JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The question begs to be asked; has it always been this way? and are we just realizing it now?
If so, if people knew this. I know they're working hard to indoctrinate people into excepting living like this in this country but there are those of us who don't and will not and I guess that's one of the reasons why we are the ones they're targeting.

When things are close you need to step back and get a bigger picture. When things are happening far away you need to get a closer look. The real answer is in a question, "who really is they?"
I don't worry much about who "they is" - maybe more about "what" they are, than who.

There are multiple levels:

1) Useful idiots - the public who supports them
2) Bureaucrats who run the show. May or may not have a clue, but don't really care about the bigger picture, only their own little fiefdom.
3) Politicians who set the rules/etc. for what is desired. The key here is not to mistake malice for incompetence - the real thing to think about is what is the results? Do the results benefit the opposition? "They" do not care about crime or safety, not in the sense "they" say they do - they want crime and chaos because it works to their benefit - "they" can then pass more laws that give them more power and take power away from the populace.
4) The unofficial and often unseen "they" that have power/influence and $, but may or may not have official power (governmental office).

The question begs to be asked; has it always been this way? and are we just realizing it now?
Yes. Humans have always been humans. Ever since we started having groups with leaders, it has always been thus, in some fashion or another. As we evolve as a civilization/government/society, the game gets more sophisticated, but it is the same game with the same goals - control and power.

Which is complete and utter bovine fecal matter. States cannot override federal law and it is the NFA that requires a tax stamp and registration of "cans", not state law. At best this is just a feel good law, at worst someone will actually believe it and do time in a federal "pound me in the anal orifice" prison.
Maybe. If Texas really is gearing up to fight the NFA on this one, I imagine that they're looking to take the NFA to the Supreme Court to argue that cans made in Texas, sold in Texas to Texans, and which reside in Texas, are not the purview of the federal government as they're not engaging in interstate commerce.

I'd hope that the state has the decency to pay for poor Joe Dirt's legal fees while this goes up the chain.

Maybe. If Texas really is gearing up to fight the NFA on this one, I imagine that they're looking to take the NFA to the Supreme Court to argue that cans made in Texas, sold in Texas to Texans, and which reside in Texas, are not the purview of the federal government as they're not engaging in interstate commerce.

I'd hope that the state has the decency to pay for poor Joe Dirt's legal fees while this goes up the chain.
They can try - I would not want to be the person who was the test case.

Kansas tried, and lost. It is rare that the SCOTUS sides with states/individuals when it comes to the "commerce clause".

I had not thought about that. Guess I should get some cans while I can (pun intended).
Sort of my thinking, invest heavily in them now.

I figure some politician started looking at them, poking around for information, found the numbers from the last 5 years and likely pooped his/her pants. Hence why they are getting so much attention lately.

I predict a Hughes Style amendment added last minute to a federal gun bill, or a drastic increase to the tax stamps cost. $200 simply isn't much of a deterrent in 2021, if they raised it to match inflation it would drastically decrease the amount of folks willing to navigate the process. Imagine having to pay $2000 to transfer or make a NFA regulated item?

If so, if people knew this. I know they're working hard to indoctrinate people into excepting living like this in this country but there are those of us who don't and will not and I guess that's one of the reasons why we are the ones they're targeting.
Yes.

Most here only look at government through the narrow lens of the 2nd Amendment. When you open up both eyes and take a look at other aspects of everyday life, you'll realize that governments and societies have been doing this for as long as humans have existed.

Besides, one thing that never really gets discussed is that these items are still perfectly legal to own. The systems work. Yes government has further regulated them, but they did not outright ban them. They could have, but counter systems within our current government don't specifically allow for that to take place. Even if certain politicians believe they can, really they can't. Guns are an extremely divided subject in the USA, each side has a heft to its weight. Politicians don't exactly want to overly piss off one huge side to please the other huge side.

How's all that marijuana business work?
The feds can and do still bust people for selling pot.

The feds have backed away from enforcing those laws because the laws are unpopular and the benefits to those in power are slacking off. But feds, bureaucrats and politicians - their power is threatened by civilians having guns, and they are doing their best to control them - it will take some time, but when it comes to states trying to override the NFA, they won't tolerate that. They didn't in Kansas.

Considering it's an actual registry, it makes sense they'd start there. It also makes sense that if a person is willing to jump through all those hoops and pay a gob of cash, they're not the type to have illegal guns, so they'll instead be last? Easy to just come get them later. Harder to get Joe schmoes closet bump stock/brace/solvent trap/80%, etc once word gets out

Why do the want braces regulated as NFA items? Why are they going after 80% receivers? Both are barely used in crime. Why did they change the 4473 to make it easier for ATF to circumvent paper documents?
It is a pretty simple history lesson: Tracking to Registration to Confiscation. Everyone who has mandated registration has eventually used this information for confiscation. Thinking it won't happen here is to ignore history and human nature. That which we ignore, we are doomed to repeat. You'd think we'd learn this by now. We have seen it repeated over and over in Germany, Russia, UK, Australia and more... We are seeing it in our own states thanks to red flag laws. What makes anyone think that those who have an agenda won't open the next book with a list of names, and the next..? "But it will be worked out in the court." Is this the same court that has been selling us down the river for years?

@Hueco

Which way did you go for your purchase/trust setup? Can and Cal?

I've been researching a bit in the last week or so, about to make the leap.
@Reno is the guy to talk with about cans. On his advice, I jumped into the NFA pool with a Dead Air Mask 22, Silencer Shop using MK Tactical in Hillsboro (super cool guy that owns the place - incredibly helpful and nice), set up as a One Shot Trust. I figure I'll add my wife onto it at first opportunity and it seemed easier than going with a single trust for all NFA Items.

I'm not sure if that was a good or bad decision...I just want these things to be easily transferred into her possession in the event of my untimely demise.

I'm looking to pick up a 9mm and .223 can next, likely in that order. I very much want the CMMG 9mm conversion and, by the time I save up the scratch for that one, the can should be here :D.

I was thinking of doing the same. Went into MK last week to sell a lower and pickup my M&P 2.0 since Lucky's has been out of service.

Was happy to see them on the silencer shop list! I'm thinking I'll start with a 5.56, but am really interested in having the option of using it on my 10/22 with the same threading. From what I've read, it should run great, although it might make it a bit dirty and I wouldn't put many through it that way. Just would like the option.

I'll ask Reno as well, thanks!

#westsidesquad

I was thinking of doing the same. Went into MK last week to sell a lower and pickup my M&P 2.0 since Lucky's has been out of service.

Was happy to see them on the silencer shop list! I'm thinking I'll start with a 5.56, but am really interested in having the option of using it on my 10/22 with the same threading. From what I've read, it should run great, although it might make it a bit dirty and I wouldn't put many through it that way. Just would like the option.

I'll ask Reno as well, thanks!

#westsidesquad
Make sure it's user serviceable (is the advice I've heard for using .223 cans for .22LR).

I went with the .22LR because I have a slight obsession with .22's :D and I wanted the ability to go plink with my wife without worrying about ear pro. I built up a CZ457 that I cannot wait to shoot subs out of with the can.

@Reno is the guy to talk with about cans. On his advice, I jumped into the NFA pool with a Dead Air Mask 22, Silencer Shop using MK Tactical in Hillsboro (super cool guy that owns the place - incredibly helpful and nice), set up as a One Shot Trust. I figure I'll add my wife onto it at first opportunity and it seemed easier than going with a single trust for all NFA Items.

I'm not sure if that was a good or bad decision...I just want these things to be easily transferred into her possession in the event of my untimely demise.

I'm looking to pick up a 9mm and .223 can next, likely in that order. I very much want the CMMG 9mm conversion and, by the time I save up the scratch for that one, the can should be here :D.
Though I don't necessarily need another, this might be my next if they do another 25% off sale.

Ill drill it to 9mm. The big one I've got is silly quiet on my bolty 9mm and sounds decent on 556/300blk/308 as well. It's stupid heavy for 22, but it's quiet on that too.

The linked kit is basically the K version of the one I've already done, which means it should be a nice multi caliber can that unlike the 2 R9s that are currently in jail, is user serviceable. I imagine loosing a few baffles won't hurt it on 9mm. They even have a YHM front cap now so I can use all the devices I bought for my Turbo.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top