JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have been playing around with the idea of shortening a gun I purchased far far ahead of my sons ability to shoot the thing.

I have taught and let youngsters shoot my guns a lot in my time being a gun guy and I always noticed kids having issues with longer front heavy guns. Even with lighter guns like a 10-22 I still see some kids just have a hard time holding them while shooting.

My thoughts are to eliminate this by SBRing the little Rascal I bought for my son.

So, would you shorten it? Make it into a true, kid sized gun?

A9935E8E-96E7-46C9-BDE7-0391EB3CC3F6.jpeg

I wouldn't.... For little tykes that can't manage the front barrel weight of even the likes of a bone-stock 10/22, I'd keep them at the bench/prone shooting "stage" until they grow big enough (mentally and physically) to "walk and chew gum" at the same time.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.... that also applies to raising/training kidletts.

Just my opinion. ;)

I wouldn't bother.

As @Stomper suggests.

Whence they understand safety fundamentals & can shoot offhand, mayhaps give one of those Ruger Charger pistols a look see. With a brace.

Dunno the "easiest" method to make one conveniently single shot tho. Shouldn't be too hard, I'd wager.

I would rather SBR an AR lower that he can grow into and use his whole life, and build him a nice .22lr upper (that I would use myself until he was old enough to start shooting!)

Maybe look into a lightweight .22 barrel?

Since you have the disposable cash, the time to wait, why not? You can keep the current stock and go with a light weight shorter stock, or an adjustable stock. Chop the barrel down to 12 or 14 inches. It becomes a super lightweight fun gun. Better yet - get a Ruger American Rimfire and SBR that - you get the benefit of taking 10-22 mags, still slow action because its a bolt gun... and you have a fun little blaster you can enjoy once the kid is 6' tall and humping a G3 around for funsies. :D

I wouldnt . Just makes it into more of a hassle when he gets older . You always need to be around until he gets old enough to either be a trustee or assign it to him permanently on a form 4. Get him a normal lightweight pencil barrel 10-22.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top