JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait...What?? o_O Flintlocks were long???....
....and here I thought they only looked long, because the forefathery, pioneerish guys shootin' 'em were just kinda short!

live and learn, live and learn.

Is the little one in the center the type that it is loaded by unscrewing the barrel? Just curious. :)
That one of mine..is not...just made to look that way.
( Its a Belgian pistol circa 1840-1860 )
This one of mine is :
Joseph Barbor pistol circa 1760-1770
Andy
DSC03431.jpg

DSC03436.jpg

Andy,very nice collection of rifles you have there but when I compare them to the ones I have,it seems that all of yours have the locks on the wrong side for some reason!:D

Andy,very nice collection of rifles you have there but when I compare them to the ones I have,it seems that all of yours have the locks on the wrong side for some reason!:D
Yeah...Original ( antique) left handed firearms are few and far between...I should get one for my display of originals...but one just hasn't shown up yet...:D

Darn you Andy now I have to wash my monitor screen again I've got drool all over it! :s0074:
Gabby

That's why I offer a oily rag when I have a display...:D
Andy

April 12th and 13th I will be at the Hawken Shop in Oak Harbor with a smallish display of rifles and "Mountain man" gear...maybe even a Bow or two...
Also will be at the Skagit Muzzleloaders Rendezvous May 17th-19th with a larger display...
Andy

You are welcome slidecreek...:D
If you haven't seen these pictures before..they are kinda neat if I say so myself.
Andy
View attachment 560865

View attachment 560866

View attachment 560867

View attachment 560868
You are welcome slidecreek...:D
If you haven't seen these pictures before..they are kinda neat if I say so myself.
Andy
View attachment 560865

View attachment 560866

View attachment 560867

View attachment 560868
Wow Andy, very, very impressive I thank you for sharing.

A few years back, when I was still using my OEM knees, I used to shoot my flintlock a fair amount. I learned the real reason they're so long/tall. When you have to get down to pick up something you dropped, it's great to have something to climb up to get vertical again!

Ok, Andy didn't explain barrel length:eek: Whatta happen Brother?
Standard Barrel length was "2/3 Tall as a man" Or some times measured in Hands ( Like 8 hands or there abouts) which meant it was the ideal length to load with out bendin in the middle!
Though many savvy hunters, solders, and frontiersmen may shorten a barrel to a more handy or balanced length, it was generally done so as a field modification! Many a Sea born fightin man would take to sawin off a knot length ( About a foot) to increase his close quarters fighting swing!:D

@thorborg and anyone else who is interested...

Octagon barrel have been the style for civilian arms for centuries ...long before caplocks.
It was just a "style thing"...sometimes popular and sometimes not.
Mostly they are seen on civilian arms , because of the work involved and the expense of making a octagon barrel look good.......

I'm gonna add another guess as to why round vs octagon. It's tough to make a nice uniform round cylinder without a lathe as opposed to draw filing flats with a simple file and a lot of patience. Lathe turning on the other hand would make for faster production given the proper equipment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top