JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would be close. The wholesale value of the two guns new is not quite $650. Considering both are used (even if one is said to be unfired, its still used), the used retail value should be close to $575 to $625. Considering the cost of a new Gen4 Glock 26 is around $525 to $550 and the shop would like to make as much profit as possible, it would be close. If you look around long enough, you might find a shop willing to do the trade, but I wouldn't expect them to throw anything in (like the cost of the BGC, ammo, etc).

Good luck.

Sadly probably not.
Seriously, save your firearms brother.

Do a fair trade with someone on here or save your cash for a little while and pick up a used G26.

Most pawn and gun shops are going to give you pennies on the dollar for your trade in, please dont do it.

In the end its your choice..
WAY back in the day I made the same move and regretted it, so from my experiance its a TERRIBLE idea. Get fair value for your firearms not a junk deal from folks looking to make a buck.

Get fair value for your firearms not a junk deal from folks looking to make a buck.

I take slight exception to the tone on that last part. We are not all just here "to make a buck". But a shop has overhead and if we don't make profit, we close.

I make sure my customers always get three pieces of information when they bring in a gun to sell or trade. What I can pay for their gun, what I intend to sell their gun for, and how much it's worth on the private sales market.

My shop has never been about "making a buck", it's been about taking care of customers. If the best way to do that is to buy or trade for their item, great. If the best way is to send them out the door with more information than they came in with, that's good too.

Like any profession, I know there are bubblegums in the industry. But please don't lump all of us into that category.

You could easily sell both at a gun show for $450+ total, then buy a used G26 for the same. Or maybe new if shopped around.

Here in Oregon, in theory we can buy/sell/BGC at a gun show to non-licensees without paying any FFL transfer fee, though I've never actually done it. So that could save ~$60 in fees as well.*

Legally a "gun show" is any event with 25+ guns available for transfer. Even if the "gun show" is three buyers in your garage, make sure you post the required legal notice.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.438

*I meant FFL transfer fee, props to Telero for correcting. OSP still requires $10 BGC fee.

Last Edited:
Y'all keep saying the gun shop won't give you anything or they'll rip you off.when you know that they can't give you any more than about 80% of wholesale or they won't make a profit.
You know to do things like pay employees for y'all to complain about in a weekly thread?
Maybe keep the lights on so y'all can fondle the guns before you go home and buy it on GB?

I would say to the OP that you should be able to make the trade. The guns should be around $400 retail,used each? Or close.So $300 each trade? May need a few bucks on your end
I would try a gun show first. Those price point guns sell pretty fast at the shows and at the shops

Here in Oregon, in theory we can buy/sell/BGC at a gun show to non-licensees without paying the $10 fee, though I've never actually done it. So that could save $30 for BGC fees as well.

Still have to pay the $10 fee to the state at a gun show for a background check. Just don't have to go through a dealer and pay whatever the dealer is charging for the transfer.

Legally a "gun show" is any event with 25+ guns available for transfer. Even if the "gun show" is three buyers in your garage, make sure you post the required legal notice.

I couldn't find any definition of event. I'd like to think you're right about that, but I'd definitely want clarification before making that declaration.

I like what RicInOr had to say. Dude, develop a relationship with a gun shop.
If you are offered pennies on the dollar, and you accept it, it was a deal you both agreed on and no one got screwed. Not like a gunshop owner is holding your hardware to your head.
As I read it, your OP was asking if your expectation is reasonable. Never know until you try.
I say check out a few shops, then go back to the one you like the most and get to know them.
Look at their used gun racks and get an idea of how they charge for guns of a typical condition. You know what you want and what you'll settle for - go for it.
In the long run, $50 or $60 down isn't a big deal, as long as you don't keep repeating the same steps.

Greed seems to be human nature ... folks want to buy low and sell high. As pointed out above a gun shop wants to, needs to, make a profit. I cannot think of a better way to get in good with a gun shop that helping them make a profit. I figure I've gotten far more from the gunsmith/shop I deal with locally than the 20% he skims off the top from any consignment sales I do though his shop. Different strokes for different folks, so whatever floats your boat. The only way to find out if a shop will do the trade you suggest is to make the offer to a shop. Have you tried yet?

Last Edited:
id never trade in either of my pistols for 150. i think i will just hold onto em. I sold a ruger lcp for $300 after firing the bejeezus outta it so to take 150 would be straight dumb

I couldn't find any definition of event. I'd like to think you're right about that, but I'd definitely want clarification before making that declaration.

As you'll know, the backers of Measure 5 in 2000 deliberately defined "gun show" as broadly as possible, to have widest restrictive impact. Specifically they wanted to cover private gun shows.

Hence, "any event where 25+ guns are on-site available for transfer." I even recall cases where sales initiated at a gun show and continued elsewhere were subject to the definition.

Of course, post-SB941, it's now actually less restrictive to sell at a "gun show". So the over-broad definition actually helps us.

Yes, the ORS does not specifically define 'event'. Would two guys in a garage full of guns qualify? What if you initiated the transfer at a public gun show but complete it at your house?

Perhaps more importantly, does it matter? Certainly seems like you'd be safe after the state transfer was legally competed under 166.438. The only party which might want clarification on your legal gun show is OSP Firearms Unit during the request itself.

If they demanded a public gun show, you could likely put together a temporary public facebook event to help satisfy. Or you could remind them of the ORS 166.438 definition.

<broken link removed>

Hook686 makes a valid point about consignment sales. I only did one, a Steyr M40. When it was all said and done, even after paying his cut, I was only ~$30 down from what I had paid for it new.
However, and a big one - the LGS owner said he would "call me right after it sold." I'm ADD so I forgot about it. I stopped by two months later, thinking it hadn't sold. "Oh, I forgot to call you." He had to open up his record book to see what it had sold for. I saw the date of sale - it had sold within 1 week of me dropping it off.
There's a point here: people may talk about LGS owners being shysters, and I'm sure there are a few. Yet, for every bad LGS owner, I'll bet there are >30 nutjobs and scum who walk into those LGS. Hence, they may not be very trusting off the bat.
Business relationships are good -- the best ones have mutual respect and trust.

Greed seems to be human nature ... folks want to buy low and sell high. As pointed out above a gun shop wants to, needs to, make a profit. I cannot think of a better way to get in good with a gun shop that helping them make a profit. I figure I've gotten far more from the gunsmith/shop I deal with locally than the 20% he skims off the top from any consignment sales I do though his shop. Different strokes for different folks, so whatever floats your boat. The only way to find out if a shop will do the trade you suggest is to make the offer to a shop. Have you tried yet?
My problem is I decide I want something so I have to do what it takes to get that gun.
Sometimes I can sell mine at a gun show and sometimes not.
I had a Rem. 700 re-barreled in 308 with a 26in threaded barrel.Nice gun,got fondled at 2 gun shows for 2 days each.
Sold it the first day at when I put it on consignment.
Point is sometimes it's just what you want to do and sometimes you have time before you need that new gun.
The 2 guns you are thinking of trading should sell easy so trading isn't necessary....unless you need the glock real bad

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top