JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always liked his writing. His Time Enough for Love is the only book I have read then gone back and read again it was so enjoyable. He had quite the imagination.
I too have enjoyed his works over the years. Alas, I have not much time to read fictional works these days, but circling back to the classics is always a delight. :)

please summarize their conclusion; I don't want no buzzkill literature jamming up my hidey-hole.
The failure was not so much with the shelters themselves. Rather, it was lack of will, both with the populace and government officials, as well as ethical considerations, budgetary brouhahas, logistical issues, the advent of the H-bomb and better delivery methods, sometimes dubious science, bureaucratic sloth, et al. I wouldn't characterize the book as a "buzzkill"; governmental incompetence and population complacency is, after all, hardly much of a surprise in our society. I found the cultural aspects easily the most interesting aspect of the study.

And, parenthetically, my perspective on family preparation, including being ready for an event involving a radiological component, remains unchanged. If anything, the read was just another cautionary tale to have one's own house in order.

I got your bunker book for you.

1a02af802a7a40e187282409d0d30b5b.jpg

I've engaged in a tepid internal mental battle to not continue the delightfully nerdly bibliophile trend in this thread, but who am I kidding, I love it! To quote a famous line from Blazing Saddles, "Ahhhh prairie sh ..." Well, I shouldn't use that expression, but the point remains.

I started this book today:

I Kahn Do It.jpg

I've only read the introductory chapter, but the fact it focuses on one Dr. Herman Kahn, it should prove interesting.

And I, evidently, picked up a couple other civil defense-related books earlier in the year that have not been read, but are in waiting.

Let's Face It, with Civil Defense1.jpg

:)

I've engaged in a tepid internal mental battle to not continue the delightfully nerdly bibliophile trend in this thread, but who am I kidding, I love it! To quote a famous line from Blazing Saddles, "Ahhhh prairie sh ..." Well, I shouldn't use that expression, but the point remains.

I started this book today:

View attachment 1169617

I've only read the introductory chapter, but the fact it focuses on one Dr. Herman Kahn, it should prove interesting.

And I, evidently, picked up a couple other civil defense-related books earlier in the year that have not been read, but are in waiting.

View attachment 1169619

:)
I would say , as a reality check, that books would get far more use than guns if you did bunker down and survive the average apocalypse.

1. Survival rifle.
  2. Side-arm.
  3. Scattergun.
Alright, this might be cheatin' now, but I'm going to have to say…

1. 12guage, rifled, with slugs 24" barrel, break action
  2. Sawed off 20guage, with buckshot, side by side
  3. 12guage, with buck and bird shot. M1014 or 590A1 ~18" barrel.

OK, here we go

Heavy assault rifle: FN/FAL
Light assault rifle: AR-180
Other: Plainfield M1 carbine with M2 trigger pack
Pistol: 1911 or CZ-75
Shotgun: Ithaca Deer Slayer Police Special

Music:
Talking Heads: Life During Wartime
Mike and the Mechanics: Silent Running
Devo: We're Through Being Cool

'80s:
M1a
Mossberg 590
Colt M1911A1

LPs
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Rush - 2112
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Scorpions - Blackout

Today:
AR-15
Beretta 1301
Glock 19

Music is pretty much the same.

In the 80's:

Rifle: Colt AR-15 SP1
Pistol: Glock 17 (Gen 1)
Shotgun: Remington 870

Modern day:

Rifle: BRN-180 (5.56)
Pistol: Glock 19 (gen 3)
Shotgun: Remington 870 (Pre-Remington buyout)

I'm just a simple man with simple tastes :p

Just to be fun and all how about

Winchester model 1897 TD with a 20" barrel in 12ga
Savage model 111 in 30-06 4-16X Scope 10rd mags
Astra A-90 (19+1)

Early 80's based on what my early 20's brain wanted based on Shotgun News and my buddies:
M16
Dirty Harry 44 magnum
Benelli Msomething shotgun

Early 80's based on what I could afford (maybe):
M1 carbine w/ tons of surplus ammo or Winchester 94 in 30-30
Skip da pistol to afford more ammo and reloading stuff
Remington 870 Wingmaster

Early 80's based on 20-20 hindsight, early 20's body and stamina, ammo availability, etc..:
FAL
1911 in 45ACP
Mossberg 500

Early 80's based on likelihood of post nuclear war living conditions:
Black powder rifle
Black powder pistol
Break action double barreled shotgun for improvised ammo

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR