JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This last weekend I was down in CA with my brother and he had a Winchester Model 100 in .308. I really liked the look and feel of the rifle but unfortunately was not able to shoot it at the time. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this rifle?
dave

I am just exploring now but tell me about it. Be honest. What are the pros and cons? I hear it comes in both a carbine length and standard. How is the general accuracy, reliability, maintainability, Etc.

had a 284 cal first year production example of this model a while back. They are a good rifle as far as hunting purposes go but I would have to say if you are wanting a target gun it is not the way to go. Never had an issue as far as reliability just the typical grouping on target associated with a semiauto gun made for hunting.

I had a carbine in 308. It was previously owned by a gunsmith. I don't know what all he did to it, I know it was fully glass bedded. the gun was a tack driver with the right load. this one preferred imr4350 & hornady 150gr sst bullets. the magazines are expensive. I believe Winchester had a recall on them. you could call them with your serial # & find out if your gun had been repaired or not. I enjoyed the gun & only got rid of it in a trade so the original owners son, could get it back.

The model 100 recall is on the firing pin. They say some of them have broken and can cause danger/damage. Oly in Salem did one for me at no charge recently. The factory or someone sends the part and some pay for labor.
I haven't bought one yet that had already been done and I've got a few. I like them and they shoot great. Better than I do least.

A certified gunsmith can give a quick look and tell you if the firing pin has been upgraded...or as they say, you can call Winchester and ask them. The Model 100 rifles are awesome performers, well made, and good looking too :cool:

This last weekend I was down in CA with my brother and he had a Winchester Model 100 in .308. I really liked the look and feel of the rifle but unfortunately was not able to shoot it at the time. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this rifle?
dave

:s0155: i shoot one years ago and really liked it! In fact i was able to fill two tags (one buck, one anterless) with one shot from it. I would love to have one again. good luck :cool:

Thanks for all the comments. I may put one on my wish list for the future. I want a semi-auto .308 but do not want to go the "AR" tactical route so I am thinking of the carbine for denser, woods action.

damn good reliable guns

to check for recall, remove magazine, turn rifle upside down, retract bolt. look through opening at underside of the top of reciever. there should be a single punch mark about 1/2" directly rearward of the breech face of the barrel on the underside of the reciever. not all were marked in this fashion but many were.

the other way to tell is the firing pin, it will require disassembly of the bolt, I have a number of the recalled firing pins ( they make good punches and we had thousands of them)

I will try to get a picture up of the firing pin today

damn good reliable guns

to check for recall, remove magazine, turn rifle upside down, retract bolt. look through opening at underside of the top of reciever. there should be a single punch mark about 1/2" directly rearward of the breech face of the barrel on the underside of the reciever. not all were marked in this fashion but many were.

the other way to tell is the firing pin, it will require disassembly of the bolt, I have a number of the recalled firing pins ( they make good punches and we had thousands of them)

I will try to get a picture up of the firing pin today

Thank you. I will send a link to my brother in CA so he can check his gun also.
dave

I got rid of mine after I helped my friend a lomg time gusmith take one down and clean it because it was gunked up. It took both of us to get the pins lined up and working again. They are quality built rifles but after seeing how hard the tear down was I sold mine. I like the good old mauser type rifle for maintenance, especially in the hunting camp. I cant imagine tearing that rifle down in hunting camp. Just my opinion.

James

The one that I have is carbine length. It was my uncles, he passed away, I havnt shot it...But I called on it and it has not had the firing pin recall done on it yet...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top