JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Winchester 1894 made in 1899 according to the serial number. Mine has been modified with a MontiCarlo style but stock that I would like replace with an original version. Does anyone know where I might find one?
Thanks.
New to Northwest
If you send George at Treebone Carving your serial number I'm sure he can provide you the exact stock you want. He has patterns for just about every variation of lever gun and single shot rifle from 1860 to now, and he's an expert. He's the only person I found during 2 years of research into my rolling block that knew that the relatively rare 1870's Remington #1 sporting rifle receiver was slightly narrower than the ubiquitous military receivers, and the tangs were different, and he had a pattern for it. He does them in everything from exotic woods to plain jane walnut.

If you send George at Treebone Carving your serial number I'm sure he can provide you the exact stock you want. He has patterns for just about every variation of lever gun and single shot rifle from 1860 to now, and he's an expert. He's the only person I found during 2 years of research into my rolling block that knew that the relatively rare 1870's Remington #1 sporting rifle receiver was slightly narrower than the ubiquitous military receivers, and the tangs were different, and he had a pattern for it. He does them in everything from exotic woods to plain jane walnut.
I would like to hear more about your Remington.
I was heartbroken that my dads 50-70 developed a crack at some point.
Almost perfect bore...

I would like to hear more about your Remington.
I was heartbroken that my dads 50-70 developed a crack at some point.
Almost perfect bore...
My great grandfather bought it new and took it up the Rosebud River on a steamboat around the time Custer met his demise. It was a .38 Long rimfire. It came home to Ohio along with a pair of buffalo horns and a Sioux headdress. I have the buffalo horns, but have never seen the headdress. At some point about 1910 it went through a cabin fire. The finish was destroyed, the forearm burned away, and the butt stock scorched to charcoal on one side. Then sometime between 1910 and 1970 someone stripped all of the remaining finish down to bare metal. Over the years the bore deteriorated to the point where it looked like a sewer pipe on the inside. I received it in that condition about 1980. I did lots of research over the next 20 years, and finally hired Jim Dubell, a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild, to restore it.

He draw filed all of the exterior metal surfaces to sharpen the rounded corners, but he preserved all of the stampings. He did a professional conversion to centerfire from rimfire, manufacturing a new, high pressure firing pin, and relocating it to the center of the breech block. He put a .357 caliber liner in the old barrel, and rechamsbered it for .357 mag so we could preserve the full octagon, tapered elegance. He re-blued, case colored, and heat treated all of the metal. We got replacement wood from Treebone Carving, and Jim fitted it and finished it with hand rubbed tung oil. George at Treebone also had a new end cap for the forestock for $20. The work took 18 months and just under $3K.

It sounds like it's suppressed with .38 spc in the 28" barrel, and with .357 mag, 158 gr. RNL delivers 1800 fps muzzle velocity.

My eyes were too old to use the original buckhorn open sights, so I bought a period scope for it, and I got Tim Copeland to drill and tap the barrel for it.

RollingBlock - 1.jpeg

Last Edited:
I have a Winchester 1894 made in 1899 according to the serial number. Mine has been modified with a MontiCarlo style but stock that I would like replace with an original version. Does anyone know where I might find one?
Thanks.
New to Northwest
Have you had any luck finding a new buttstock? I have one in rough shape posted on the classifieds here you can have. Just pay shipping and it's yours.

Thanks for the tip. Sorry to be so long to respond I retired and now I don't have time to slow down.
Have you had any luck finding a new buttstock? I have one in rough shape posted on the classifieds here you can have. Just pay shipping and it's yours.
How rough? Some character doesn't bother me. I would be glad to compensate you for it.
[email protected]

That butt is just screaming quietly for a good rubbin' with some good oil. It would be beautiful!

My 1894 Winchester round barrel 25 35 i bought over 20 years ago serial #97xxx made in 1900 was a very well used no bluing left and shortend mag tube and homemade stock but had a good bore. had no trouble ringing the 200 yd. gong. i have upgraded it over the last several years 2 years ago i bought period correct wood for it last year i bought a new /old mag tube, this year i bought a new/old 26" 25 35 octagon barrel. all parts bought on e bay. it is at the gunsmith now getting the barrel switched. should be home in about 2 weeks. i just need to get the correct forend and cap for octagon barrel.

How rough? Some character doesn't bother me. I would be glad to compensate you for it.
[email protected]
There are pictures in the ad I linked above. If you want more let me know, doesn't look like it would be original due to the shotgun butt.
That butt is just screaming quietly for a good rubbin' with some good oil. It would be beautiful!
Giggity. You are begging to be quoted in that one thread!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top