JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have this Winchester model 94 30-30. Manufactured in 1956. It has some issues. Curious on value or possibility of fixing.

It's the one in the left with the peep sight. Someone hand engraved this number on both sides. Also booger welded the dovetail sight mount. Why anyone would do this is beyond me.

Otherwise great gun. Shoots well. Pre64. Peep sight works fine.

Curious on value as is, and if anyone knows someone who may be able to fix the sight issue?

IMG_2661.jpeg IMG_2662.jpeg IMG_2660.jpeg IMG_2663.jpeg IMG_2659.jpeg

To 'fix' the sight issue is going to require a new barrel.

That weld is so porous and bad a new dovetail could not effectively be cut. Even if it could it would require polishing and touching up with blue which would still be noticeable. Although it shoots well, who knows how deep the weld went. Very unfortunate.

The number on the frame you might have to leave. While unfortunate as well it is not affecting the function.

Last Edited:
To 'fix' the sight issue is going to require a new barrel.

That weld is so porous and bad a new dovetail could not effectively be cut. Even if it could it would require polishing and touching up with blue which would still be noticeable. Although it shoots well, who knows how deep the weld went. Very unfortunate.

The number on the frame you might have to leave. While unfortunate as well it is not affecting the function.
Thank you for the information. It is what I was assuming. It is unfortunate but luckily the gun does shoot and function well.

Any idea on a value? I am trying to consolidate. I might try and sell it.

That modern rubber butt-pad won't help the value either.

I have a "shooter grade" Win-94 30-30 made in '47 or '48…. It's a family heirloom (everyone always thought it was a 19th century manufacture until I researched the serial number… LOL), but I have no idea of the value.

Cryin' shame, the wood on that rifle has (had) a nice grain pattern, too!
Yeah it's got a few things going (wrong) for it. It's a good shooter. Working parts are in great shape. But I agree. The other 2 are family items. Other 2 are early 1940s in great shape and 1924 in good shape with wear on the bluing. Those I'm keeping. I just don't need a third

Easily repaired by any competent gunsmith that can Tig weld. I've welded up an blended numerous DL numbers. Barrel can be fixed too. Porous welds don't mean anything. Machine that out, weld , anneal an re cut if needed. Plug screws weld over an blend. Then heat the welded areas to blend an stress relief before re blue. Cost you about 2x what buying a nice pre 64 will get you. But it's doable.

Purists get upset about the issues you describe. To others, all that matters is how well the gun hits what you are aiming at. It might not bring as much as a "correct" specimen, but last time I checked they aren't worth a whole lot of money anyway. I inherited a boogerred up pre-64 model '94 years back, and when I got over the sentimental family heirloom aspect of the thing, I decided to sell it as I don't like lever guns. A gunsmith told me the amateur sight work would reduce the value 10% below that of a "correct" specimen. He acted like this was some kind of a big deal. But since we were only talking about a $450 gun (at the time), I was like, "$45 is not exactly a significant amount of money."

That said, I took it to a gun shop a few years ago and put it up on consignment. Used Model '94s were selling for about $475. Mine sold for $450. I have no idea what the going price is today, but my advice would be to take it in to a LGS that takes consignments (you could try 2 or 3) and ask them what they think it would bring. You are under no obligation to leave it there. JMHO. :s0092:

Purists get upset about the issues you describe. To others, all that matters is how well the gun hits what you are aiming at. It might not bring as much as a "correct" specimen, but last time I checked they aren't worth a whole lot of money anyway. I inherited a boogerred up pre-64 model '94 years back, and when I got over the sentimental family heirloom aspect of the thing, I decided to sell it as I don't like lever guns. A gunsmith told me the amateur sight work would reduce the value 10% below that of a "correct" specimen. He acted like this was some kind of a big deal. But since we were only talking about a $450 gun (at the time), I was like, "$45 is not exactly a significant amount of money."

That said, I took it to a gun shop a few years ago and put it up on consignment. Used Model '94s were selling for about $475. Mine sold for $450. I have no idea what the going price is today, but my advice would be to take it in to a LGS that takes consignments (you could try 2 or 3) and ask them what they think it would bring. You are under no obligation to leave it there. JMHO. :s0092:
Good ideas. What LGS around here Portland to Salem sell on consignment?

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top