JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the process of procuring a rifle with the aim of longer range shooting. For me it will be accuracy at significant distance (over 600m, with a goal to become proficient @ longer distances.)

I've always seen optics as a "you get what you pay for" item but don't know how much of that is really true anymore. I've looked at Schmidt and Bender quite a bit, and also spent some time doing some reading recently on U.S. Optics. But on price the Leupold Mark 4's tend to be about half of what the others run and at least from the reviews I've read the Leupold seems to deliver a decent, durable scope.

Here's my question: Is the quality so significantly different that paying $1500 or so for a scope will potentially show a noticeable difference over a $3000+ scope? Or is it a lot like electronics nowadays - when you buy a Sony, you're paying for the words 'SONY' on your equipment and a perceived value add that's not necessarily (or actually) there?

FWIW...I used to own a gun shop and stocked various optics. After fuss'n with the other brands I eventually went exclusively to Leupold. They are built in the USA and have a great warrenty and super product support group. Any time you have any issues or questions you can call their 800 number and a real human will help you solve the problem. The folks in the Product Support Team are awesome.

I don't own a gun shop anymore and work on the training side. I don't sell optics and don't make a dime promoting one product over the other. I can tell you Leupold has been a strong supporter of training and OFA helping us out in many classes supporting our students freely. I'm unaware of any other optic provider being so supportive or free with their product support staff to help those of us who are trying to learn.

Their optics are good-very good. I've been in their QC lab and talked to those who built and tested the Mark 4 products to meet the military's harsh requirements for optic performance. It is very impressive. I doubt most of us will ever push the optics to the same level as our miltary does. But the Leupold Mark 4 products are up to the task!

S&B makes perhaps the top optic in the world. The key issue with the S&B is they use Mil Turrents and Mil Reticule whereas everyone else uses MOA Turrents and Mil Reticules. I've never had the coin to own a S&B and honestly won't shoot any better even if I had one. And I already know how to convert Mils/MOA so working a Leupold and brand x's is no big deal. I don't know how I can shoot any better if I spend an additional $1500 on a S&B. There are those few who can honestly say they can...I and the other average Joe's/Jane's probably cannot.

Honestly I'd rather spend the additional $1500 on ammo and training.

The Leupold's TMR reticule is the bomb! It works very well even with my aging eyes and when done correctly a competent person can range in Mils to three digits with the TMR. If you're shooting +500 yards you'll want to seriously consider the TMR for more precise Milling/Ranging and setting up proper firing solutions.

I've been very pleased with Leupold products and believe it is a solid preformer with solid support unlike many other brands.

If I were you I'd call the Leupold 800 number...ask for a member of the Product Support Team and chat with them about a Leupold. They're all shooters...big time shooters. Most on the team train at OFA. Most shoot long distance and will give you a good idea of what to look for in a scope for your purpose. I don't want to talk you out of a S&B but I believe a Leupold will get you a long-long ways in your development as a long distance shooter.

Personally I would have to ask myself by what measurable amount would the SB make me a better shooter?
At least for me, I am pretty sure my equipment is capable of far greater accuracy than I am capable of wringing out of it. So in my case that would make the extra $$ not that well spent.
I have never owned a SB either. Hopefully you will find someone here that has good experience with the brand. But IMHO you will probably never be unhappy with a Leupold product.

Having used both US Optics and Leupold....the mark IV is better for the money. IIRC they use the same glass. That is the most important part. I couldn't tell a difference in performance between the two. I like the way the US Optics works a little better (form and fit), but it is also heavier. MTC

I suppose there's another aspect that would narrow the field down further from a Leupold/USO perspective and that's domestic organizations. I'm normally not tied to that and the Krauts make some darn impressive glass....but if I can keep it "at home" so to speak, I wouldn't feel bad about that.

I like leupold scopes a lot, but I'm not at all qualified to say anything about higher end scopes. I'm more of a VX I/VXII type of guy. Just wanted to let you know that midwayusa is running some good specials on these scopes $100-300 off. There are also promo codes for $30 off until Jan 10. Just thought you might want to know.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Promotion/...tm_source=bigimage&utm_medium=special10520103

$100 or more - Use Promotion Code 100110
$150 or more - Use Promotion Code 200110
$200 or more - Use Promotion Code 300110

Man, I wish I was trying to choose between a $1500 and $3000 scope!

I like leupold scopes a lot, but I'm not at all qualified to say anything about higher end scopes. I'm more of a VX I/VXII type of guy. Just wanted to let you know that midwayusa is running some good specials on these scopes $100-300 off. There are also promo codes for $30 off until Jan 10. Just thought you might want to know.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Promotion/...tm_source=bigimage&utm_medium=special10520103

$100 or more - Use Promotion Code 100110
$150 or more - Use Promotion Code 200110
$200 or more - Use Promotion Code 300110

Man, I wish I was trying to choose between a $1500 and $3000 scope!

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top