JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I'm new to the Yakima valley, and I saw this in the paper a bit ago. I didn't think much of it at the time, but the more I think about it the more it bugs me. Some excerpts from the article:

<broken link removed>
By the end of the month, county commissioners plan to have metal detectors in place at the lone remaining public entrance on North Second Street.

All visitors will be subjected to the airport-type screening devices to intercept contraband -- weapons or bombs -- before entering the courthouse.
Later, they go on to say:
Eventually, the county wants to move administrative offices out of the building into rented space elsewhere in Yakima, leaving the courthouse solely for courts.

Now, according to the article, if it's accurate, eventually the "courthouse" will be dedicated entirely to courtrooms, judges offices, and prisoner holding facilities. But until then, doesn't this process violate state law?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300
RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places &#8212; Local laws and ordinances &#8212; Exceptions &#8212; Penalty.

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas;

Our preemption clause, for those not familiar:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290
RCW 9.41.290
State preemption.

The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.

I would say it depends on the makeup of the building. Since the code states "The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building." then they could prevent access, except for ingress and egress to the entire building if once inside the security screening you have complete and total access to the entire building.

Snohomish County courthouse has other offices than courts but because of the layout it is feasibly impossible to allow firearms to all non-court related offices. They are in complete compliance with state law even though they do not let you get further than about 8 feet inside with a firearm because of the allowances under law.

I would say it depends on the makeup of the building. Since the code states "The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building." then they could prevent access, except for ingress and egress to the entire building if once inside the security screening you have complete and total access to the entire building.

Snohomish County courthouse has other offices than courts but because of the layout it is feasibly impossible to allow firearms to all non-court related offices. They are in complete compliance with state law even though they do not let you get further than about 8 feet inside with a firearm because of the allowances under law.

I wonder... I'm going in there Tuesday to get my passport, I'll have to eyeball the place.

Grant County (WA) courthouse flagrantly violates it... not only do they ban firearms at the main entrance, but the DOL and Assessor, Elections office and a few others are on that floor. No court-related things there, but you have to go to the Sheriff's office in another building to check your firearms.

I just ignored the sign, as they don't have any screening, but it's a big sign right at the info desk.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top