JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am just curious about why get a MSR/Battle Rifle in 308/762 NATO? This pertains to AR10, FAL, Cetme, Scar, HK 91/G3, M1 etc. Please don't just say it is America so why not? I ask why not just take an M1 Abrams into gang areas and solve the problem? I ask for input and information because I am debating if I should. I at this time see the benefits of the round in a bolt action.

PSA for sub $700....cheap and a fun gun to shoot.....faster than a bolt action.... why do you hate M1 Abrams? or do you just love ghettos ;)

What is the intended use of said rifle?
While in the Army I made use of both the M21 ( Semi-Auto*) and the M24 ( Bolt Action )
For my job at that time...
I liked the M21 better , because I did not have to manipulate a bolt to engage targets , which meant less movement.
Less movement at times can be a life saver.
Also the M21 has a higher magazine capacity , which may be desirable at times.
Andy
* at times full auto as well , depending if the basis was a M14 rifle.

What is the intended use of said rifle?
While in the Army I made use of both the M21 ( Semi-Auto*) and the M24 ( Bolt Action )
For my job at that time...
I liked the M21 better , because I did not have to manipulate a bolt to engage targets , which meant less movement.
Less movement at times can be a life saver.
Also the M21 has a higher magazine capacity , which may be desirable at times.
Andy
* at times full auto as well , depending if the basis was a M14 rifle.
Great answer but I don't know why it "appears " that people are under the impression that if society collapsed one would need a semi auto rifle to protect themselves from 500+ yards away.

The "Why" of a purchase of a .308 is going to have to be strictly up to you. It does make for a fine Hunting Rifle on a large number of game animals. For that purpose I'd suggest a Bolt Action with or without a detachable Magazine. Most will hold four plus one and that should be enough for Hunting purposes. Just my opinion.:):):)

Great answer but I don't know why it "appears " that people are under the impression that if society collapsed one would need a semi auto rifle to protect themselves from 500+ yards away.

Cuz bigger is better.

Personally I'd take a 30-06 for body armor butter cutting and any long range love.

If I could afford the AR in 30-06 then I guess mo bullets is mo betta.

If society collapsed I'd be very happy with a bolt action .308 or .30-06
I might even be tempted to use a CZ 527 carbine in .556 or 7.62x39
Heck a JM marked 336 in .30-30 would do nicely.
Again just my choices....these rifles just seem to fit my style of shooting.
Andy

A suppressed Springfield Socom 16 is very good for social situations.

upload_2017-9-14_17-23-34.jpeg

Because if society did collapse, id want to have the option to engage targets at max range, hopefully out of the range of their ARs/AKs.

A friend purchased an LMT .308 and I asked him why, since I knew he already owned at least one AR-15 in 5.56 NATO. He replied that if the feces ever really did hit the fan, and he had to engage armed targets, he wanted to shoot them with something that they would stay shot. Kind of makes sense, if you can afford it. (and he can). I guess the rest of us have to try for head shots, although my Savage 10T bolt can reach out pretty far, and within 500 yards, I like the Stag Model 6 accuracy, even if it is the paltry 5.56 NATO.

Its a good question because for hunting, there are better options. For long range target/tactical, there are better options. For average range self defense, there are definitely better options.

But, its adequate for all three arenas and doesnt require multiple platforms. I hunt open country where fast and flat is preferred. But, I'm not going to use a 7mm Magnum to defend my home.

Faster cartridges with higher BCs are better LR options, but you have to increase rifle weight and recoil while sacrificing capacity and ammo load.

Smaller caliber semi-autos make for faster follow-up shots but arent as effective on big game or at distance.

I wouldn't. I'll keep my 5.56 AR when it comes to a high capacity rifle. Mainly for the faster follow up shots and smaller package. If I need the power to reach out and touch something way out there, I'll take a bolt rifle.

It probably makes a good compromise if you just want one rifle for everything though.

Its a good question because for hunting, there are better options. For long range target/tactical, there are better options. For average range self defense, there are definitely better options.

But, its adequate for all three arenas and doesnt require multiple platforms. I hunt open country where fast and flat is preferred. But, I'm not going to use a 7mm Magnum to defend my home.

Faster cartridges with higher BCs are better LR options, but you have to increase rifle weight and recoil while sacrificing capacity and ammo load.

Smaller caliber semi-autos make for faster follow-up shots but arent as effective on big game or at distance.
Nice solid answer

With lite loads you could have a 308 at a 223 power level. You will never load a 223 up to a 308.
This is very true but cost effective is important for me. I can do that whole buy once cry once but I like the idea of AKM in 762 for close to medium range and if I want LR I would go 6.5 cm, 338, 300 wm or maybe 308. But in a bolt action.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top