JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The lost boys
The fat boys
Footloose
Can't buy me love
Trading places
The Outsiders
Spaceballs
Turner and Hooch
The Last Dragon
The burbs
Big trouble in little china

A little side story.
My friends and I were hanging out, probably up to no good. We decided to head down to Santa Cruz for the night but the Beach Boardwalk was closed when we got there. They were filming a movie in the park so we hiked up a small hill and tried to see what we could. We really could not make out what was happening but did see some fight scenes and a car chase through the park.
About a year later I head to the movies one night and, low and behold, there was the very same carousel fight scene and car scene right up there on the screen.
The movie...........

Lost Boys.

So many good ones already mentioned ITT -- ie. "The Terminator", "Highlander", "Road Warrior" et al

I'll go with a few not listed yet...

This is Spinal Tap
Repo Man
Blue Velvet
Das Boot
Serpent and the Rainbow
The Fly
Altered States
Angel Heart
They Live
Escape from New York
Beetlejuice
An American Werewolf in London
Clash of the Titans

And lets not forget a Classic from the 80's:
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark
There are two good reasons to see this movie....
Actually while the movie is pretty silly overall Cassendra Peterson (Elvira) is actually quite funny and basically carries the movie with her campy humor and double entendre throughout the movie.

Last Edited:
Stand By Me(1986) is my all time favorite movie. I've watched it probably 25 times. I can relate to the cirlcle of friends, having the bubblegum hole older brother and the adventures they went on. Having lost my best childhood friend, the ending gets me every time and I usually stop it a few minutes early to keep from getting choked up.

Stand_By_Me_1986_American_Theatrical_Release_Poster.jpg

I have! And a serious classic !
Goofy plot but the humor and antics of the cast are over the top!
Remember the scene 'we're blowin' away high prices'?
One of my personal all time favorites from the 80s is 'The dogs of war' with Christopher Walken & Tom Berenger.
I highly recommend it to anyone who has NOT seen it.
And the dog that pisses on the mechanic sleeping under the car.... :)

So, last night I was watching Better Off Dead (1985) and I got to thinking today about how many truly amazing films were release in that decade. Be it action, horror, comedy, romantic, surreal, war film, science fiction, and all the rest.

So, just tossing it out there: what are your favorite 80s films (released 1980—1989) and why?

Have fun. Cheers. :)

Crikey, I am old and I remember some films but not from a specific decade.

And when I do look up the DATE of a film, boob tube show or a book... I sometimes can't believe that it was made or written so LONG AGO! LOL

I never heard of or saw the Better Off Dead movie.

I will have to think about this decade when it comes to films.

Cate

I enjoyed Das Boot, Die Hard, a few military movies, Clint Eastwood movies and a couple of other ones that were mentioned on this thread.

There were many films mentioned that I never heard of or saw in this thread.

For the younger crowd:

The Blues Brothers (1980) - IMDb

I always enjoyed Aretha Franklin in the Blues Brothers film too. I really loved some of the older MOTOWN artists!

May Aretha rest in peace.

Church scene with James Brown...

Thanks.

Cate

The 80's is back when they actually wrote new screenplays. My local theater has all remakes (Lion King, Child's Play) or sequels (Endgame, John Wick). We are in a new movie drought right now, for sure!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top