JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I lived with enough of this crap 'till I was 27 when I moved here. Enjoyed it as a kid, and when I started driving and skiing. NOW, I don't even like the smell of snow...yeah, I can smell it in the air. Ice is terrible and causes power outages. I have a good wood stove but I don't like being cold. I worry about the plants I grow, trees loosing limbs. I'm one of them that feed birds too, that means even more hassle in this kind of weather. Maybe I'm just too nervous of a person! Give me sweet, moist, clean air, with gentle rain! That is what I love about the temperate climate this side of The Cascades.

I know we are getting older Mike but DAYUUUUMMMMMM, oknow & I had to put chains on his F350 just to go fishin man, where is your sense of adventure? I said LET R BUCK Brother, gonna go fishin!!!! I'll get warmer when I'm dead....:D

IMGP0491.JPG
Twas a few years ago but still a wintry scene with a frozen pond and her sliding around on it to retrieve her first duck. I'm tearin up here I'm such a proud Daddy...:)

IMGP0481.JPG

Last Edited:
Caveman Jim,

I might need to put a couple of those signs on my place.

IMG_0178.JPG

When I was young and stupid, I went deer hunting on some property without getting permission. I left right after they stopped shooting at me.

I'm pretty sure they aimed to miss me.

I know we are getting older Mike but DAYUUUUMMMMMM, oknow & I had to put chains on his F350 just to go fishin man, where is your sense of adventure? I said LET R BUCK Brother, gonna go fishin!!!! I'll get warmer when I'm dead....:D

I admire your sense of adventure Jim. Glad to see you've still got that fire for early, cold mornings. You go boy! I always said "You got plenty of TIME TO SLEEP when you're dead". I have a terrible time getting up early TOO anymore.

Caveman Jim,

I might need to put a couple of those signs on my place.

View attachment 333453

When I was young and stupid, I went deer hunting on some property without getting permission. I left right after they stopped shooting at me.

I'm pretty sure they aimed to miss me.

The ole "Crack & Thump" military training could have told ya just how badly they aimed....:eek::eek::eek::D
LOL, I guess we all did some stupid stuff when we were younger, just happy we lived to tell about it!!! :p:p:p

I admire your sense of adventure Jim. Glad to see you've still got that fire for early, cold mornings. You go boy! I always said "You got plenty of TIME TO SLEEP when you're dead". I have a terrible time getting up early TOO anymore.

Same here Mike, I just reserve the alarm clock (wifes elbow) to a day or two during the week instead of fishing every chance I got when younger... I have a boat now so it's not like I have to get up at 2:30 am just to get a spot on my favorite rock... lol

Freezing rain is the worst of all H2O weather. Having lived in the Portland-Vancouver area for the last 65 almost 66 years I have seen my share of all kinds of weather in the area and have worked a lot of times in it. The one thing to remember is the cold and freezing snow and ice doesn't really last that long in comparison to other areas of the country. People would be a lot better to stay home during one of our weather events rather than risking it to go out in conditions that put you and others at risk. I think a lot of the blame falls on employers who insist on business as usual even if it puts your employees at risk. So you risk life and limb to get to work especially in retail and then sit around all day twiddling your thumbs because your customers who are smarter than your boss decide it is too dangerous to venture out and stay home. I wonder how many millions in collision repairs could have been saved the last month if people had stayed home a few days during the worst of it. Of course the body shops and tow truck operators pray to the gods of snow and ice for these weather events.

We were without power and phone from Monday afternoon till Thursday afternoon, ran my little 1KW generator nonstop to keep the Toyostove going, had to stick our food into a snow bank to keep it from spoiling not enough juice in that little machine to run 2 appliances such as that. here are a couple of shots we ended up with around 3' of the white stuff. I love seeing it on the mountains as it keeps the aquifers full and the streams flowing, but I don't enjoy having to deal with it. We are on an ungraded 1/2 mile driveway and haven't been able to get out, groceries are starting to get low and the dogs' are enjoying TV dinners since their stuff ran out caught us a little by surprise and unprepared. Thankfully I had stocked up on gas for the generator.
All the photos are from my windows or front step. Look close 2 does from the living room window in the bottom photo, then the top photo is a lurking avalanche by the back door, the middle one is our front deck under the Fir tree, which makes a really nice place to sit in the shade in the summer, we'll see if the limbs recover once the load is off them.
Gabby snow 009.JPG snow 014.JPG
snow 003.JPG

A couple more.
Top one is from the front room, next one is from the L-room looking at the garden shed, fenced dog yard, and our small pond iced over. Our cabin was built in the 1920's and the front half is the original logs harvested from the property by the first owner, it is one of the last homesteads granted in Oregon. The half the living room is in was built around 1990 I think. We love it but can do without all this white stuff we're getting a bit too old to play in it anymore.
Gabby
snow 020.JPG snow 023.JPG

Ok here are a few more, Bull terrier pup in the snow (he really neds to work on getting those ears up) and a view from the barn looking towards the hills. IMG_1960.JPG IMG_1957.JPG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top