JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remington used to publish a guide for how much velocity was lost by inch of shortening a barrel. It wasn't that much. I am sure it depends on the load and that sort of thing. Slow burning Magnum loads would make a larger difference than a more moderate caliber. I am using Gentec quick change flash hiders on several rifles so I can move my silencer around. They really are not brakes so they don't deflect any sound sideways or to the rear. My brother was shooting his TRIG 338 Lapua at a range in Arizona, he normally uses a silencer but it was against range rules so he replaced it with the original TRIG brake......they made him move to the very end of the range as far away from everyone as he could get....he was pretty unpopular. I guess none of my guns really have brakes, even my big Weatherby.
Thanks for the information.

Cuz bigger is better.

Personally I'd take a 30-06 for body armor butter cutting and any long range love.

If I could afford the AR in 30-06 then I guess mo bullets is mo betta.

Agreed. If you watch tiborasaurusrex on the u-tube this is one of his favorite calibers for SHTF situations....

I am just curious about why get a MSR/Battle Rifle in 308/762 NATO? This pertains to AR10, FAL, Cetme, Scar, HK 91/G3, M1 etc. Please don't just say it is America so why not? I ask why not just take an M1 Abrams into gang areas and solve the problem? I ask for input and information because I am debating if I should. I at this time see the benefits of the round in a bolt action.

If by battle rifle you mean SHTF gun I wouldn't do an AR-10. If you just want a fun gun, then yeah, go for it.
AR-10 are proprietary to the manufacturer. AR-10 parts generally only work with the same manufacturer that built the rifle. So ammo will be plentiful, but replacement parts not so much.
Palmetto State builds a nice AR-10 for the money.
I don't own one, but my boss does and the BOOM, BOOM of the .308 compared to the bang, bang of the 5.56 in the AR platform is pretty cool :)

The way I see it is that 308 in a bolt action just because it is a common round and either 556/223 or 762x39 for "almost " everything else.

My WW II uncle drilled into my head that one should always have a weapon that is chambered for "government ammo". And, I have that covered for all rifle and pistol rounds. Just in case the need arises those rounds manufactured for government should be easier to acquire.

The 308 is a great round but does have its' limitations. However, some advancements have been made with commercial ammo improving its' versatility.

Not saying right or wrong but something to think about....sure you could stockpile rounds but just a diff opinion

Have not watched it all yet - volume is very low and the speakers on my laptop just are not that powerful, but...

Not available in quantity as the main reason?

I beg to differ: 7.62x39 has taken on a life of its own in the USA and because it has, everybody and their dogs is making ammo in that chambering, especially overseas.

Again, everybody and their dogs in the USA that is prepping for anything, that has a semi-auto defense rifle, has either an AR or an AK. It is hard for me to say which is more popular - I have not seen any polls, but I would say they are probably pretty close.

Also, who said you can't have both? Who said you can't get an AR and an AK? Who said you can't have one or the other in 5.56 or 7.62x39? Both rifles are available in both chamberings - and more.

Beyond that, it devolves into arguments about the suitability of the cartridge for the purpose, and we have all been down that road before. I fall into the 7.62x39 camp, but I have several defensive rifles in 5.56x45 too. I hedge my bets. I do not put all my eggs in one basket. I don't have to, and anybody who tells you that you should, you should really think twice about that advice.

And BTW - no major military still uses the .45 ACP as a cartridge for its main sidearm - there are exceptions, but not for the common sidearm. And yet, the .45 ACP is still a very commonly available cartridge.

As for the 7.62x39 - ammo would not be coming from the military. Even if the Russians and Chinese still used it, they would not be so foolish as to invade the USA. So 7.62x39 ammo would be coming from imports and/or civilians who have stockpiled it.

boys.... boys... its ok to have differing opinions...even if they are not 100% factual....most of our claims as gun owners have to do with feel, preference, experience, and upbringing. That's ok. I was just throwing out another opinion that the 7.62x39 might change....similarly to the 5.45 import ban,

I'm not saying not own all the ones you can....I support that as long as you can stack it deep, train with them and shoot them effectively

:) to each his own, it wasn't meant as a slam, just another piece of food for thought

BTW (pistol rds were not advocated in any of my posts ie .45... we were discussing 7.62 rifles)

cgcy3.jpg

For levity .... Christmas is coming....

Don"t know if it has been said yet but if so it bears repeating.... .308 and 06 render most "cover" merely concealment. Also highly effective vs. folks who might think a little body armor makes them Superman. Still a fairly compact and yet not something someone is going keep coming very long after well placed impact.

M1 or M1A are at the top of my next boom stick list.

Brutus Out

There were some "operators" in my units that preferred the AK 7.62 platform to our GAU 5's. I am not one of them but the 7.62X39 makes a dandy deer rifle......if you could hit it with an AK. I have a couple of them, a Yugoslavian and a Chinese. They are fun to shoot but at 40 minutes of an angle......... not what I consider accurate. Even the most worn out training AR 15's will shoot quarter size groups at 100 yards. The 3100 FPS of the 5.56 round also allows us to engage the enemy at ranges they can not respond effectively to. The people the AK were designed for were not riflemen. My CZ 7.62X39 is a wonderful accurate rifle so it isn't the caliber that is inaccurate. I also like the ability to easily carry hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

Last Edited:
Don"t know if it has been said yet but if so it bears repeating.... .308 and 06 render most "cover" merely concealment. Also highly effective vs. folks who might think a little body armor makes them Superman. Still a fairly compact and yet not something someone is going keep coming very long after well placed impact.

M1 or M1A are at the top of my next boom stick list.

Brutus Out
The interesting thing about defeating body armor is that when FN designed a round specifically for the job, they manufactured the 5.56 FN caliber that is just a smaller case less powerful AR round. Evidently small bullets penatrate better than big ones. Shooting humans is closer to shooting coyotes than elk. They are not that difficult to disable or destroy. I love the 7.62X51 caliber but if the truth be known, an unobstructed shot from a 5.56 is just as effective.

And BTW - no major military still uses the .45 ACP as a cartridge for its main sidearm - there are exceptions, but not for the common sidearm. And yet, the .45 ACP is still a very commonly available cartridge.

As for the 7.62x39 - ammo would not be coming from the military. Even if the Russians and Chinese still used it, they would not be so foolish as to invade the USA. So 7.62x39 ammo would be coming from imports and/or civilians who have stockpiled it.

Actually I read somewhere that the Turkish K2 .45ACP is their NATO pistol. What's not to love about 14+1 of 45 in a full size steel pistol that shoots soft and is accurate?

Brutus Out

There were some "operators" in my units that preferred the AK 7.62 platform to our GAU 5's. I am not one of them but the 7.62X39 makes a dandy deer rifle......if you could hit it with an AK. I have a couple of them, a Yugoslavian and a Chinese. They are fun to shoot but at 40 minutes of an angle......... not what I consider accurate. Even the most worn out training AR 15's will shoot quarter size groups at 100 yards. The 3100 FPS of the 5.56 round also allows us to engage the enemy at ranges they can not respond effectively to. The people the AK were designed for were not riflemen. My CZ 7.62X39 is a wonderful accurate rifle so it isn't the caliber that is inaccurate. I also like the ability to easily carry hundreds of rounds of ammunition.
You have the CZ 527?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top