fun out of a quiet gun so if you are just looking for fun then it doesn't matter what you buy an most brands reduce the muzzle blast and noise. If you want one suppresor for different guns then all have to be threaded to the suppressor or set up for the same mounting system. The weight and size of the suppresor changes the barrel harmonics on a rifle which means you have to find ammo to match the change to get best accuracy.

Each time you move the suppresor from gun to gun you have to sight it in and when you pull it off that gun is no longer sighted in. So far we are talking just add on suppressor so let's add on one to a full power AR. There are companies that make an effective suppressor for full power ammo but most are pretty long to achieve being very quiet because it takes length to dissapate gas in the explosion of a fired round. If you decide on one of these I hear its best to buy a titanium baffled suppresor to deal with the blow torch effect of shooting quickly in your AR.

Another route is an entry suppressor from gemteck that just removes the blast down to decibel levels safe for indoors. They cost less and are not titanium but you can shoot full power rounds and it doesn't hurt your hearing. Now the draw back of suppressors on an AR is blowback. Blowback is returned gasses that will fowl the chamber and the next rounds up because an AR gas system uses gas into the bolt which then blows into the chamber causing the gun to foul quicker than normal. The suppressor dissipates gasses back into the AR so extended use without cleaning is a certian jam.

So you decide you want just one dedicated rifle that will allways be suppressd and sighted in to hit when ever you pick it up. You must pick full power or low power depending on what you want. What are you wanting to do is the question.

First and foremost when buying a .22lr can is how are you going to clean it.
I bought a Sparrow and it's real easy to take apart with the two clam shell sleeves. I liberally spray LocTite High Temp Nickle Never Sieze all over the inside of the baffle and clam shells and it makes for easy cleaning. It's rated to perform from -20* to 2400* temperatures.
For .45 caliber, I love my SilencerCo Osprey. Everyone that shoots with it can't believe how light and quiet it is, plus, the lower profile helps with the sights.
x2 the osprey is a great can

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads