JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Caught a short trailcam vid of this heron grabbing this thing. That's why it's kind of blurry. I'm guessing giant salamander, although I've never actually ran across one?

E8A09E57-F353-427C-8C94-3E55ACDDB0D0.png
404F95CE-122E-4CA9-80B0-AA4418601020.png

Was not too far behind a herd of javelina. Was a pretty small javelina with the group. Would be a tough meal to harvest and chew. Javelina is the toughest game I've ever tried to eat. Even the backstrap and tenderloin had good flavor. Guy could wear out a set of store-bought teeth eating them regularly.

IMG_20240404_114043635.jpg

Old timer raised a coyote from a pup. Kept it on the ranch till it bit him where his wallet should have been.

We raised coyote pups with hand feeding till they got aggressive. Back in the day a pair of ears brought two dollars. Maybe if we'd separated them as they demonstrated aggression towards each other.

Tried raising magpies because I was told they could be taught to talk. No success in raising scavengers. Other attempts with different species such as a squirrel and rabbit didn't work. Hard lessons about life and death were learned early. Didn't make me callous, just imparted wisdom about the innate powers beyond human control.

Not sure what's gonna happen. Woke up this morning ready to be the bad guy and cut it loose. Let nature take its course. Wife wants to try to feed it for awhile until it gets bigger, you know, give it a fighting chance.

How about a baby rabbit my cat brought home tonight. Hard to convince the kids to let it go because I'm thinking it won't last long. Am I wrong?

View attachment 1857852
Not sure what's gonna happen. Woke up this morning ready to be the bad guy and cut it loose. Let nature take its course. Wife wants to try to feed it for awhile until it gets bigger, you know, give it a fighting chance.
Best bet would be to try to find the warren from whence the cat nabbed it, and return it. The doe will take it back. It's not going to do well on its own in captivity at that age without the doe. My ex is huge into rabbits, and I've learned a thing or two about them in 20-odd years of watching her deal with them...

ETA:
Spoke with the ex... judging from the size of the bunny (I sent her the pic), she thinks it's old enough to be returned, even if you can't find the warren. She thinks it's large enough that it has been eating things on his own, and that's probably why he was nabbed by Kitty - he had ventured far enough away from the warren that he got caught. The general rule is that if they (wild cottontails) are bigger than a tennis ball, they are self-sufficient. Wild cottontail does have 3-4 litters year, so they kick 'em out of the house pretty soon. She said they get self-sufficient really early, but they're still not wary enough, so they get caught. This bunny will likely not get caught by a cat again, having had it happen once already. Not to say it won't get nabbed by an owl or hawk, but unlikely that a cat will get it again...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads