JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just like a true military leader. Nobody likes him but he kicked a$$ and helped win the war. Hell nobody liked Patton either, but he got the job done.
The assault of Peleliu was touted by MacArthur to be a 3 day job. It turned into 3 months. Because MacArthur was so confident that 3 days was all that was needed, he didn't' allow any more support or supply of the invasion than what the assigned navy and marine units when they initially invaded... even after months of fighting. Men died due to MacArthur's pride and inability to respond to facts on the ground. Same with his inaction during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Despite Roosevelt sending many messages to him about the attack, and that they had very credible intel that the Philippines was next, MacArthur didn't respond until it was too late, and many men were captured and died. These are a few examples.
He was not a well liked man among my Grandfather's peers in Camp Pendleton

Anyway, back to Benny Hill!

You might be in your 50's or 60's if you remember starting the "Johnny Popper" by opening the compression petcocks, rocking the flywheel until you found the sweet spot, and then giving it a huge pull. And it you didn't take the soup can off the exhaust pipe, it came down on your head!

And you remember your Dads' instructions for starting the Allis-Chalmers WD. You had to be sure to tuck your thumb into the palm of your hand when turning the crank because a backfire could break it.

You might be in your 50's if.....

You remember the Wide World of Sports with Jim McKay.

You remember getting a remote control for you TV - that the cable from the remote to the TV stretched mostly across the room.

Getting your first wireless home telephone and talking to people while walking around the house for no other reason than "because i can".

Watching all the really cool bands live in concert.

...or you once kick started your Bultaco with the kick starter on the "wrong" side...it started the engine running backwards, your let out the clutch and went over the handlebars...derp-dee-derp :)

You might be over 50 (and lived in a rural place) if when radar guns came out, the cops (who were usually your friends you went to highschool with) asked you to speed along long stretches of road so they could practice clocking you. And no, you didn't get a ticket; in fact radar guns became great tools for checking your top speed, both you and the cops.

If you can count change (you know the little metal circles we saved as kids)
If you took your rifle on the school bus for your high school gunsmithing class and the only requirement was that is was to show the driver that it was unloaded. We also reloaded practice ammo for the police dept in that class.
For senior dress-up day (high school)many of the guys strapped on Rugers and colts with ammo belts and went as cowboys. Leave em holstered and no problems.
I miss the olden days..... Bruce H

The Andy Griffith Show
The Munsters
Batman and Robin (the original)
Get Smart
The Wild Wild West
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
The Virginian

Playing outside every day for hours at at time, only coming in for lunch and dinner...

Reading through this thread sparked many fond memories... Of a simpler time, long gone. When children were safe and predators punished...

The Andy Griffith Show
The Munsters
Batman and Robin (the original)
Get Smart
The Wild Wild West
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
The Virginian

Playing outside every day for hours at at time, only coming in for lunch and dinner...

Reading through this thread sparked many fond memories... Of a simpler time, long gone. When children were safe and predators punished...

Well Said! And so TRUE!

Banned from the house! If it wasnt poring rain, you were not to be in the house! T.V. was 3 channels and you watched only evenings,and saterday mornings! Home by dinner time, Did home work and chores, Hee Haw, the Larence welk show, and in bed by 8:30. The doors were never locked and the neighborhood kids were always welcome. Once a month we kids would get to go to the Sandy Bar wrestling matches and cheer for who ever was then our hero! Had my first dirt bike when I was 8, A two year old 1970 Honda Monkey 50 (mini trail 50) and would "earn" gas money mowing the neighbors lawn. Traded the Monkey for a trail 70 when I was in my teens!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top