JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Heartbreaking. If only this young family had had a firearm to protect themselves.
A husband and wife, killed in their Utah home a week ago as their three young children slept...
"We do believe this was a home invasion," Holt said. "He was not a welcome guest there."

He was armed with a gun and the Butterfields tried to defend themselves with a knife from the house, Holt said.

THIS is an extremely sad story.

I thought that most if not all Mormons owned at least ONE firearm to defend themselves and/or their family if they were married and had children.

The story says that they were members in the LDS religion/church.

So a man does NOT get hired for a job and he decides to take it out on the OWNER of the company AND his family?!

This world is crazy!

Condolences to the children, the rest of the family and to this couple's friends.

May the couple rest in peace.

Cate

If only they had a gun, DAMN :(:(:(

Sort of like having a parachute when flying, you hope you never need it, but boy are you sure glad you have it when it all goes to hell!
I have lost track of the times I have said something like this to those asking me "why do you want a gun?". Even if I did not enjoy shooting for fun I say I would never be without one. For the same reason I keep insurance. Hope to never need it but, nice to have it when you do. Also not to ever be the ones hiding in a corner waiting their turn to be killed by some scum.

THIS is an extremely sad story.

I thought that most if not all Mormons owned at least ONE firearm to defend themselves and/or their family if they were married and had children.

The story says that they were members in the LDS religion/church.

So a man does NOT get hired for a job and he decides to take it out on the OWNER of the company AND his family?!

This world is crazy!

Condolences to the children, the rest of the family and to this couple's friends.

May the couple rest in peace.

Cate

Sad story!

Sadder yet, could have had a markedly alternative outcome had the family accepted responsibility for there own safety rather than relying on a phone call to someone else.

As to LDS (Mormon) folks and firearms:

Just like in the general population, some LDS own firearms, some don't & won't.

In our experience with LDS friends & acquaintances, a seemingly higher percentage of them do own firearms.

However the ones which do not, are adamantly against owning them.

Then there is also the seemingly more patriarchal leanings in there relationships. So, even if the wife is pro-individual safety & security leaning, the husband always has the final say.

Have gone through such discussions & suggestions with several LDS couples we have known in the past, and made slight incremental nudges towards them taking responsibility for there own families safety & security. Closed down due to the husbands leanings, sadly.

Alternatively, several other LDS couples we still know, and know well, had already accepted the 2A full well. Safely and responsibly.

Sad story!

Sadder yet, could have had a markedly alternative outcome had the family accepted responsibility for there own safety rather than relying on a phone call to someone else.

As to LDS (Mormon) folks and firearms:

Just like in the general population, some LDS own firearms, some don't & won't.

In our experience with LDS friends & acquaintances, a seemingly higher percentage of them do own firearms.

However the ones which do not, are adamantly against owning them.

Then there is also the seemingly more patriarchal leanings in there relationships. So, even if the wife is pro-individual safety & security leaning, the husband always has the final say.

Have gone through such discussions & suggestions with several LDS couples we have known in the past, and made slight incremental nudges towards them taking responsibility for there own families safety & security. Closed down due to the husbands leanings, sadly.

Alternatively, several other LDS couples we still know, and know well, had already accepted the 2A full well. Safely and responsibly.

Hello,

One of my favorite real estate agents in the state of IDAHO (Panhandle region.) is a Mormon and VERY pro gun - pro the RKBA. He and his brother own a RE company.

My husband and I have personally discussed guns and other things with him over the years.

He did NOT laugh at us carrying guns in GRIZZ country either especially when we came across one bear that had just left his sleeping area where the grass was still WARM from his body and flattened out on one piece of land. The bear heard us coming with our loud talk in the wild so we did not SPOOK him from his nap after eating a bunch of berries.

It would be VERY DIFFICULT for ME as a pro gun - pro knife - pro RKBA - pro self defense - old fashioned TRUE conservative woman to be INVOLVED WITH as in MARRIED to a ANTI gun man IF he was NOT for what I stood for as a woman!

I COULD NOT be married to a man or even be serious with a man who was totally against what I stood for in ALL ways or most ways religiously, morally, gun issues, personal responsibility in all matters, financial - fiscal TRUE conservative, etc.

I could never understand how some men marry women who are against what they stand for too!

I can understand if a woman told a MAN that she did not care if he owned guns or NOT as long as he did not force her to carry or shoot guns IF she was NOT into them. BUT to tell a man that he could not have x, y or z - no way! Vice versa.

I personally do NOT care if some people do not want what I WANT and CHOOSE to OWN as long as they do not deny me my right to own some items including things that pertain to the RKBA issue. They do not want me to tell them that they can't own cellular telephones and other stuff that I CHOOSE not to own.

I CAN understand having some people who do NOT AGREE with you in all matters - agree to disagree as a 'friend' or in some work relationship but to be SERIOUS about that person in a love/like/respect MARRIAGE until death parts you? NO way!

To each their own as long as I do NOT have to live with them or hear their constant bashing AGAINST my own morals, my old fashioned background, my this or that!

Take care.

Cate
PS: I do KNOW some people in other religions or lack thereof who are so called PEACEMAKERS (NOT the Colt Peacemaker!) and do not believe in 'weapons' but they DO BELIEVE that the military or the police should COME TO THEIR RESCUE in their time of need with THEIR GUNS too. Cate slaps her forehead! I know some people who had a BACKGROUND that should TEACH THEM ABOUT TYRANTS DISARMING PEOPLE and they still don't believe in GUNS. THINK of WW1, WW2 and many other wars/conflicts. I do NOT feel sorry for them because they are their own worst enemy NOW and they should KNOW better! Other people who LIVED through those times LEARNED THEIR LESSON and I knew many of them in the past including my late husband's family. Never again!

Last Edited:
Not to intentionally sound cold, though I understand going into this comment it may come out that way. I'm curious how it matters that the murdered people were young? Or that they were a couple at all? Heck, even that they were a heterosexual couple. The fact is, two PEOPLE were murdered where they should have felt the safest. The children being left behind so suddenly is a terrible thing, though, regardless of any other details

That is one sad story I had not heard about. I had to read both articles to find out they did catch the guy in California and he will be extradited. This one will certainly get the death penalty. Most these days get lethal injection, although under Utah law (under certain circumstances) you can be executed by firing squad. Utah is a smart state. You have to have selected firing squad PRIOR to a date in 2004 to get that. But the law also has a caveat...just in case some higher court decides lethal injection is unconstitutional...they fall back on the firing squad method. Haven't checked, but I think hanging is also an option.

Personally, I think the punishment should fit the crime. Firing squad all the way for this dirt bag.

I have to tell you I am mostly NOT in favor of the death penalty, and that's just because sometimes we execute innocent people and the appeals can cost the state more than housing someone for life. But...in certain heinous cases where the question of guilt is not in doubt...I'm okay with it. And in THIS case, deliberately orphaning three children...I am WAY MORE than 'okay' with it.

Last Edited:
1) I have a gun for the same reason I have a fire extinguisher or a spare tire.

2) Did anybody see the photo of the shooter's wife?
I saw that before and just remembered where - in the dictionary, twice - once under hideous, and the 2nd under sweathog.

3) The police aren't there to protect you. They're there to investigate and make an arrest after the crime. I would rather not be the victim in the 1st place.

I have no illusions about getting my jollies by blowing some burglar away for trying to steal my TV. I would NOT want to do that, and would avoid it if possible. But here is something for you. Washington is a pretty liberal state, definitely blue except we do like to elect GOP governors occasionally. But for a liberal state, we have some pretty loose laws on protecting your property by using force. If someone is out there in the driveway trying to steal your brand new truck and you put them into the next world, it generally isn't necessary to drag them into the house afterward. Prosecutors mostly will not file on you, because the juries here mostly won't convict.

There was a case a few years ago where a guy in the Eatonville area owned two properties. One was his main residence. The other was a big shop building down the road. Someone was stealing scrap metal from the shop building area at night. So...he camps out in the shop building to watch for the thief. A big pickup pulls up in the middle of the night and this guy starts trying to load scrap metal into his truck. Guy comes out with a gun and blows the thief away. The thief's girlfriend is sitting in the truck and starts screaming.

Cops show up. Thief is dead. Girlfriend is doing serious yelling and finger pointing. Cops take the report. Homeowner says he thought the guy was reaching for a gun. Thief HAD no gun, by the way.

Prosecutor: Decline to prosecute the homeowner. Cops were not real happy, but that's the way it went.

I have no illusions about getting my jollies by blowing some burglar away for trying to steal my TV. I would NOT want to do that, and would avoid it if possible. But here is something for you. Washington is a pretty liberal state, definitely blue except we do like to elect GOP governors occasionally. But for a liberal state, we have some pretty loose laws on protecting your property by using force. If someone is out there in the driveway trying to steal your brand new truck and you put them into the next world, it generally isn't necessary to drag them into the house afterward. Prosecutors mostly will not file on you, because the juries here mostly won't convict.

There was a case a few years ago where a guy in the Eatonville area owned two properties. One was his main residence. The other was a big shop building down the road. Someone was stealing scrap metal from the shop building area at night. So...he camps out in the shop building to watch for the thief. A big pickup pulls up in the middle of the night and this guy starts trying to load scrap metal into his truck. Guy comes out with a gun and blows the thief away. The thief's girlfriend is sitting in the truck and starts screaming.

Cops show up. Thief is dead. Girlfriend is doing serious yelling and finger pointing. Cops take the report. Homeowner says he thought the guy was reaching for a gun. Thief HAD no gun, by the way.

Prosecutor: Decline to prosecute the homeowner. Cops were not real happy, but that's the way it went.
Good. One less thief.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads