JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wisconsin Wolves Kill 29 Pets & Counting, Hunting Dog Death Toll Piles Up
Published on Wednesday, October 08, 2014
Picture removed for gore
Walker Hound Killed By Wolves
ammoland-logo-225x56.jpg?4a8a14
AmmoLand Gun News
MADISON, WI --(Ammoland.com)- On October 4 2104, Wisconsin Wildlife Services confirmed that wolves killed a 6 year old Plott bear hound. The attack occurred in the Town of Minocqua, Oneida County. More information and a caution area map are available on the gray wolf webpage.
On October 5 2014, Wildlife Services confirmed that wolves killed a 6 year old Plott bear hound. The attack occurred in the Town of Little Rice, Oneida County. More information and a caution area map are available on the gray wolf webpage.
When asked about the reintroduction of wolves one Oneida County resident did not mince words;
"People with no idea about nature, that have never been in the woods, insisted on releasing these wolves here and now look." "We have both wolves and our pet dogs both being killed and injured" "When wolves run through our back yards, who is watching out for our children, not the state, not the animal righters, not Fish and Game. Its all on the people that live here."
Hunters are reminded to use the caution area maps on the DNR website (dnr.wi.gov, keyword "wolf management") to help reduce conflicts during this year's bear dog training and hunting season.
Hunters should use the caution area maps linked here, to help reduce conflicts during this year's bear dog training and hunting

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2014/10/wisconsin-wolves-kill-29-pets-counting/#ixzz3Fac6EtgC
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

I have a favorite memory of when my father invited a business associate (and spouse) from a large eastern city to spend a spring weekend with us at our cottage in the pine forests of Northwestern Ontario (near Kenora). They had NEVER been away from a city and (I swear to God this is a true story) they actually bought some baskets to pick apples!....It's the spawn of people like that who make/vote for wildlife and forest policy now.
Wolves are just un-housetrained labradoodles to them.

Don't get me started on the their; outhouse adventure...15 miles to a phone panic...the woodstove won't turn on, surprise...the "run-to-the-lake-with-a-bucket" running water system awakening.

Last Edited:
Wisconsin Wolves Kill 29 Pets & Counting, Hunting Dog Death Toll Piles Up
Published on Wednesday, October 08, 2014
Picture removed for gore
Walker Hound Killed By Wolves
View attachment 107066
AmmoLand Gun News
MADISON, WI --(Ammoland.com)- On October 4 2104, Wisconsin Wildlife Services confirmed that wolves killed a 6 year old Plott bear hound. The attack occurred in the Town of Minocqua, Oneida County. More information and a caution area map are available on the gray wolf webpage.
On October 5 2014, Wildlife Services confirmed that wolves killed a 6 year old Plott bear hound. The attack occurred in the Town of Little Rice, Oneida County. More information and a caution area map are available on the gray wolf webpage.
When asked about the reintroduction of wolves one Oneida County resident did not mince words;
"People with no idea about nature, that have never been in the woods, insisted on releasing these wolves here and now look." "We have both wolves and our pet dogs both being killed and injured" "When wolves run through our back yards, who is watching out for our children, not the state, not the animal righters, not Fish and Game. Its all on the people that live here."
Hunters are reminded to use the caution area maps on the DNR website (dnr.wi.gov, keyword "wolf management") to help reduce conflicts during this year's bear dog training and hunting season.
Hunters should use the caution area maps linked here, to help reduce conflicts during this year's bear dog training and hunting

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2014/10/wisconsin-wolves-kill-29-pets-counting/#ixzz3Fac6EtgC
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook
I don't believe a word of this anti wolf article. Just a bunch of bs

When wolves are no more afraid than too go into someones backyard to kill a family pet to me the wolf has crossed the line. There is a major differemce between predation in national forest and backyards. The wolves in that town need to leave one way or another if the story is factual.

I don't believe a word of this anti wolf article. Just a bunch of bs
Well around Idaho they do t seem to keep totals but there have been a number of times that wolves have killed a pack...not just one... of hounds.
The dogs are competition for food to the wolves so they kill them.
Crud,coyotes kill domestic pets,you can bet a wolf would if he was hungry. It's easy pray

Coyotes, cougars, bears, and where present, wolves, will kill other animals including pets.

Drive around my mountain and you will see every other telephone pole with a poster of a missing cat or foo-foo dog. Sorry pet owner, this is the "wild" and your beloved pet was a breakfast for some cougar or bear and her cubs.

On the other hand - our pet cats (my daughter has nine) have killed millions of wild birds. Pet dogs kill other pet dogs, pet cats, wild animals, etc., in the thousands if not millions. My neighbors dog is known to have killed the pet rabbits and chickens of other neighbors.

Domestic pet dogs kill humans too. Millions of humans (about 5 million per year) are bitten or attacked by pet dogs, and about 20 to 30 of those result in death each year. Feral dogs are an even worse problem.

When was the last time a wild wolf (not one kept as a "pet" or in a zoo or sanctuary) killed a human?

Maybe we should go out and hunt all domestic dogs and kill them? :rolleyes:

The idea of killing wild predators because they might be a danger to humans is an emotional and stupid response to the fact that there are predators in the wild and that we are increasingly encroaching on their habitat. Learn to live with them. Learn the facts - those canines we keep in our homes are statistically a lot more dangerous than a few wolves in the wild, and the wolves benefit the ecosystem (look what they have done for Yellowstone Wolf Reintroduction Changes Ecosystem ).

Well, Yellowstone is a closed system. My buddy got a hunting tag a few years ago for a guided hunt on an area just outside the boundaries of the park. The wolves were there, but the elk were gone. Inside the park they are going to reach a stage where the same thing will happen since elk are the main food source for the wolves... the pack will grow and the elk herds will shrink. Then the carrion eaters will be reduced etc. But I guess the beavers will be happy. And the park managers will be blowing up the beaver dams to protect fish migration in the streams and rivers. It will still take awhile for the park ecosystem to rebalance itself after the wolf reintroduction. Who is to say whether the eventual outcome is desirable. The biologists are like weathermen, they are just guessing.

The park is only a "closed system" in that in general, hunting is not allowed there.

"Sports hunters" in the USA tend to only have a very narrow view of the eco-system; i.e., anything that hurts their chances of hunting elk, deer, or "game animal" is bad, and anything that helps (by increasing those numbers) is good. To hell with the rest of the system as long as they have something to hunt, so eradicate any predator that competes with them is the general policy, and find any excuse to do so, no matter how small.

I don't hunt anymore due to health problems, but I like to hunt as much as the next person, but I also like the wild to be wild, and the ecosystem to be balanced in favor of the overall system, not in favor of hunting. I don't mind competing with native predators that were there before humans got here, or more correctly, before humans from europe got here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top