JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found this at the pit yesterday and I am just running this scenario through my brain that it must have been loaded on a progressive press.
Very POOR QC IMHO That it made it to the range and loaded into a magazine. :eek::eek::eek:

C1D7D846-203F-4A81-BDA0-BE7384C4C7F3.jpeg

B337E833-4F04-49FB-A299-69F67D16ABBF.jpeg

it must have been loaded on a progressive press.
Maybe - but it could have simply just been not noticed regardless of the press used.

I once caught the edge of a primer on an un-reamed .556 case in a Rock Chucker and it crunched it in similarly but I caught it before powder & bullet seating.

I don't know maybe I'm just cautious or just don't have the years of experience but I prime cases by hand. I do not even prime on my trusty rock chucker anymore. Yeah I've punched primers sideways upside down and about anyway it could be done but I always catch it.;)

Man, all of the priming tools I have make it pretty obvious if you've stuffed one in sideways; you usually can't get the brass out of the tool without some extra work.

The primer's in there sideways on purpose. That ammo was made to shoot around corners.

Get with the times man.....;)

Agreed with everyone else here. I too load on a progressive press and occasionally one will kick out like this, or worse, completely upside down! That continues to be a head scratcher. I always pause to store finished rounds in the usual 100 round boxes. Never made it to the range with a dud -- so far. Happy to know I'm not the only one with occasional one off primer issues. :D

Hand priming you should have "felt" that. In a progressive you might feel it if you are paying attention- different force required to seat that, it would throw your timing off and the sounds the press makes would be audible. Of course you would see it during post production inspection. Attention to detail required. Mag loading is another chance to catch this issue as well.

Those make a fizzle sound. Don't ask me how I know but the powder isn't ignited.

Ask UMC as well, they have received a few of these from me.

Hand priming you should have "felt" that. In a progressive you might feel it if you are paying attention- different force required to seat that, it would throw your timing off and the sounds the press makes would be audible. Of course you would see it during post production inspection. Attention to detail required. Mag loading is another chance to catch this issue as well.

As noted in the OP, this particular shell was found at a shooting range and not something that I would let through with my loading ethics. ;)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top