JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon law did obligate them to but they ignored that law.
Fine enough. However, "Oregon law" =/= "Constitution." There is no constitutional right to be sold a firearm. Now this begs the question why nobody has gone after Walmart and Bi-Mart, Big-5, Dick's and all the others who are violating this state law. Also, for point of reference, would you mind citing that specific law in ORS? Thank you.

Fine enough. However, "Oregon law" =/= "Constitution." There is no constitutional right to be sold a firearm. Now this begs the question why nobody has gone after Walmart and Bi-Mart, Big-5, Dick's and all the others who are violating this state law. Also, for point of reference, would you mind citing that specific law in ORS? Thank you.

Thank you for the citation. As I read that statute, it would appear that any seller would indeed be unable to refuse to provide a product or a service based on age -- at least in context of the federal laws that specify a person must be 18 to purchase a long gun and 21 to purchase a handgun -- and especially in a state where a cake baker is compelled by force of law to bake a cake they wish not to bake. Such are the pitfalls of statism. Normally I am loathe to support the state intruding in commerce, but then again what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

That said, I do believe, however, that these stores do have a legal "out" in this specific narrow instance: My understanding is that a FFL has the absolute right to refuse a firearm sale to anyone for virtually any reason (I believe they don't even have to state a reason). While not directly analagous, I know a gun shop owner in Central Oregon who will not even run a background check if someone comes in reeking of weed, for example.

NB: I am far from an expert on this body of law and will not pretend to know the finer points of FFL regs, so if anyone can rebut my position, I'm happy to listen.

That said, anyone with standing might have an actionable cause against these stores who arbitrarily adopted this blanket arbitrary restriction. I am surprised there have not been any legal actions brought vis-a-vis Sweet Cakes By Melissa.

My understanding is that a FFL has the absolute right to refuse a firearm sale to anyone for virtually any reason (I believe they don't even have to state a reason).

When the ATF was out when I was first licensed I was told I couldn't deny someone a transfer on the Federally protected categories (e.g., race, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, etc.). I could, however, deny for any other reason, such as the buyer acting like a jackass. He said something to the effect of "you have a right and an obligation" to deny because you think the person is planning something illegal with the firearm.

Just found a Sar 9mm for $329 there. Everywhere else I looked for it online it ran from $379 up $499. So to find it at Bi-mart for the lower really made me happy. Also though they have a shortage of ammo too they still sell it at pre-cuff prices just garbed me 2 boxes of 45 acp for $24 dollars each. Got to say Bi-mart may be a class B walmart but they seem to look out for customers good.

So my hats off to Bi-mart. Good Job
Firearms and ammo not their only sales. Sportsman's also not bad?

I've noticed that Keith's & Advanced Firearms Training (AFT) both in Gresham, have been good about maintaining reasonable pricing on ammo. On the downside, AFT has been having difficulty with getting resupplied but the prices are fair when in stock. Keith's has generally been keeping better stocked, but there is a line out the door everyday & you can be waiting awhile to get in.

Bi-Mart is my favorite store and has been for a long time. I remember buying camping, hunting, or fishing gear from GI joes only to find the same exact product for a lot less. They just seem to have everything thing I need at the best price.

Bimart is great. I feel like they have almost everything there. Their ammo and reloading supply prices arent bad either when they were available. I bought boxes of Hornady XTP ammo there for $16 bucks beforer. Powders at least 10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.

Not like sportsmans that has 9mm projectes not leaving the shelfes for 200$ a box lol

I will continue to support my local Bi-Mart. ALL its employees are supportive of gun rights, and the "sporting goods" counter is active and the gals that work there are all gun people. I'm not gonna boycott the chain because of "Made in China," -- these are my local people, and I support them, not the origin of all the products their franchise sells.

And, it's the only store in my county that hasn't jacked up its ammo prices.

At 65 years old bi marts decision to not sell rifles to anyone under 21 doesn't affect me one way or the other. Tho I will say I'm uncomfortable with anyone shooting guns where their only training is from Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty. No matter their age. But I digress, my thought for those between 18 and 21 is to vote with your checkbook and buy a rifle from somewhere else rather than to whine and try to force Bi-Mart to comply. My .02, worth what you paid for it.

At 65 years old bi marts decision to not sell rifles to anyone under 21 doesn't affect me one way or the other. Tho I will say I'm uncomfortable with anyone shooting guns where their only training is from Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty. No matter their age. But I digress, my thought for those between 18 and 21 is to vote with your checkbook and buy a rifle from somewhere else rather than to whine and try to force Bi-Mart to comply. My .02, worth what you paid for it.
Exactly why our freedoms will continue to be eroded. It only affects thee and not me so go ahead....

LOL, There is no loss of freedoms, just like if I go into store that doesn't sell Glocks and I want one, I just go next door to the Glock Store and buy one there. See voting with my check book.

LOL, There is no loss of freedoms, just like if I go into store that doesn't sell Glocks and I want one, I just go next door to the Glock Store and buy one there. See voting with my check book.
Many firearm owners share your attitude when it comes to firearm restrictions being infringed upon by governments. They seem to be fine with infringements if it doesn't impact them.

Exactly why our freedoms will continue to be eroded. It only affects thee and not me so go ahead....
Your freedom is not eroded by the actions of a private party, however. Bi-Mart also has freedom -- to engage in commerce on its own terms. I do not like that they caved to the anti-gun hysteria, but if you are going to argue freedom, I would recommend acknowledging that it is a two-way street. In fact, you are free to obtain a FFL and sell guns to whomever you'd like provided that they are lawfully eligible to purchase a firearm.

Believe me, many here share this same attitude towards government regulations. It's especially prevalent when discussing rights of younger folks.
Perhaps. But not relevant to this topic. A private party -- a Bi-Mart or Sweet Cakes By Melissa -- compelled to act by the state is as much of an infringement on their rights as is a prohibition on a citizen imposed by force of law. Frankly, as a 2A originalist, I don't see any stipulation to age when I read that torn parchment. We the people have permitted our agents of the state -- through our "just consent" -- to impose upon us these strictures thus we acquiesce to the infringement of our rights "for our own good." A man far smarter than me once said "we get the government we deserve." Another said "careful what you wish for... you just might get it."

Bottom line, as regards this discussion, FWIS: Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart, Dick's, Big 5, et al who have caved to the hysteria of the anti-gun mob have every right to cave and are not obliged to sell me a damn thing. I do not have to like their actions to support their right to take them. YMMV.

Last Edited:
When Bimart gets ammo stock do they display it on the shelf or do you have to ask for it?

They filled the empty spaces on the ammo racks with containers so I can never tell.

Weather I agree with it or not this Is a valid and right opinion. Rights work both ways. Weather I like it or not. I can deal with this as long as it applies to everyone.

UNLIKE many social media which seem to pick and choose who can do what. Even if it is the exact same thing. Support BLM yeah every one likes ya, support the police you can get censored or even out right band.

Many firearm owners share your attitude when it comes to firearm restrictions being infringed upon by governments. They seem to be fine with infringements if it doesn't impact them.
Again, I'm not ok with any government infringements. I'm a will not compromise, will not negotiate, will not yield kind of a guy. I am ok with businesses being allowed to run their businesses as they see fit. If they make desistions I don't agree with I vote with my check book. I'm an ammunition manufacturer, licensed and legal. You were selling ammo in kit form for more than I sell loaded ammo for. Did I whine and complain, no. Did I buy any of your kits even though I really needed the components, no. I voted with my check book and spent my money elsewhere. Your business, your way, my business my way. It really is just that simple.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top