JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
interesting comment
back in the '70s, I slept in a Army mummy bag, wrapped in a shelter half under 6" of German snow and never felt cold
the same in Colorado at 7000' in sub zero weather
I take it the new equipment is not equal to the old NATO issue from the '60/70s
my son slept in a snow cave in Boy Scouts up at 6000' on Mt Hood in an REI sleeping bag on a ground cloth and he tells me he never felt the cold
he has the Boy Scout Winter Camp Merit badge on his sash to prove it

I bet some of the older stuff is better no doubt. I just remember using 2 bags with the bivy camo liner. Supposedly its rated for below 30* below. This one particular night it was around 26* and I couldn't stay warm. It might have been I need all bags for the system to work properly. There's a newer version of the MSS issued now vs the one I had. The bags themselves are basically nylon with little to no fill that pack into a bivy system that goes into the bottom of your rucksack.

Last Edited:
I bet some of the older stuff is better no doubt. I just remember using 2 bags with the bivy camo liner. Supposedly its rated for below 30* below. This one particular night it was around 26* and I couldn't stay warm. It might have been I need all bags for the system to work properly. There's a newer version of the MSS issued now vs the one I had. The bags themselves are basically nylon with little to no fill that pack into a bivy system that goes into the bottom of your rucksack.

They're intended to keep a soldier or Marine from dying for 4 hours wearing the entire Extreme Cold Weather System clothing items (all the fleece levels, insulated field jackets and so forth). Does not mean comfortable and needing only base layers. Nope..no sir. None of that civilian talk :rolleyes: this has been true for the Extreme cold Weather mummy bags (Intermediate Cold and Extreme Cold), and true for the lowly poncho liner.

They're intended to keep a soldier or Marine from dying for 4 hours wearing the entire Extreme Cold Weather System clothing items (all the fleece levels, insulated field jackets and so forth). Does not mean comfortable and needing only base layers. Nope..no sir. None of that civilian talk :rolleyes: this has been true for the Extreme cold Weather mummy bags (Intermediate Cold and Extreme Cold), and true for the lowly poncho liner.
this is the rating for the bags issued to us in Germany and Colorado in my days

US MILITARY ISSUE EXTREME COLD WEATHER SLEEPING BAG IN OD GREEN

NSN: 8465-01-033-8057

These sleeping bags are made of water-repellent poplin cotton outer shell with 80% down 20% polyester filling.

They feature a 64" long zipper, offset stitching at the seams and a 3 in storm flap with snaps over the zipper.

Rated for -20°F.

These bags are 84 inches long, 30" wide at the top and 14" at the bottom and weigh 9 lbs 8 oz.

They were issued from the 1970's into the early 2000's.

I think people get the wrong impression about "milspec" and military issue. Since getting out or ETS'ing in 2018. Most my issued gear stays in storage tubs along with that Modular Sleep System. I used to hike with my ACU rucksack but then discovered REI and Osprey bags which in my opinion are just smarter better built designs. For instance the current issue Rucksack uses a " durable" plastic frame that creeks and shifts weight around too much, not mention can break. The REI and Osprey bags use wire frame for rigidity and have built in hydration bladders, pockets and dividers.

What I do like for issued gear, fleece. Beanie, jackets, assault pack.

The military use to issue ALICE packs with metal frames, which are highly sought after. Not so much anymore. If the DOD consulted with outdoor companies like Osprey, REI we'd have much better gear. Infact the Marines consulted with Mystery Ranch for their ILBE and FILBE (still plastic just better built) which puts the Army rucksack to shame.

Last Edited:
I think people get the wrong impression about "milspec" and military issue. Since getting out or ETS'ing in 2018. Most my issued gear stays in storage tubs along with that Modular Sleep System. I used to hike with my ACU rucksack but then discovered REI and Osprey bags which in my opinion are just smarter better built designs. For instance the current issue Rucksack uses a " durable" plastic frame that creeks and shifts weight around too much, not mention can break. The REI and Osprey bags use wire frame for rigidity and have built in hydration bladders, pockets and dividers.

The military use to issue ALICE packs with metal frames, which are highly sought after. Not so much anymore. If the DOD consulted with outdoor companies like Osprey, REI we'd have much better gear. Infact the Marines consulted with Mystery Ranch for their ILBE (still plastic just better built) which puts the Army rucksack to shame.
I offer 2 options here, ether the cold weather mummy bag I was issued was better than the ones you guys got
OR my Neanderthal DNA just kept me warmer

I got cold with my 80s Intermediate Cold Weather Mummy bag without foam pad inside; toasty in my 70s 4 pounds of goose down filled Hirsch Weiss (White Stag) sleeping bag... have not tried the MSS Woodland system I have yet..... the 2000s woodland poncho liner is always welcome for car trips, outdoor events, things like that. But it's notable I was able to stay comfortably warm in the Intermediate Cold bag when I also had a blue foam pad inside and a purple Coleman fleece sleeping bag liner, down to the 40s in a hammock under a tarp :rolleyes:

on Monday of this week, we had a contractor out here, they didn't get here until after dark, in the snow
I was out in a watch cap and Pendleton shirt and was quite comfortable
the contractors were out here in heavy winter jackets and gloves
it could be I'm just better adapted after 8 years in South Dakota

Yeah, I love me my "100% virgin wool" sweater from a thrift store... and my wool-blend longjohns leggings.... recently got an USMC? Army? Waffle fleece top in coyote tan and its pretty warm for me. I have an 80s M65 Parka (tag says Parka, Extreme Cold Weather) with the liner that is just a bigger/taller version of the M65 field jacket liner.... when I wear the parka with the waffle top undershirt, I can be quite toasty. The longjohns are great when worn with BDU pants.... toasty too. Add the wool sweater as a mid layer, and I'm good in the snow on the Cascades.

I got cold with my 80s Intermediate Cold Weather Mummy bag without foam pad inside; toasty in my 70s 4 pounds of goose down filled Hirsch Weiss (White Stag) sleeping bag... have not tried the MSS Woodland system I have yet..... the 2000s woodland poncho liner is always welcome for car trips, outdoor events, things like that. But it's notable I was able to stay comfortably warm in the Intermediate Cold bag when I also had a blue foam pad inside and a purple Coleman fleece sleeping bag liner, down to the 40s in a hammock under a tarp :rolleyes:
every morning now when I let the geese out, it's below freezing up here in the hills above the North Fork of the Lewis
just wear my Crocs in the snow and thermal Long Johns
must just be me

no neighbors to complain about me walking around in my long johns at 7 in the morning

Yeah, I love me my "100% virgin wool" sweater from a thrift store... and my wool-blend longjohns leggings.... recently got an USMC? Army? Waffle fleece top in coyote tan and its pretty warm for me. I have an 80s M65 Parka (tag says Parka, Extreme Cold Weather) with the liner that is just a bigger/taller version of the M65 field jacket liner.... when I wear the parka with the waffle top undershirt, I can be quite toasty. The longjohns are great when worn with BDU pants.... toasty too. Add the wool sweater as a mid layer, and I'm good in the snow on the Cascades.
you should try one of these German Army Wool Sweaters
my original one in EU size 42 must have shrunk, just bought a new one in size 60

If its Coyote tan it's probably USMC. Army has OD green. Both which are really comfy. Which ironically usually went missing often.

On the topic of M65 Parkas I picked up a West German Cold weather Parka years ago that is fleeced lined. Awesome jacket. Heavy but toasty.

Wussies…. in the freezing German winter nights we'd slap on our MOPP4 gear, wrap up in our ponchos, go find an exposed tree root to use as a pillow, and hug our M16A1's tightly until dawn.

:s0118:
US Army officials are saying the Ukraine will go into standby for the Winter, the US Army no longer trains for winter warfare - except the 10 Mountain
the Ukrainian forces live in this winter weather, they have the uniforms and mechanized equipment to not just survive, but advance and win in such weather
the Ukrainians broke through Russian lines today in the NE sector - we will see in the next couple of weeks

Weather conditions in winter 2023 likely will dictate a timeframe in which Ukraine can conduct maneuver warfare and continue its string of operational successes with minimal pauses that would increase the risks of Ukraine losing the initiative. The fall mud season in November hampered maneuver warfare, as ISW previously noted. Both Russia and Ukraine nevertheless continued aggressive offensive and counter-offensive operations throughout this muddy period despite some Western predictions that the mud would suspend operations. As the hard freeze approaches in late December, Ukrainian forces will be again able to exploit the weather conditions. Winter is usually the best season for mechanized warfare in Ukraine whereas spring is the nightmare season for fighting in Ukraine.[ The thaw swells rivers and streams and turns fields into seas of mud. Ukrainian forces likely are preparing to take advantage of frozen terrain to move more easily than they could in the muddy autumn months.

it was in the high teens here last night
forgot to plug the heater tapes in on our waterpipes in the wellhouse - pipes froze
my son and I were out working on this at about 2 in the morning, but we have the winter cloths for it
and we only stayed outside for 30 min
I can not imagine Russian troops living in trenches in this weather without proper clothing or sleeping gear

at least the Ukrainians build warming huts in their trenches

ukraine-trenches-warming hut.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews