JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to ask, what is an ISO Winchester Model 100?
Futuristic Winchester battle weapon in Tron?

F1894238-2FF8-4317-927C-82A21D0A78D6.jpeg

Best song from TRON imo:

View: https://youtu.be/AHGvaQMClEo?si=lUobZCH88_JuahHG

Okay, I've got a bit of time to get back into this.

I've owned one Winchester Model 100. It was an early one, SN 1132, made in 1961. It had the early stock with checkering, not pressed in basket weave design like the later ones. People talk about "pre-64 Winchesters" but this doesn't strictly apply to Model 100's (or 88's) because when they were designed, the engineers used the most efficient and least costly methods, not old-timey Winchester levels of work and quality. The "pre-64" Model 100's have nicer stocks and bluing, but the guts inside are basically the same. Except for minor engineering changes they made a few times over the course of production to improve it that had nothing to do with "1964."

My impression of the Model 100, it's a scaled-up .22 rimfire. The trigger guard and the operating slide guide both are put together with sheet metal side rails, not the most robust method of construction. Unlike (for example) the Remington 742, where the internal parts get the full support of the receiver housing.

Rusty gas pistons can be a problem with these, because typical hunter-owners never took them apart for cleaning. Some owners of these things who do keep them clean state that they are good for about 50 rounds before they might need a complete cleaning.

Magazines for both the Model 100 and 88 are a bit like gold. Hard to find and expensive when found. Reproductions are now made, some overseas that aren't as good as originals. I never much liked the magazines on Rem. Model 742's and 760's either but they aren't (as yet) quite as expensive as Win. 100's and 88's.

I've also had a Win. Model 88, the short throw lever action, which I liked a lot better than the 100. My 88 was the common .308 Win., a later production beater gun that had (hard to imagine) been a sniper rifle for a police department. The one I had was very accurate.

Don't buy an 88 or a 100 with a bad barrel. Because basically, they cannot be replaced. I've read that Winchester didn't supply replacement part barrels. If one needed replacing, they replaced it as an assembly with a new receiver.

Somewhere over the years, it was discovered that the Model 100 had a defective firing pin design. A recall went out and I believe it's still in effect. Olin will replace the part, plus I think give you a little money for having a gunsmith change it. Mine had the original pin and I changed it to the new design.

Here is a site with lots of practical information re. Win. Model 100:

The Model 100 that I owned had a kinda weird story about it. It came out of a batch of police seizure guns. I didn't pay much for it and the magazine was missing. It had dried blood and brain splatter on the butt stock, spots which were circled by black Magic Marker for evidentiary purposes, along with a detective's initials and date (just like Lieutenant Tragg in Perry Mason), It didn't affect the way the rifle shot.

Last Edited:
Thank you for the info gmerkt. All good and interesting. My Uncle carried one for deer hunting his entire life. It was a constant work in process, scope on, scope off, ammo jam. I recommended he buy some better ammo and that fixed the jam issues after he confirmed with a gunsmith. In the end, I don't think the 100 is my best option for Western OR hunting. Will likely go with a Browning BLR with iron sites since I can get new for a little more $. Thanks again, BA

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top