JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The genesis of this wackiness, beyond really enjoying revolver shooting as of late, is earlier in the year I bought a copy of a book, or rather two volumes combined, that covers the topic. It was written in the interwar period, at least one of which appears to have been published originally in 1936. The texts are Sixguns and Bullseyes and Automatic Pistol Marksmanship: A Comprehensive Manual on Target Shooting, by William Reichenbach.

Bullseye!.jpg

So, it is the mid-1930s; what is your choice of:

1. A centerfire revolver.
  2. A centerfire automatic.
  3. A rimfire revolver.
  4. A rimfire automatic.
Bonus: what gunsmithing, if any, would you apply to said firearms?

Totally wide open on what to choose, but it has to be from that era. Enjoy!

P.S. I would be remiss if I didn't mentioning this; I've only been picking away at this book between other studies, but I've, generally, found the author's style engaging and his witticism charming. However, it is a product of that time, and, lamentably, the author used, at least once, a particular n-word that does not fly now for very good reason. Anyway, just a heads up.

The genesis of this wackiness, beyond really enjoying revolver shooting as of late, is earlier in the year I bought a copy of a book, or rather two volumes combined, that covers the topic. It was written in the interwar period, at least one of which appears to have been published originally in 1936. The texts are Sixguns and Bullseyes and Automatic Pistol Marksmanship: A Comprehensive Manual on Target Shooting, by William Reichenbach.

View attachment 1166554

So, it is the mid-1930s; what is your choice of:

1. A centerfire revolver.
  2. A centerfire automatic.
  3. A rimfire revolver.
  4. A rimfire automatic.
Bonus: what gunsmithing, if any, would you apply to said firearms?

Totally wide open on what to choose, but it has to be from that era. Enjoy!

P.S. I would be remiss if I didn't mentioning this; I've only been picking away at this book between other studies, but I've, generally, found the author's style engaging and his witticism charming. However, it is a product of that time, and, lamentably, the author used, at least once, a particular n-word that does not fly now for very good reason. Anyway, just a heads up.
For me I don't have enough knowledge to know what all would have been available to choose from in the 30's. If there was a comprehensive list in each category then I could choose. Kind of like if Ian from forgotten weapons had a list or something. For example was a p38 and browning high power available then? I assume yea but I have no clue. Rimfire I really have no clue at all.

Also would machine pistols such as mp40 (earlier versions I mean, can't recall their names off the top of my head) be available at that time? Certainly Thompson .45 was available.

Based on my very limited knowledge it seems to me the revolvers would give reliability at the price of low capacity. And automatics would give higher capacity but at price less reliability (I assume anyway). I would stay away from Lugers and other more complex semi autos unless they had a nearly bullet-proof reliability record. Machine pistols would be my first choice most likely (but that assumes marksmanship = effective shots on target, not marksmanship = ability to put shots on paper consistently via slow fire shooting).

Last Edited:
For rimfire:
Back in about 1979 I bought a used High Standard semiauto with a long heavy barrel with slots in it and a set of weights that fit the slots. You could choose how heavily you wanted to weight the barrel and exactly how you wanted the gun to balance. It was clearly designed for competition. I bought it from a neighbor who suckered me into it by letting me shoot it from his backyard range. It was a totally different level of accuracy from anything I had ever experienced. Dont remember the model. And the neighbor was only asking $250 for it. So I bought it. I don't know when it was manufactured but it might fit the target era. I sold it after a while because I don't compete, and it was way too heavy to carry anywhere. Replaced it with a Ruger 5 1/2" bull barrel .22, which I could shoot just as well except on bench rest and could carry much easier.

I notice some people mentioning the Colt Woodsman Target. I inherited one of those from my mother. She probabky got it new in about 1940. My mother used it to knock over snowshoe hares in Alaska plus, on one occassion, to chase off a couple of would-be rapists. She carried it so much there's hardly any blue on it. Its got a lovely trigger, an oversized grip with a prominent thumb rest, and adjustable sights. And its as accurate as I can be without going to bench rest. However, I don't really consider it a competition worthy target gun. Its fairly light and has a skinny barrel. It looks like it was designed to be carried in the woods and used to shoot rabbits.

For bullseye fun? one of the High Standard .22's they were making for this serious target use. There are a few guns I kick myself for not keeping. Couple old HS.22 are high on the list. For larger bore I would want one of the REALLY nice .44 specials S&W used to make set up for target shooting. Never been a wheel gun guy but when I see one of these old beauties I have to stop and stare lovingly at it for a while :D

Centerfire auto: Colt 1911A1 .45acp (Where available). Or 1911 if the A1 wasnt available. Great "knock-down power". OR: BHP if available (unlikely in the '30's)... I might carry a Luger Parabellum in those days, but unlikely due to problematic functioning. Broomhandle Mauser possibly: It would have been pretty available post ww1, however 7.63x25 ammo supply might have been expensive and spotty. "Red Nine" might have been available then in 9mmP.

Centerfire revolver: Smith Registered Magnum .357 (where available)... OR Smith Triple lock "Hand Ejector" in .45 Colt preferably, or .44 S&W Special, with the 5" barrel option..

Rimfire .22 auto: not much on the older ones, but the Colt Woodsman is a fine pistol for bunny-knockin, or the High Standard Military model...

Rimfire .22: revolver... hands down the then brand-new S&W .22-.32 kit gun. I coveted a kit gun for many years, until I snagged one in a lgs in the 1990s. The Iver Johnson Sealed Eight would have been a good one (And I have one of those too)...
I own/have owned all of these in one form or another EXCEPT the Smith Registered Magnum. Do have an N-frame .357, which is "close but no cigar"... Generally they reside in the gun safe...

Edited to add: I didnt understand that this was for some target shooting rules, so I picked what I would have personally preferred to carry for general purpose or self defense... oh well, my choices stand in any event as paper-target shooting bores me.:D

Last Edited:
An interesting thought experiment, i'll give it a shot...

1. A centerfire revolver
Probably a S&W triple lock .44 or a M1917 with 45acp moon clips

2. A centerfire automatic
Just to be different; a Steyr Hahn in 9mm luger. IDK if they were doing that caliber conversion in '36 but even in the original chambering still would be a fun and very capable handgun for the time.

3. A rimfire revolver
An H&R 999 sportsman. Yes I checked and they were around then, first released in 1932. Awesome little revolvers even by todays standards.

4. A rimfire automatic
Colt Woodsman. Needs no explanation.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top