JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I find myself carrying, and shooting, the various .44 Magnums more and more these days. Whilst looking over an older text, I read a synopsis of various .455 Webley loads, including the famous "manstopper" wadcutter/hollowpoint. Which got me to thinking about similar loads for the .44 Special/Magnum; that being for social applications, that are on the heavier side, hollow-point, maybe wadcutter or semi-wadcutter, et al.

What are some loads along these lines you've employed? In what revolvers and barrel lengths? Thanks!

P.S. The .44 Magnum is a fine target and hunting cartridge, but this thread is on defense against problematic two-legged types.

I read a similar discussion years ago by Skeeter Skelton.
He favored a 44 Special. Forget the name of his little essay. He described the advantages he was seeking, in a heavy solid lead projectile mounted base-to-muzzle to present the largest shape moving slowly he could devise.
I do not recall whether he induced a small cavity or not in that flat base. He was pretty direct in his application needs. Hope you can find the article....and the load.

He favored a 44 Special. Forget the name of his little essay. He described the advantages he was seeking, in a heavy solid lead projectile mounted base-to-muzzle to present the largest shape moving slowly he could devise.
I do not recall whether he induced a small cavity or not in that flat base. He was pretty direct in his application needs. Hope you can find the article....and the load.
Might be in his collection "Hipshots" ?

300-grain xtp out of a 7 1/2 inch barrel super Blackhawk. at the time the super Blackhawk and Redhawk were the only 2 revolvers with a cylinder long enough to hold the load. it wasn't a lot of fun to shoot, a good set of pachmayr grips helped. MANSTOPPER!!!

Funny you mention it, because the Hornady 300-grain XTP is one I found in my travels. Seems to be quite spicy. Will it work in a Smith & Wesson? (One is Model 29 with 6½" barrel, the other a 629 with 5" tube. Both in the "Classic" series.)

Funny you mention it, because the Hornady 300-grain XTP is one I found in my travels. Seems to be quite spicy. Will it work in a Smith & Wesson? (One is Model 29 with 6½" barrel, the other a 629 with 5" tube. Both in the "Classic" series.)
I don't know for sure, at the time they said that loaded to the first cannelure they would not fit in wheel guns other than the Rugers. I don't remember the load data but "spicy" is certainly one way to put it!

I remember reading about his reversed HBWC load.
Like Elmer Keith, Skeeter liked Unique powder so it was probably driven by a charge of Unique.
And 44SPL is all you need for that load.

Matt's Bullets has the hard to find .430 HBWC bullets.

I don't know for sure, at the time they said that loaded to the first cannelure they would not fit in wheel guns other than the Rugers. I don't remember the load data but "spicy" is certainly one way to put it!
one of my neighbors is running a similar load in a Ruger 77/44 suppressed. got a nice blacky at 40 yards last year, shot him in the neck. one and done!

one of my neighbors is running a similar load in a Ruger 77/44 suppressed. got a nice blacky at 40 yards last year, shot him in the neck. one and done!
We have a suppressed Ruger 77/44. I normally run .44 Specials in said, but interesting idea. :)

carabina-jpg.jpg

I load a 240 gr SWC over W-231 to about 900 fps for a buddy's 4 1/2" SBH, I load a bunch of heavy sub sonic loads for my suppressed 44 mag encore. I would think a 320gr bulet at 900-1000 fps would work as a man stopper.

So there are 44 magnum loads that are not considered "manstoppers"... ?
Well, these are "ratstoppers".
rata.jpg

(Parenthetically, the last varmint I dispatched here was a large rat with a .357 loaded with the same. And by "large rat" I mean I suspected it was actually a chihuahua who had donned a rat costume. :s0112:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top