JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So yesterday I was in Sportsman's Warehouse in Hillsboro - just window shopping.

I noticed a number of things:

1) They had a LOT more powder than when I was last there (several years ago). They even had a 5 pound container of Trail Boss. A lot more bullets too.

2) They had a lot more ammo - but still no huge displays of bricks of .22 RF.

So I looked at the relative quantities of 7.62x39 v. 5.56

Yes - about twice as much 5.56 as 7.62x39 - just a rough estimate. If you count just the 'bulk' ammo alone, then 5.56 was about the same quantity as 7.62x39, but then you add in the .223 ammo grouped by manufacturer (SW puts manufacturer ammo together, not caliber), then that about doubles the quantity.

I think this is due to two things:

It is a lot cheaper to buy 7.62x39 online and in bulk quantities than at a sporting goods store. Maybe if a person goes into a dedicated gun shop that has AKs (I do not recall see any AKs in SW's gun racks), then they will find bulk 7.62x39.

Fewer manufacturers like Remington, Winchester sell/market 7.62x39 in bulk quantities. Most of the ammo in SW was Tula/et. al., some Hornady.

7.62x51 was there, in about the same quantities as any other chambering except 5.56 and 7.62x39 and 9mm

9x19mm challenges 5.56 for quantity - especially bulk. They had quite a few 250 rd boxes of bulk 9mm FMJ ammo.

.45 ACP, not near as much.

Not sure how SW sells that ammo when it can be bought online delivered to your doorstep for much less - except some of the premium ammo, which can occasionally be found on sale online for less.

Was there today, their bullet selection needs a restocking. Look at the location, people have money I'm surprised they don't charge more actually. I got a 200 dollar press there recently for 100 dollars so their sells can be really good. For 308 though go to cabelas, their entire ammo/reloading section is basically nothing but 308 and 223. I love SW though because they carry more variety of 270 ammo then anywhere else I've been. Probably more then other popular chambering's. They carry on hand for. 277 Varminters, TSX, SST, ELD-X, V-Max, LRAB 110-160 AB, Berger VLD 13-150, Matchkings, etc... and they have more powders then cabelas it seems to me. So it's convenience, if what you're saying is true about getting it to your door cheaper then they'll be out of business eventually.

:(
Fixed it for you... ;)
8048B445-E98E-4352-A474-BE7114A37CDB.png

I don't submit comments here for peer review. Looks like things have changed a bit since I got out.

The DOD Law of War Manual Returns Hollow Point Bullets to Armed Conflict

View attachment 463666

I don't submit comments here for peer review. Looks like things have changed a bit since I got out.

The DOD Law of War Manual Returns Hollow Point Bullets to Armed Conflict

But it IS better not to spread misinformation.

The MK 262 Mod 1 projectile is an open-tipped match (OTM) bullet, though it does not expand in the manner of a conventional hollowpoint. In fact, the hollow cavity is not there to induce expansion; it's there to put the majority of weight towards the projectile's rear so that it is more stable in flight and increase accuracy. Because it is not designed to expand and cause "undue suffering," that critical phrase in the Hague Conventions regarding ammunition, the Navy's Judge Advocate General Corps approved the round for use in combat. The same reasoning was applied to the Marine Corps 62-grain SOST round (MK 318), also an OTM design.

Read more: The Best 5.56 Load: The Black Hills MK 262 Mod 1 - Shooting Times

I have a package that it is coming with.
View attachment 392418

The optic has got to go but it's a Rock River Arms. With the brake it's 22". I will probably get a Leupold for it. Not sure which one yet. I got it all for just under $1000. I don't have a bunch of money so I have 9 months of payments. :rolleyes:

But it's mine after that. Heck I think I need to go to one of those cleanup shooting events. Be a blast!:D

That's a smoking deal! Nice looking rifle too. RRA is a great manufacture. I'm sure it will shoot great. Good thread guys. I know it's about a year old, but I looked back when I made a post in September and realized I had been on the lookout for just the right AR10 308 for almost a year. I ended up buying/finding just the right one for me and my needs this last April. I knew I wanted a semi auto 308, but didn't want to put one together myself because they are just not as modular as an ar15. You really have to know what is compatible and what is not. As for the rifle I found, it's an Armalite AR10t. Target model, I guess because of its 20" medium weight barrel and national match trigger. Like I've said before, these are a kick in the pants to shoot. I've been enjoying the heck out of mine and it's pretty accurate. I've kind of fine tuned this one and am working on updating the look right now, with a new Armalite tactical AR10 handguard. I'm waiting for it to get here, but have switched out the gas block with a low profile type and am just waiting for the handguard to arrive. I've almost stopped shooting my AR15's since I got this AR10:

eCtnJ6K.jpg

This is the best it's done during load development:
DcHjEYx.jpg

I'm hoping in the end, it will be a sub (or at minimum a 1 moa) moa. for 10 shots shooter. Load development looks promising though. I've tried different bullet weights and poi doesn't change much. I treat this 308 like I do my AR15 loads and just drop the powder from the uniflo and go... This allows me to load dang near 300 rounds per hour on a single stage press.... Great thread guys. Keep it rolling with pics of your favorite 308 rifles. Bolt, lever, or even semi-autos....
5OyHOZA.jpg

But it IS better not to spread misinformation.

The MK 262 Mod 1 projectile is an open-tipped match (OTM) bullet, though it does not expand in the manner of a conventional hollowpoint. In fact, the hollow cavity is not there to induce expansion; it's there to put the majority of weight towards the projectile's rear so that it is more stable in flight and increase accuracy. Because it is not designed to expand and cause "undue suffering," that critical phrase in the Hague Conventions regarding ammunition, the Navy's Judge Advocate General Corps approved the round for use in combat. The same reasoning was applied to the Marine Corps 62-grain SOST round (MK 318), also an OTM design.

Read more: The Best 5.56 Load: The Black Hills MK 262 Mod 1 - Shooting Times

There was no malice in referencing GC instead of HC, so the correction isn't benevolent. It's snobbish. Absolutely no ones life would be bettered by differentiating between a 119 year old dead policy from Europe, and the slightly more recent, accepted policy. I don't care, and this has already gone on to long. Do what you want, but don't be this guy:

4FB0ED75-6BD4-419A-B4C4-CCB80741F4EF.png

There was no malice in referencing GC instead of HC, so the correction isn't benevolent. It's snobbish. Absolutely no ones life would be bettered by differentiating between a 119 year old dead policy from Europe, and the slightly more recent, accepted policy. I don't care, and this has already gone on to long. Do what you want, but don't be this guy:

View attachment 463710

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I try to be more fact-based, the plain simple fact is it was Hague, not Geneva and this is exactly how incorrect internet BS gets spread around.

View attachment 463710
ACKCHYUALLY...

I am that guy!
:s0025:

:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR