JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The question should be: would you defend the US again? Same answer as Core above. Of course. But they most likely would pass on someone my age.

Shocked to see that only 11% of Japanese said that they would.

The question is kinda out of context and asked with no underlying facts or lead-up scenario.
In the years before WWII, even the Japanese of pre-1940's wouldn't have signed up for Kamikaze missions in any number because at that time they would have thought differently than when their backs were against the wall, many thought they were about to die anyway. Heck before 1940 I'm pretty sure most American's would have laughed at the idea they'd be getting shot in droves on some beach in France.

1. not a realistic option in the current world of guided missiles and drones.
2. pilots take too much time and money to train.
3. at $50m or more, planes are much to costly to waste on a single mission.
4. we'd never be able to convince our people that politicians are Gods.
5. the idea is to make your enemy die for his country.
I believe they were trained to take off and control the aircraft, little training, if any, in landing. What's the need?

I'd pick up a rifle and try... though with my having failed the physical three different ways (thankfully BEFORE getting to "turn head and cough," I'd be F***ING P*SSED about getting violated for nothing) I'd probably drop from a coronary early in the Big Show, consuming medical attention that could probably be better allocated elsewhere.

This is part of why I've advocated making the physical standards fit the MOS... if somebody wants to serve but is unfit to have a place in the line, let us serve as a file clerk or something where the physical requirements and available body are a better fit and free up a more able body FOR the line. How fit do you really need to be to be a Nintendo Game Warrior with a drone, anyway? LOL

I too like you failed the physical when I tried to join. But like you say there are plenty of other jobs in the military that don't require front line combat that are equally needed in support roles. I have been employed in my lifetime in physically grueling jobs that were almost as tough as combat. I would have gladly done any of these support roles. Today a lot of these jobs are done by military contractors whose employees may or may not be able to pass military standards. And they cost a lot more than military personnel.

I love my country , faults and all... I also love the ideas on which it was founded and the idea of what it can be.
Andy
^^^^^THIS. Amen
"Come all you young rebels and list while we sing for the love of one's country is a terrible thing. It banishes fear with the speed of a flame, and makes us all part of The Patriot Game..."

The kamikaze had patriotism and religion going for them... the emperor being seen as the living embodiment of "God"... makes it easier to die for your country when your leader is the Almighty. State Shinto and a brand of Buddhism was used by the warlords to control the country and direct the war machine and the lives and deaths of the Japanese people. An incredible mixture of some pretty profound and some very pragmatic but mundane beliefs. As Chesterton might have said, a mix of the "Mad, Mundane and Metaphysical".

Last Edited:
I would defend this country til my last dying breath. For nothing more than those that did it before me, under oath.

On 9/11/2001, the first effective response to the attacks on the United States of America did not come from the Armed Forces, the Law Enforcement arms of the Federal Government, any agency of the Federal Government, nor any agency of any State or Local Government.

That response came from ordinary Americans who figured out on their own that they were in a position to confront their attackers. They organized themselves, and despite being disarmed by policies directed against them by their Government, developed a plan to counterattack the hijackers of United Airlines Flight 93 and executed that plan, knowing full well that their odds of survival were vanishingly small.

Their sacrifice prevented the hijackers from attacking Washington D.C. with that aircraft. In honor of their courage: "Let's Roll!"
:s0042:
These men and women of Flight 93 are and forever will be, in my personal pantheon of heroes. May God Almighty bless and keep them near to His heart!

On November 20, 1972 I raised my right hand and took an oath:

"I [...] do solemnly swear to that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I was called to serve, I served honorably and no one ever took the oath back from me. I consider that oath to be unbreakable to this day.

Yes, I will defend this country.

The country? No. Especially as it stands right now.

The principles it was founded on? To the death. I defend them almost every day when I advocate for liberty.

I am not a patriot - I live for principle, not region.

We the people ..... self governing under our Constitution, are the United States of America. The government, is not the United States of America.

Based on the above premise, if the United States of America were attacked, I would do everything I could, without reservation or hesitation to defend the United States of America.

Both of these are kind of on point for what I believe. The USA is not a place, it is an idea.

That idea has morphed, and often irritates the hell out of me. But I firmly believe that ours is the worst nation on earth, except for all the others. There are plenty of examples where we have done wrong.
And many where citizens have done right.

I would defend the fact that we are citizens, not subjects.
That the government is US - WE the people
That we must defend our actions - we are responsible.
That we must share that responsibility at the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box. -- Frederick Douglas (-ish) We also add the Soap Box - that is speaking up/out.

Liberty is paid for in blood.

But I firmly believe that ours is the worst nation on earth, except for all the others.

I see what you did there ... and I like it. Churchill.jpg

These men and women of Flight 93 are and forever will be, in my personal pantheon of heroes. May God Almighty bless and keep them near to His heart!

The wife and I visited the National Flight 93 Memorial near Shanksville a week after it opened. I just got goosebumps typing this response. As you go through the museum you can pick up telephone handsets at various locations and listen to the [recorded] last phone call from one of the airplane passengers. We were relieved the impact site was off limits, and visitors are kept at a respectful distance.

Liberal, Democratic voting gun owner.

Did (defend my county), and would again (if they'd have me - 72 now).

It's pretty simple - you're a patriot or you're not.

What are you?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top