JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Please continue, I for one would like to hear more about the lion attack, as my wife's cousin had the same thing happen to him this deer season in Eastern Oregon.
He was sitting on a log looking across a meadow when he caught some movement out of the corner of his eye and when he turned his head he saw a male lion all bunched up ready to jump him from only 15' away.
He got the same shot off like you did, but he jumped up and ran away yelling his head off.
He stopped after 100' and after loading another round he went back and found him dead.

After running into that cat I started doing alot of reading about Oregons cougar problem. Right now ODFW estimates the population is around 7000. I dont hold much faith in ODFW or whatever info they put out. After speaking with a biologist I found out the Alsea unit has the highest cougar population in the state around 1000. Oregon really needs to address this problem. I really hope in the near future we can hunt them with dogs again. I have completely changed the way I hunt. You will never find me standing still on the ground again, and if im not moving im in a tree. I usually always hunt by myself but now im a firm believer you need a hunting partner. When I heard about that hunter that went missing in Oregon this year the first thing I thought was he most likely ran into a cat. I hope im wrong but i doubt it.

Yes I did. That was a bad day for me. My first day ever hunting over on this side of the state. I was hunting on a hill side just sitting and watching. I heard a log fall and roll behind me and when i looked this cat was about 10 ft behind me looking down at me. She knew i saw her and she jumped down right next to me. I hip fired with my 7mm and hit her in the side. I couldnt work the bolt on my gun because of my adrenaline so I pulled my glock and emptied it. She went down under 15 yrds from me. I only hit her with 3 rnds.
Ha! Right on. Hey, if you hit the "reply" button it will hold within that posted frame what you are replying about (some things aren't so linear) and also notifies the asker that you have replied.
anyway, cool!
Oh, and I'm the guy that started the infamous "Mountain Lion Defensive Pistol" thread.. it's a hoot. lol

Ha! Right on. Hey, if you hit the "reply" button it will hold within that posted frame what you are replying about (some things aren't so linear) and also notifies the asker that you have replied.
anyway, cool!
Oh, and I'm the guy that started the infamous "Mountain Lion Defensive Pistol" thread.. it's a hoot. lol
Right on. Im going to check it out now

I have to say that if I were going out in those Woods, I'd be packing my pre-29 Smith and Wesson, .44 Magnum in addition to whatever I was Hunting with.

I have to say that if I were going out in those Woods, I'd be packing my pre-29 Smith and Wesson, .44 Magnum in addition to whatever I was Hunting with.
I love the .44 mag. Im not man enough to carry it during hunting way too much weight for me. I tried it during one bow season, and that will never happen again lol

If i could find a good thigh rig for a revolver i might give it a go.
I have a Hoyt Front Break that is a Hi-Ride but is Super Quick to draw from. I've used it for many years.

My .44 is the "Dirty Harry Special" with a 6-1/2" Barrel but comes out of the Hoyt Very fast.

Last Edited:
Congratulations on your 1200!!! That's my favorite shotgun I've ever owned. Mine was as slick as silk, you could rack it with a thumb and little finger! Gosh, I wonder how many ducks it killed!
I don't care for duck, and obviously I'm not going to kill them to go to waste. Enter the Asian family that ran the local mom and pop grocery. They would see me coming and give me an extra big smile. Guy told me once, "I raised my kids on your ducks!" Not much of an exaguration! :D
No advice here because I agree with the guys above, just slow and easy. Enjoy your scatter gun!

So you fired 14 rounds of .40S&W at the cat, hit it with three, two of which (shoulder and hip) are hardly a killing shot, yet the animal is dead and the caliber is no good?? Hmmmm...

That was the begining and end of my deer season. I lost all hope for the .40 short and weak after that. One of my .40 rounds hit her in the shoulder and the other in the hip and not one punched through. Thats why its a 357 sig now. I will be getting a 10mm shortly
I guess I don't understand what you are saying. Did you shoot the cat with a .40 S&W or the .357 Sig.? I'd have to say that if you hit the cat with three rounds you did much better than the average Shooter under the circumstances.

I guess I don't understand what you are saying. Did you shoot the cat with a .40 S&W or the .357 Sig.? I'd have to say that if you hit the cat with three rounds you did much better than the average Shooter under the circumstances.
I hit her once with my 7mm right in the side then three times with my glock 23. The 7mm turned her guts to gell. I found 2 of the three .40 S&W rounds. One was flat under the skin that hit her in the hip. The other was flat just under the skin at the right shoulder. Not one .40 round punched through the bone. The third round hit her in the shin but it just nicked the edge of the bone. I later swapped out the barrel of the glock 23 and put in a kkm 357 sig barrel. If I had not hit her with the first round 7mm i would not of dropped her.

So you fired 14 rounds of .40S&W at the cat, hit it with three, two of which (shoulder and hip) are hardly a killing shot, yet the animal is dead and the caliber is no good?? Hmmmm...
Good luck getting a kill shot on a moving cat. I did not have the best ammo in my .40 but i thought at that distance I should of had no problem punching through the bone, but I did. If you are 100% sure the .40 is a good round to carry in the woods then carry it. I no longer am confident in the round so I will no longer carry it.

20171125_191022_001.jpg this is what the .40 S&W looked like.

I had a very different experience with a G23 once with GDHP about 10 years ago. It worked swell.
I am sure you have. Some things you just cant explain. I have watched a friend make a perfect shot on a deer with a 308 and I watched it run over a 100 yards. I also know someone who did a perfect Texas heart shot on a black bear with a 9mm and it didn't go ten yards. What I did learn is im not going to get a perfect shot in that kind of situation. I need to carry the biggest gun that I can shoot well and that is definitely not a .40.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews