JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1980's huh?
A model 70 in 30-06
An 870 of course ( Mossberg made junk in the 80's)
A mini 14 with an a team stock
A 1911a1

Playlist
Every Beatles album
Every Who album
Pink Floyd dark side of the moon
Emerson, Lake and Palmer's brain salad surgery
Mozart's piano concertos
John Phillip Sousa's marching music (it's a psyops thing)

Last Edited:
Not the same era as the 80's....
But now I got a hankering to re-read Farnham's Freehold by Robert A. Heinlein....Hmmm...
Spring break in going on , might be a good time to do so.....Thanks CountryGent...:D
Andy
Farnham's Freehold- Set smack dab in my neck of the woods in the Pike's Peak region.... and Tunnel In The Sky... both (along with other things) set me on the prepper path...

Mid-80's.... hmmm... Colt AR15, Mini 14, S&W M&P .38 spec, Mossberg .22lr bolt rifle, Ruger MkI .22 auto, 12 ga pump 870, .45acp Colt New Service... 7.92x57 Spanish Mauser beater, which needed a lot of restorative work to really be a decent functional rifle, (which I did myself). Bought it at a K-Mart at age 19 when I really started worrying about the Coming Apocalypse/Revolution.
Lord knows what else I had around in the mid '80's... Read everything written by Mel Tappan that I could get my hands on...
Now? Why, nothing, of course. Gunz is dangerous,:eek: could put an eye out with one.... Might even be eeeelegal someday....

Last Edited:
a set of this

Best-Power-Armor-Fallout-76.jpg

In the 1980's, I was taking a break from guns - raising children. I remember the AR-180's of the 1970's, as shown in the OP. The ones I recall were made in Japan. They were priced about like an AR15 at the time, it seems to me. The average gun guy wasn't all that interested in black plastic guns, yet. So the distinction between gas impingement and a piston was lost on most people of the moment.

So what I had for survival guns in the 1980's were relatively few:

H&R Topper .410 shotgun
Beat-up 8mm Mauser Kar98a from WW1
Beat-up Smith & Wesson Model 10 that I brought back from Vietnam
Stevens Model 53 single shot .22 LR
Remington 870 deer gun

I did manage to swing an M1 Rifle from the DCM in 1985.

I was still listening to Deep Purple.

Very little ammo - especially compared to today.
Oh yeah. When I was a teenager in the 1960's, center fire ammo counts were very slim. Problem was, we'd use most of it up on shooting trips. Then slowly reaccumulate it until the next time. But in between trips, a handful might be the all of it.

Now in old age, even in contemporary times of scarcity, I have a wealth of ammo. Not as much as I had at one time, though. I reduced my stock a few years ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top