Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Yakima Courthosue security violate state law?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by livewire98801, Sep 2, 2011.

1. livewire98801

livewire98801 Seattle, WA Member

Okay, I'm new to the Yakima valley, and I saw this in the paper a bit ago. I didn't think much of it at the time, but the more I think about it the more it bugs me. Some excerpts from the article:

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2011/08/03/county-courthouse-undergoing-security-upgrades
    Later, they go on to say:

Now, according to the article, if it's accurate, eventually the "courthouse" will be dedicated entirely to courtrooms, judges offices, and prisoner holding facilities. But until then, doesn't this process violate state law?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

Our preemption clause, for those not familiar:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.290

2. joeroket

joeroket Everett,Wa. Active Member

I would say it depends on the makeup of the building. Since the code states "The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building." then they could prevent access, except for ingress and egress to the entire building if once inside the security screening you have complete and total access to the entire building.

Snohomish County courthouse has other offices than courts but because of the layout it is feasibly impossible to allow firearms to all non-court related offices. They are in complete compliance with state law even though they do not let you get further than about 8 feet inside with a firearm because of the allowances under law.

3. livewire98801

I wonder... I'm going in there Tuesday to get my passport, I'll have to eyeball the place.

Grant County (WA) courthouse flagrantly violates it... not only do they ban firearms at the main entrance, but the DOL and Assessor, Elections office and a few others are on that floor. No court-related things there, but you have to go to the Sheriff's office in another building to check your firearms.

I just ignored the sign, as they don't have any screening, but it's a big sign right at the info desk.

4. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

This would be worth bringing to the attention of the AG's office.

5. livewire98801

That's what I was thinking, I figured I'd run it by our little group first :)

6. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Courthosue security violate state law?

I'd like to meet "Court ho sue", do you have her number?

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LMAO.... DOH!!!