JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of small towns in the PNW don't have enough resources. If something happens a few towns over all your resources leave to go help (plus they get to use sirens). It's not too far fetched to believe you'll be on your own. Why limit yourself because you're worried "someone" might think you're over the top with your giant bang stick?

You know that many sports stores sell 50bmg shells over the counter right next to the bubblegum. My take is there's more than one guy running around with a 50 cal. I've even seen a few.

I at this time see the benefits of the round in a bolt action.
I've never found any version of semi-308 to appeal to my sense of comfort either in carry or actual use.

However the Ruger Scout rifle does meet my minimum standards.
I'm a 308 fan, as there is nothing in my part of the hunting shire that doesn't respond well to such therapy.

If you are in AK as your user name suggests, your first choice and most effective one may be a LR round. If you have to hoof-it, 308 ammo gets heavy fast.
Finally, if you think of the AR platform as ball-sacs, you're missing your left nut if you don't have one in 308.
[eta] Duh, I see your location is W Wash. Still, LR : medium range : CQB. Plan for all three.
Yes I have an AK and love it. I also have an AR-15 as well. You mentioned a lot of good information. How important is the barrel length? I get frustrated with everything nowadays having only a 16" barrel as the standard.

Yes I have an AK and love it. I also have an AR-15 as well. You mentioned a lot of good information. How important is the barrel length? I get frustrated with everything nowadays having only a 16" barrel as the standard.

My AR-10 has a 18" barrel with a flashy evil black thing on the end. :D

Ask @Joe13 he hates that thing. First time at the range it about blew his hat off. :s0114:

5D6875E8-305C-4391-B7A2-F6AA76CD6AA1 (1).JPG

G'dang muzzle brakes!:mad:

Ear protection and holding my hands over my ears and that thing is still loud as thunder:eek:.

It's a hoot to shoot though;)
I bet it is. I have almost decided to join the darkside in the 308 world. Just wish everything wasn't a freaking 16" barrel.

Look manufacturers we don't need to fricking get a shorter fricking barrel for CQB stuff. Next thing you know they will start selling sharks with fricking lasers. And no one asked for 16" barrels or sharks with fricking lasers except this guy.

IMG_1623.JPG

Last Edited:
Great answer but I don't know why it "appears " that people are under the impression that if society collapsed one would need a semi auto rifle to protect themselves from 500+ yards away.

With the right ammunition (HP's) .308 is a definite threat stopper close in with sub par shot placement plus semi-auto is faster reloading time when it counts.;)

I know it's a personal choice so I'll give you my reasons.
I already own several 5.56 ARs so that's covered (and can go suppressed)
I already own .270 and 300win mag bolt guns (as well as a 30-30 lever gun) so LR is definitely covered by the bolts
I have several 22s and a Sparrow suppressor so quiet and stealthy is covered
I live on 1.5 acres with 200' of lakefront and it's ~660 yards to the far shore. When the scumbag armada comes floating my way in the SHTF scenario I can sit on the deck and not get hand cramps cycling one of my bolt guns while engaging zombie marines at distance. That's the only long range view I have from our lot. YMMV

P.S. Stop using my photo! :)

Years behind the butt plates of the M2, the M60(D), 219 COAX, and the 240B; my opinion that the semi or full auto .308s in motion aren't a "clean" weapon to use. Lots of heat, lots of noise, lots of oil and grit.

They are expensive to properly train with; with a combat role paradigm.

Any .308 platform should be able to operate under realistic conditions; a very hot barrel, fired from the prone, from behind a wall, through a window, at different ranges, with the various NATO cartridges, and with multiple mag changes.

Expensive; not for the faint hearted.
Stock extractors can break, extra parts required; Small Base sizing dies...etc.

PS: love em!

Years behind the butt plates of the M2, the M60(D), 219 COAX, and the 240B; my opinion that the semi or full auto .308s in motion aren't a "clean" weapon to use. Lots of heat, lots of noise, lots of oil and grit.

Any .308 platform should be able to operate under realistic conditions; a very hot barrel, fired from the prone, from behind a wall, through a window, at different ranges, with the various NATO cartridges, and with multiple mag changes.

You know that I forgot about being in the Army and how I was always the one volunteering to get the 60 and tote it around. Nobody wanted to be my friend when it came to being in the dirt. However, when it comes down to it, having it bark out rounds down range; everyone understood why I grabbed it.

One tends to get really low to the ground when she starts talking! :rolleyes:

Great answer but I don't know why it "appears " that people are under the impression that if society collapsed one would need a semi auto rifle to protect themselves from 500+ yards away.
It's not just the range - although that makes sense in some scenarios - it's also the punch. A 308 will smash right through that car window or door (or body armor), whereas lesser rounds may not.

Even the lightest 308 packs more punch than a 7.62x39 round.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the 7.62x39, just answering your question - why have a 308?

There are all kinds of articles on ideal barrel length. I was not happy with my DPMS LR308 at 16" - such a short barrel and a heavy rifle. Loved the gun, now it's in my daughter's caring hands (and she loves it too). I gave it to her because I built two 6.8 SPC ARs, and for now they cover my middle caliber expectations well.
When I get around to it, I will build a 7mm-08 AR10 with a carbon fiber ultralight barrel at 18". Great long range capabilities, and with the right loads, almost as good with terminal ballistics as a similar grain 308.
I have a 26" Savage 10 in 308 that will shoot a dime at 100 yards in the right hands. However, it's heavy.
There was one great article I read years ago, and if I read it right, 20-3/4" is the ideal barrel length, based on empirical experience.
Here's the article: Secrets of the Houston Warehouse.

^^^ The difference between field experience and armchair warriors. ^^^

[ETA] Have you heard about the Keltec Bullpup in 308 / 7.62 ? I've heard great things about them. Kel-tec RFB rifles

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top