Gun Deals
Sporting Systems
Buster Beaver Cerakote
J&B Firearm Sales
Southwest Firearms Forum
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Oregon Rifleworks
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Would you? SBR your kids future rifle.

Reno

Reactions
So I have been playing around with the idea of shortening a gun I purchased far far ahead of my sons ability to shoot the thing.

I have taught and let youngsters shoot my guns a lot in my time being a gun guy and I always noticed kids having issues with longer front heavy guns. Even with lighter guns like a 10-22 I still see some kids just have a hard time holding them while shooting.

My thoughts are to eliminate this by SBRing the little Rascal I bought for my son.

So, would you shorten it? Make it into a true, kid sized gun?

A9935E8E-96E7-46C9-BDE7-0391EB3CC3F6.jpeg

OP
Reno

Reno

Reactions
If an SBA3 works for me I dont know why they would need an SBR...:rolleyes:
Ya, I am going through and submitting all my “pistols” for SBRs. I don’t think braces will have the same longevity IMO.

I wouldn’t.... For little tykes that can’t manage the front barrel weight of even the likes of a bone-stock 10/22, I’d keep them at the bench/prone shooting “stage” until they grow big enough (mentally and physically) to “walk and chew gum” at the same time.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.... that also applies to raising/training kidletts.

Just my opinion. ;)

Camelfilter

Reactions
I wouldn’t bother.

As @Stomper suggests.

Whence they understand safety fundamentals & can shoot offhand, mayhaps give one of those Ruger Charger pistols a look see. With a brace.

Dunno the “easiest” method to make one conveniently single shot tho. Shouldn’t be too hard, I’d wager.

Taco_lean

Reactions
I would rather SBR an AR lower that he can grow into and use his whole life, and build him a nice .22lr upper (that I would use myself until he was old enough to start shooting!)

Maybe look into a lightweight .22 barrel?

Do you have a mad scientist laboratory where you cross breed AOWs and SBRs?
Sadly, no. Maybe some day. (But with what is due in tomorrow, I will have crossed off every NFA category, sans a Destructive Device. Hmmm ... may be that is the next step. Mahahaha.)

Reactions
Since you have the disposable cash, the time to wait, why not? You can keep the current stock and go with a light weight shorter stock, or an adjustable stock. Chop the barrel down to 12 or 14 inches. It becomes a super lightweight fun gun. Better yet - get a Ruger American Rimfire and SBR that - you get the benefit of taking 10-22 mags, still slow action because its a bolt gun... and you have a fun little blaster you can enjoy once the kid is 6' tall and humping a G3 around for funsies. :D

Reactions
I wouldnt . Just makes it into more of a hassle when he gets older . You always need to be around until he gets old enough to either be a trustee or assign it to him permanently on a form 4. Get him a normal lightweight pencil barrel 10-22.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I had a second gunsmithing job completed by Mr. Copeland. As with the first, he did amazingly good work, communication was solid, and the rates...
    • CountryGent
    5.00 star(s)
    I brought Tim a henry goldenboy youth and a vision of what I wanted. Tim made it come true at a very reasonable price, while others quoted me way...
    • Iceman04503
    5.00 star(s)
    Tim, has done several projects including a sweet 1911 .38 super project
    • Qochoc
  • Mary's Pistols
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic small business with equally excellent folks running the place. I was given fair value for a trade in and was able to order something I...
    • Red98422
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS