JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Daddy told me long ago, Son whatever you sell do not sell your guns.
I abide that rule and especially after the Obama/Hillary scare leveled out I have been stockpiling ammunition and I ain't about to sell any regardless of the amount of individuals gouging the classifieds recently.

There's a difference IMO, between friends & acquaintances.

Friends are similar to family. They will be given anything needed, and likewise would do in return.

Acquaintances are just that. Folks we know, some better than others.

Mayhaps would help some acquaintances out with some self defense ammunition, and some ball to keep up skills with. At a fair and reasonable price (under current crazy going rate). The ones we know, and just haven't had the means to take care of doing so "before".

Any other ammunition sold would simply because of being able to reload. Not scalping, but would be market price. Period.

Mind, no plans ATM to sell stored ammunition, but should I, it would SOLELY be done for the benefit of MY family.

I took the time, had the foresight & fortitude to stock up, AND also had the foresight to have the ability to reload. Both quite a large expenditure of time and $. Everyone else in the US had the same opportunity, however may not have due to other priorities which they deemed of more import.

I have ammunition for sale and then, inventory that I sell, but only to regular local customers who frequent my business. Children and friends only get what they really need.
During the last ammunition shortage, my customers got what THEY needed, at normal, everyday prices. I have one customer who uses .22 magnum rounds when he butchers hogs and beef. He always got what he needed from my inventory.
During the ammunition shortage of a while back I got several phone calls, right before the local gun shows started, asking if I had any .22 rimfire for sale. If I didn't recognise the voice, or if they didn't say WHO they were, I'd ask "How much do you need?" One guy said, "I'll take all you have". Had all I could do to keep from calling him out as the "jack-wagon" he was as I knew full well he was gonna double, triple or even quadruple what he paid and then 'scalp' the locals at a nearby gunshow, so he got some prices that caused him to hang-up the phone. :mad:

Respect.

OR, you can say: "First box is $5.00 (insert whatever you are charging) 2nd box is $10.00 and the 3rd box is $55.00. Nobody has asked to buy 4 boxes yet." :p Of course, your regulars will get what you think will work depending on how much you have on hand and what their needs are. Seems to me that a fella putting down hogs for a living would have been well stocked up beforehand.

Last Edited:
I spent the last 2 years buying up guns I want, so I neglected my ammo stores. Just did inventory the other day. Quickly ordered 1000rnds 223 and about the same in .22lr, but I'm not 100% comfortable if I dont have an even 1k per caliber.

Screenshot_20200320-172348_Gun Ammo Inventory.jpg 20200314_181914.jpg

I spent the last 2 years buying up guns I want, so I neglected my ammo stores. Just did inventory the other day. Quickly ordered 1000rnds 223 and about the same in .22lr, but I'm not 100% comfortable if I dont have an even 1k per caliber.
My ammo dump doesn't look anywhere near as neat and tidy as yours...
Ammo dump.JPG

Think I'm pretty good on mags for everything, too. There must be over 100 of them babies in there...
Mags.JPG

ETA: Count complete. 118 each :D

Last Edited:
The minimum should be one "load out" for each firearm - e.g., 200 rounds of 5.56x45 per AR, then enough for whatever mag you have in the rifle - so 250 rounds. That is a an absolute bare minimum - i.e., enough to carry on your person if you are going into a firefight. Preferably enough to replenish that load out should you make it thru a firefight and then you are out of ammo if you don't have a cache.

For a self-defense handgun, lets say a SIG 226 with a 15 round flush mag and 20 rd spare mags - four extra mags for reloads. That's about 100 rounds.

Personally, the numbers I would use as a minimum for primary fighting firearms, would be ten times that amount, not including practice ammo.

For hunting guns - say a .30-30 - you would use maybe 20 rounds for a hunting season - total. So how long do you want to be able to hunt? Ten years? Two hundred rounds.

Now for each person on your "team" - the same amount of ammo - minimum. Add in practice ammo.

Adds up pretty quick.

if i were to sell any of my ammo in times where ammo is hard to get, i REFUSE to rip people off. what they do with it, i dont care. but i wont do it

Interesting post. I wouldn't sell but would consider trading ammo for ammo.
Also, Not to hijack, but What are members thoughts on friends asking for ammo?
If I "needed" something I could not get I would have zero problem trading. Have a hell of a pile of ammo but, it was never bought with the idea of using as currency. I bought it because I have long said something will always set off another panic.
As for friends if one suddenly decided the wisdom of owning a gun now, and of course could not buy any, I would of course go to the range with them to let them get some time and leave them with some for home. If they are a shooter and just don't pay attention I would help them buy. All during the last great panic I was supplying a few people who did not listen and ended up pant down. :D There is always still ammo for sale at normal price. Just becomes a thing of knowing where to get it when it's there.

I agree with load out minimums. I see it as 4 mags loaded. One in the gun and three on the belt or plate carrier. That's been my minimum load out for each gun I own. But I want 1k per caliber for extended periods of supply breakdowns. Anything over that is plinking, targetting, or play ammo.

I agree with load out minimums. I see it as 4 mags loaded. One in the gun and three on the belt or plate carrier. That's been my minimum load out for each gun I own. But I want 1k per caliber for extended periods of supply breakdowns. Anything over that is plinking, targetting, or play ammo.
Well Yes for a load out .
A back pack with some supplies and a plate carrier with 6 mags for a rifle and 3 or 4 mags for a handgun would work.
But this is a lock down shelter in place.
So you have time to get your house car truck or even move stuff around to where you want it.
I have a bug out bag or bags.
But for now I would say set up your house or apartment like a FOB OR A HOME BASE.

My home and environs are essentially a COP in the middle of In'jin Country...
Although I don't really count eastern WaRshington as In'jin Country... :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews