JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd clean up the metal, and keep it protected with oil. Remember, the old nickel steel that Winchester used in the day didn't take well to bluing, and you'll find many examples of these guns with no bluing remaining, even though the guns have been well taken care of. The stock is a different story. I'd repair it.

If the break in the stock is a clean break even a titebond wood glue joint will be stronger then the wood. The secret would be the clamping. Also.put masking tape on the edges of the break so no glue gets on the surface of the wood when squeezed out of the joint. If the edges of the break have not been worn the repair should almost disappear.

In my experience a 1907 saddle ring is very collectable. Like Andy described, a gentle cleaning and quality stock repair might surprise you.

Agreed a 1907 Saddle ring is very collectable. BUT value all goes to condition and raity. And this Carbine with a red rust bore broken stock and less then 20% of its finish is not worth as much as a well used post 64 model 94. And while it is old its not rare Winchester was selling the crap out of these in 1907.

Now if it cleans up and if its repaired and it makes it to a shooter grade then its a $300-350 collectable that no collector is going to be interested in.

I have a 1925 Model 1895 30WCF SRC (Saddle Ring Carbine) with a special order rear sight (the sight alone will sell for $125.00) stunningly beautiful wood an excellent bore. Shoots like a new 1925 SRC. But because it was reblued in the 60's (very very professionally I might add) I bought it from a very in the know forum member for $600 Its maybe worth $675 tops.

With Winchester collecting condition and rarity are everything.

IMHO

He's not really interested in value. Was his Dad's rifle and he has since passed. He just wants it to function and look decent. Said that he would even replace the stock and keep the old broken one just because... thanks for all the suggestions on how to get it up and going.

In regards to the serial number...
In my experience with many Winchesters , the serial number is only a clue or guide as to when the receiver was made...often there is a two number date stamp under the barrel near the receiver...and this number / date is for when the rifle was actually assembled....This can be years apart in difference when compared to the serial number.
Andy
Only number on it is right here.

EF308A34-C1EE-4F99-8E64-028DC1759828.jpeg
Also for some reason it looks more yellow and rusted in the picture than what it actually looks like in reality.

After just one quick rub with a little oil.
BB87A0CE-6B30-4576-AD4A-5EF2DA7FE8BD.jpeg D5DD3A11-7F0D-4DBE-B16E-E8832B548CC3.jpeg
It's a huge difference and I checked the ammunition tube. Light surface rust. It's missing the top screw on the receiver that screws into the top of the stock. Lever action is smooth and the crack is repairable. Just not sure if it's better to just get a new stock.
If it didn't have sentimental value I would take it off his hands. Lol

If you want to try to stay period correct for missing screws there is usually somebody parting out an old gun on Ebay. I found a saddle ring off a 1906 to replace the missing one on a rifle I bought, new one is an easy find but I wanted same era so I paid more for an original. Old Winchesters don't have to be museum pieces to be valuable, most are going to show honest wear.

1: The owner should be aware that preservation of this gun as much as possible in its "as found" condition is most important. If he can be convinced, his personal desires and intentions of the moment/near future should be secondary. Any major alteration to the gun will detract from its ever-increasing value. (Contrary to some opinions here, the gun IS eminently collectible). This would not preclude GENTLE lifting of surface rust. Care for the bore would also be in the realm of recommendation. As to the broken stock, only a PROFESSIONAL repair with corresponding attention to procedures/appearances of the period MIGHT be appropriate. Minor part replacement (screws,etc.) is also acceptable with attention to EXACT duplication. (Screws can be "aged" to match the gun's condition and if the part is of original manufacture this is most normally not considered counterfeiting). The point here is that we are all merely "caretakers" of such pieces of history. The owner should be encouraged to consider the interests of future owners (especially children and grandchildren) over his own. Respect for this artifact of American history (itself alone) is another factor worthy of great consideration.

2: The rear sight is not original, but contrary to appraisal generalizations, replacement of the carbine sight was a very frequent modification especially for a hunting rifle (as opposed to a "working" rifle), and this modification does not detract a very large amount from the gun. (An original saddle ring carbine sight might cost $200 or more but might not add that exact amount to overall value). What is VERY attractive about this gun is that the original saddle ring is extant. Another nearly universal modification to these guns (if to be used for hunting) was to remove the ring so it would not rattle in the woods.

3: Yes, condition is everything. But that works BOTH ways. "Honest" guns (showing an existence of hard regular use) are quite desirable. There are collectors who will have nothing else. Coming across a "minty" gun, they might only hold it long enough to find a collector of more pristine interests, and turn it around for a price that allows purchase of two or three guns showing the well-earned noble scars of a firearm that saw it all.

Gently get the rust off it, save the bore from further deterioration and cherish it. Not for oneself, but for posterity and respect for an original artifact uncovered. I consider myself privileged to have seen it.

Post Script (directed cheerfully at Mark W.). I'll buy a BOXCAR full of these at your appraisal price of $350 and build the railroad spur to my house to deliver 'em.

Last Edited:
15508790918401876370367.jpg . Its a little rough, but is a saddle ring 25/35 that still has its ring. It was found in foundation of old house being torn down. Can't read the numbers unfortunately.

1: The owner should be aware that preservation of this gun as much as possible in its "as found" condition is most important. If he can be convinced, his personal desires and intentions of the moment/near future should be secondary. Any major alteration to the gun will detract from its ever-increasing value. (Contrary to some opinions here, the gun IS eminently collectible). This would not preclude GENTLE lifting of surface rust. Care for the bore would also be in the realm of recommendation. As to the broken stock, only a PROFESSIONAL repair with corresponding attention to procedures/appearances of the period MIGHT be appropriate. Minor part replacement (screws,etc.) is also acceptable with attention to EXACT duplication. (Screws can be "aged" to match the gun's condition and if the part is of original manufacture this is most normally not considered counterfeiting). The point here is that we are all merely "caretakers" of such pieces of history. The owner should be encouraged to consider the interests of future owners (especially children and grandchildren) over his own. Respect for this artifact of American history (itself alone) is another factor worthy of great consideration.

2: The rear sight is not original, but contrary to appraisal generalizations, replacement of the carbine sight was a very frequent modification especially for a hunting rifle (as opposed to a "working" rifle), and this modification does not detract a very large amount from the gun. (An original saddle ring carbine sight might cost $200 or more but might not add that exact amount to overall value). What is VERY attractive about this gun is that the original saddle ring is extant. Another nearly universal modification to these guns (if to be used for hunting) was to remove the ring so it would not rattle in the woods.

3: Yes, condition is everything. But that works BOTH ways. "Honest" guns (showing an existence of hard regular use) are quite desirable. There are collectors who will have nothing else. Coming across a "minty" gun, they might only hold it long enough to find a collector of more pristine interests, and turn it around for a price that allows purchase of two or three guns showing the well-earned noble scars of a firearm that saw it all.

Gently get the rust off it, save the bore from further deterioration and cherish it. Not for oneself, but for posterity and respect for an original artifact uncovered. I consider myself privileged to have seen it.

Post Script (directed cheerfully at Mark W.). I'll buy a BOXCAR full of these at your appraisal price of $350 and build the railroad spur to my house to deliver 'em.
It's truly amazing in real life. The photos don't do it any justice! I got goosebumps from checking the magazine tube and even more when I watched the action open and then close!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top