JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Facts: I have an HP G60 I bought new originally from Costco some time ago. It has Win 7. The computer died, I bought another parts computer with a damaged screen. I swapped the screen and the Hard Drive to the parts computer. Now 6 months later I suddenly get a WGA error. I contact M$ and they say my Serial is valid and I need to contact HP. HP says out of warranty and we'll be glad to help for a price.

What the heck?!!!! I paid for this; I'm not paying again!

Any idea on how to proceed short of a hacked OS?

It depends on the type of license you got with your copy of Windows. The license most likely purchased was for one computer and not transferable to a second (costs much less). If your "new" motherboard is the same as the broken one the license can be transferred. If it different yu are likely SOL unless somebody knows a hack.

I have begin to hate all OS's with the exception of Linux:

Windows: MS does not know when to stop changing the UI, so you have to relearn everything once you are forced by obsolescence to the next version. Licensing stupidity.They have become the Radio Shack of software, and I'm not talking about the glory days.

MAC: Can't see paying what they want to begin with and then having to hang out with Macheads when you need to figure something out

Android: Google already snoops on you when you use their search engine. How can you trust them when they have the back door to your system.

A WGA error seems like it would be more MS' problem that HP's. There should be a way for MS to get you authorized. OTOH, they really want you to be SOL and forced to upgrade(?) to Win 8.

elsie

The OEM license is tied to the hardware of the original laptop. It may not be transferable to another PC, as 3MTA3 said earlier. When I was building and selling generic PC's and licensed to install MS programs what I installed was more generic and would work on any PC and they were transferable. All you had to do was call MS and tell them you had transferred the license. Then only the new PC was licensed and the old one would give the errors.

HP is not asking you to pay for Windows again, they are asking you to pay for their help since the laptop is out of warranty. Even if you do that you may have to buy a new copy anyway.

I did a Google on the WGA error and came up with pages of help. Without knowing the exact error code I can't give much more help. Searching on the error code may give you some help.

I've been running Win 8.1 for months now (started with the pre-release edition) on my desktop, Win 8 on the Grandsons PC and Win 7 on two of my laptops.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top