JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So we had a "new" (they have been open for a couple of months) gun store open in Redmond right on 97! I was pumped, looked like it was going to carry lots of brands and merchandise!!! Soooooo I went in about a month ago to check them out and hopefully give them some of my hard earned mulla, only one other customer in there besides myself mind you and hardly anything on the shelves, I mean NOTHING!!! A little bit of cheap Condor tactical junk on one wall, some first aid kits (way overpriced) and a smattering of patches and gazingis pins in the display case, okay I says to myself not alot of stuff to choose from, so I waited and walked around for almost ten minutes and not once did either of the "gunslingers" behind the counter say a word to me. So I left!
Fast forward to Memorial Day wknd, my buddy from the valley is over and we are next door getting some growlers filled with a tasty beverage and he say's to me hey, is that a gun store next door? (buddy is in the market for a Glock and ammo, has cash and REALLY want's to buy) I say why yes it is, let's go take a look. We walked in at EXACTLY 5:59 PM (they close at 6:00) were greeted by the owner and told that they were closed, my buddy say's do you have any pistols for sale, he is told maybe, they got some today in but are not sure when they will be unpacked?? Okay, what about ammo for sale??? Yeah we have some, but come back tomorrow and we will figure what we have!! Now my buddy had about $1,200 he was ready to throw down but after that we turned around walked out and I am never going back!
I own a small business and I cannot figure out for the life of me how you can treat your customers like that and expect to stay in business! I have made special trips to my shop just to open it up for one customer so he can get what he needs!!
Anyway I will NEVER be going back to Xtactical in redmond and Adam if you are reading this, you turned away $2,000 worth of business that day bud, hope you figure what how to treat your customers better or you aint gonna make it!!

Redmond has always been a difficult town to own a business in. The traffic flow and layout are a real challenge, as well as the fact that most of the traffic is "just passing through." When I lived in Oregon, Centwise Sporting Goods seemed like the only decent shop in Redmond.

Just a theory I have so it's entirely possible I am wrong but .... We had a gun store in my community that if memory serves lasted 8-10 months or so. I don't know why they went out of business but part of it had (my opinion) to do with not having much merchandise and I would assume they had the same troubles as everyone else getting ammo or guns. At any rate my theory is that if you were in the gun business several years ago you might be weathering the storm OK but if you tried to get into it recently you were going to have a hard time making a solid run at staying in the black. Right now I don't think location or customer service matters as much as it did previously.

I'm curious why you waited 'till now, almost a month later, to voice you displeasure now about the incident?

If you're not a regular at the store you wouldn't necessarily know what kind of business the guy had been doing, maybe he had a busy three days and needed/wanted to get home to his family to enjoy the holiday? And, we all know how much us gun enthusiasts like to look and fondle gun stuff with out buying, always hoping for that one thing you didn't know you had to have until you see it. The man wasn't going to hang around another 20 minutes just in case THAT happened.

Id never walk into a restaurant or a gun shop 1 minute before closing and expect to be greeted with open arms. And, at least your buddy has myriad gun shops in the valley to purchase firearms from, maybe better priced too considering the competition?

Mike

I'm curious why you waited 'till now, almost a month later, to voice you displeasure now about the incident?

If you're not a regular at the store you wouldn't necessarily know what kind of business the guy had been doing, maybe he had a busy three days and needed/wanted to get home to his family to enjoy the holiday? And, we all know how much us gun enthusiasts like to look and fondle gun stuff with out buying, always hoping for that one thing you didn't know you had to have until you see it. The man wasn't going to hang around another 20 minutes just in case THAT happened.

Id never walk into a restaurant or a gun shop 1 minute before closing and expect to be greeted with open arms. And, at least your buddy has myriad gun shops in the valley to purchase firearms from, maybe better priced too considering the competition?

Mike
I waited till now because I am a small business owner and work 7 days a week trying to make sure my customers have everything they need when they need it! I have very little free time! What in the world does it matter when I post about it???? Stupid question! I don't expect to greeted with open arms, not sure where you got that impression from, but when you are running a business and you can't even be polite to your customers and assist them with answers how do you expect to stay in business??? I guess that is the new way of doing business, kick people out and tell them to come back later when its convenient for you!!

I had the same feeling when I walked in. There are MUCH better options in Redmond. Start with Gunner's just east of downtown on about Cascade or Deschutes. Another one on 97 a little north of where you were on the same side. Can't remember the name of it right now. Not as friendly and I don't generally spend time in a shop where everything is behind the counter and you can't handle the guns without asking for it. They have really nice firearms though.

My guess is that the tactical shop won't be there this time next year. We'll see.

Centwise Sporting Goods seemed like the only decent shop in Redmond.
It always used to be and I have bought many guns and accessories from them over the years. Haven't been in there in several years though as the only time I get to Redmond is when I visit my parents or have to go to one of the other two shops of the company I work for. Guess I'll have to make a special trip in and check out this 'Xtactical' - maybe I had better hurry though.........

It always used to be and I have bought many guns and accessories from them over the years. Haven't been in there in several years though as the only time I get to Redmond is when I visit my parents or have to go to one of the other two shops of the company I work for. Guess I'll have to make a special trip in and check out this 'Xtactical' - maybe I had better hurry though.........

Don't waste your time, money or gas brother! I really was looking forward to supporting another local shop but after both my experiences I will not be back ever again!

You walked in at 5:59, one minute until closing time, keeping the people at the store from their personal lives, and act like they should happily take care of you? Seriously?

They won't miss you.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." We're talking about basic human decency. Act like you're aware that the people behind the counter are people, and their lives matter, too.

You walked in at 5:59, one minute until closing time, keeping the people at the store from their personal lives, and act like they should happily take care of you? Seriously?

They won't miss you.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." We're talking about basic human decency. Act like you're aware that the people behind the counter are people, and their lives matter, too.

Any good small business owner would be happy or at least act happy toward any future customer. Small businesses usually can't compete with the big stores so they have to do something special to build their business. The easiest and cheapest thing you can do is greet your customer with a smile and treat them like you really want their business.
I own my own business and would gladly work late or stay late even if they were just looking. With the internet, bad reviews will kill your business. I have had a few customers that were unhappy with a price after I had done the work that was agreed upon and for an agreed upon price. My solution is to ask them what they think is fair for the work performed and refund them the rest. I will also not do work for that person in the future but at least they won't go online and leave me poor feedback.
This thread could have easily been a positive review and gained said business more customers instead of a bad review and a loss of customers. I give the guy less than a year until his doors close unless he changes his ways.

They won't miss you.

WOW! For your sake I really hope you never own a business, one minute before closing time and I need to be concerned for their "personal lives"??? you are a moron! If you cant provide service and your clients need to know to only come in when its convenient for you, you don't deserve to be in business!!! So I should tell me customers that call me on the weekend looking for tools not to bother me??? How stupid can you really be??? I knew their would be trolls defending this kind of treatment but I had no idea I would be lambasted for "disturbing" the poor, tired, overworked, under appreciated owner! Good grief! Do unto others????? Seriously dude?? That is funny!!

There a new shop opening in Bend, I stop in to check them out but they weren't ready to open the doors yet. Centerfire Gunworks 2115 NE 3rd Street, ph# 541.633.7377 might to give them a look.

Lost Creek Armory on Bend River Mall Drive were some cool dudes too. Right by Shopco and IHOP.

Tits, Brian @centerfire is one my customers, really cool guy. Looking forward to doing more business with him and helping get his business off the ground!!!!

I used to run a small business and I understand all sides of the 'time' issue. For one thing I ran mine out of my home shop so people knew I was around, sort of, all the time and would call me at odd hours but I never minded and did my best to take care of them especially if they were other business owners themselves or personal acquaintances. My point is I would not necessarily enter a business one minute before closing time - especially if I were just shopping with no specific need in mind - and then try to defend and rationalize it by saying how much I 'might' have spent. If there is a specific product I need and I know they have it then I would state such so I can get in and out quickly but all business people know how many 'tire kickers' there are out there who will go out of there way to waste your time. Regardless though anyone in a small business should be willing to understand that a certian amount of 'give and take' is necessary and should be prepared to handle the occasional after, or odd hour requests. Heck some of my most interesting jobs were just that but I was service only - not retail but the same consideration applies.

I used to run a small business and I understand all sides of the 'time' issue. For one thing I ran mine out of my home shop so people knew I was around, sort of, all the time and would call me at odd hours but I never minded and did my best to take care of them especially if they were other business owners themselves or personal acquaintances. My point is I would not necessarily enter a business one minute before closing time - especially if I were just shopping with no specific need in mind - and then try to defend and rationalize it by saying how much I 'might' have spent. If there is a specific product I need and I know they have it then I would state such so I can get in and out quickly but all business people know how many 'tire kickers' there are out there who will go out of there way to waste your time. Regardless though anyone in a small business should be willing to understand that a certian amount of 'give and take' is necessary and should be prepared to handle the occasional after, or odd hour requests. Heck some of my most interesting jobs were just that but I was service only - not retail but the same consideration applies.

I am not trying to rationalize our timing. I didn't even know what time he closed no hours were posted at the time, we thought we would check it out and that was about it. I guess I just don't understand the lack of being polite, screw customer service just be polite when people step in asking questions! That's it!

I guess I just don't understand the lack of being polite, screw customer service just be polite when people step in asking questions! That's it!
I agree completely! That is part of my 'give and take' I was referencing. Unfortunately far too many people go into business and lack one of the most important aspects - the ability to communicate with people in a polite manner and be able to 'shift gears' quickly to deal with the vast differences in people most never understand until being in business for themselves.

Some of my memorable 'after hours' work:

Driving up to Sisters Hotel on a Friday night to repair a broken boat trailer tongue - and then having to deal with a drunk friend of the 'group leader' of the weekend guys' fishing trip who thought I was charging too much. This was easy though as I told the 'leader' to shut his boy up NOW or I leave.

Another boat trailer tongue repair on a Sunday and they guy telling me when I was done he had no money to pay me. I left with a Stevens 16 ga. shotgun from that deal.

Welding a battery box for a guy building a motorhome on a new years day (but this I agreed to when he called me the previous day eve and ASKED if I would do it) Then he had sandwiches, a half rack of Deschutes Brewery Beer for when I was done and handed me basically double in cash what I estimated.

Responding to a Redmond business on a Friday night to disassemble and take back to my shop a stainless steel oven door to repair a broken hinge, then meet him at six AM the following Saturday morning to reassemble it so he would be up and running for the weekend - and then ask me for a bill (when I saw his till full of cash when he opened it)

Answering my phone one Saturday morning at five am and the guy was talking to me like it was ten AM on a weekday. He needed something repaired and he was very sincere, just didn't seem cognizant that it was five AM. I asked him politely if he could at least wait until I got up and dressed and had coffee, and he said "Oh I am sorry for calling so early and when can I come over" I told him seven would be great.

My point? You need to be flexible as a small business owner but not allow anyone to take advantage of you.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top