JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am just curious about why get a MSR/Battle Rifle in 308/762 NATO? This pertains to AR10, FAL, Cetme, Scar, HK 91/G3, M1 etc. Please don't just say it is America so why not? I ask why not just take an M1 Abrams into gang areas and solve the problem? I ask for input and information because I am debating if I should. I at this time see the benefits of the round in a bolt action.
So you have a Mauser K98 and I have an M1 Garand.
I like my chances.

Neither is a 308/7.62 but you get the idea.

So with a 308/7.62 battle rifle you have almost the power of 30-06 with twice the capacity of the M1.
You could engage an enemy with an AK long before he could put accurate fire on you.

Cuz bigger is better.

Personally I'd take a 30-06 for body armor butter cutting and any long range love.

If I could afford the AR in 30-06 then I guess mo bullets is mo betta.

One of you dudes should buy my R1 in 30-06 that's in the classifieds. It's semi-auto, lighter than an AR, and reliable. Shameless plug, I know :D

Some good points here on the subject of selecting a rifle/cartridge for SHTF/liberty defense. Alot of it depends on your version of what would or could happen, and your region.

Because...targets composed of living tissue aren't the only targets; in a PROL society, it may be necessary to aquire, disable, or destroy metallic objects, glass objects, or others....

Let me illustrate; in a PROL scenario, one may find himself (or herself) in a defensive position; initiative in defense is a huge multiplier!

Too bad this is an open forum, I could elaborate more....send a PM...

A semi-auto .30 cal has a significantly-more dynamic effect on the target(s).

Reason 2: the popularity of the 7.62x51 almost garentees that it will be readily available after normal supply chains fail.

.308 is common AF and is capable of doing what other larger, less common, more expensive calibers (for the most part and within reason) are capable of doing.

If we're talking about SHTF, .308 is going to be VERY common along with a few other calibers. Though there is much 54R or 30-06.. I doubt those are going to be as prevelent as .308 and in my opinion .270 would be more common over 30-06.. but that my personal opinon based on what Ive seen when in stores. YMMV.

If you mean for just having and that particular caliber, thats easy, PRICE! .308 is often cheaper because its got tons of demand, different manf., tons of different price points and its abailable in many different loads and pill flavors.

But lastly, Because they're fun! Ever see a movie with an FAL, G3 or M14 and think, damn.. That looks fun.. Well thats why I have a few. But dont get me wrong.. I still enjoy enemy at the gates and Red Dawn.. Then again, as an Ammosexual Im a bit of a firearm whore and Ill take a turn with just about any firearm... But those firearms in .308, they make a fella go six to midnight..
They're heavy, powerful and semi auto.. Whats not to like? Sure its expensive.. But for some ammo brands $9-$15 a box isnt too bad.

But if SHTF, think of them as a DMR, not an "assault rifle".. 5.56 is great and all.. But .308 can do better in brush and with buildings/vehicles.. And semi auto is faster than bolt action.. Sometimes speed matters.. If SHTF.. Id think that'd still apply.

Not sure where the question was headed so I gave a bit of an answer for both.

I really enjoy my AK's and AR's.. But there is something sexy about an AR10(and variants) as well as an M1A (to me)..bolt actions are fun.. But again.. Sometimes semi auto is just better.. YMMV. With AR10 variant prices.. Now is the time to get a sweet $650-$750 AR10.. Why not?!

For me it isn't that this is a SHTF rifle. I grew up with people carrying FALs and G3s. They were foreign and cool. The M16 was plasticy and nasty. Never wanted one. (Now I like them and I think the ability to carry more ammo is more important than punch).

I started with an M1a. Then a FAL, then another, and another... Then I sold the M1a and 2 FALs. Now I have just the one FAL and its enough. The M1a was really cool but the FALs are my childhood memories.

for a SHTF situation, I would highly recommend 223/5.56 in an AR platform. That and a .45 of any sort. And a 12ga shotgun

You are going to be able to get ammo for them more than about anything else.

.308 is common AF and is capable of doing what other larger, less common, more expensive calibers (for the most part and within reason) are capable of doing.

If we're talking about SHTF, .308 is going to be VERY common along with a few other calibers. Though there is much 54R or 30-06.. I doubt those are going to be as prevelent as .308 and in my opinion .270 would be more common over 30-06.. but that my personal opinon based on what Ive seen when in stores. YMMV.

If you mean for just having and that particular caliber, thats easy, PRICE! .308 is often cheaper because its got tons of demand, different manf., tons of different price points and its abailable in many different loads and pill flavors.

But lastly, Because they're fun! Ever see a movie with an FAL, G3 or M14 and think, damn.. That looks fun.. Well thats why I have a few. But dont get me wrong.. I still enjoy enemy at the gates and Red Dawn.. Then again, as an Ammosexual Im a bit of a firearm whore and Ill take a turn with just about any firearm... But those firearms in .308, they make a fella go six to midnight..
They're heavy, powerful and semi auto.. Whats not to like? Sure its expensive.. But for some ammo brands $9-$15 a box isnt too bad.

But if SHTF, think of them as a DMR, not an "assault rifle".. 5.56 is great and all.. But .308 can do better in brush and with buildings/vehicles.. And semi auto is faster than bolt action.. Sometimes speed matters.. If SHTF.. Id think that'd still apply.

Not sure where the question was headed so I gave a bit of an answer for both.

I really enjoy my AK's and AR's.. But there is something sexy about an AR10(and variants) as well as an M1A (to me)..bolt actions are fun.. But again.. Sometimes semi auto is just better.. YMMV. With AR10 variant prices.. Now is the time to get a sweet $650-$750 AR10.. Why not?!

This!;)

Like a bunch of drug peddlers around here.:p Try it man, you will like it, and the price is right. Next thing you know I'm having some dude named Felix selling my kidney on eBay so I can afford more ammunition. ;)
Have me talking like rain man. "308 definitely definitely 308. Counting my 308."

On the serious side, it has been years since I shot a 308. Maybe I could get some ammo and try it again.

Last Edited:
  • You mentioned cost effective. That's all relative. My opinion is if you want cost effective, get a wrist rocket or a sword. Or both.
  • Availability of ammo in a SHTF situation is delusional. While your ghetto pals may be stocking up on Air Jordans, anyone who is a prepper will be salvaging whatever ammo they can find. Look at the crunch from 2012-2015, there was very little 308 to be found. However, if you're going to be raiding your neighbor, then there's a good chance that 308 will be part of the spoils. You will need the Abrams to protect your stash of Air Jordans.
  • Simplest reason - though it may not be the first rifle you reach for, the versatility and adaptability of the AR10 platform is a fantastic fall-back armament after you've exhausted your LR options -- the aggressor is closer, and you need fast follow-ups with higher kinetic energy.
If you are in AK as your user name suggests, your first choice and most effective one may be a LR round. If you have to hoof-it, 308 ammo gets heavy fast.
Finally, if you think of the AR platform as ball-sacs, you're missing your left nut if you don't have one in 308.
[eta] Duh, I see your location is W Wash. Still, LR : medium range : CQB. Plan for all three.

I am just curious about why get a MSR/Battle Rifle in 308/762 NATO? This pertains to AR10, FAL, Cetme, Scar, HK 91/G3, M1 etc. Please don't just say it is America so why not? I ask why not just take an M1 Abrams into gang areas and solve the problem? I ask for input and information because I am debating if I should. I at this time see the benefits of the round in a bolt action.

Because... Galil.

IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2583.JPG

Oh yeah, and because..... 'Murcia!! :D

• You mentioned cost effective. That's all relative. My opinion is if you want cost effective, get a wrist rocket or a sword. Or both.
  • Availability of ammo in a SHTF situation is delusional. While your ghetto pals may be stocking up on Air Jordans, anyone who is a prepper will be salvaging whatever ammo they can find. Look at the crunch from 2012-2015, there was very little 308 to be found. However, if you're going to be raiding your neighbor, then there's a good chance that 308 will be part of the spoils. You will need the Abrams to protect your stash of Air Jordans.
  • Simplest reason - though it may not be the first rifle you reach for, the versatility and adaptability of the AR10 platform is a fantastic fall-back armament after you've exhausted your LR options -- the aggressor is closer, and you need fast follow-ups with higher kinetic energy.
If you are in AK as your user name suggests, your first choice and most effective one may be a LR round. If you have to hoof-it, 308 ammo gets heavy fast.
Finally, if you think of the AR platform as ball-sacs, you're missing your left nut if you don't have one in 308.
[eta] Duh, I see your location is W Wash. Still, LR : medium range : CQB. Plan for all three.
Thanks. It makes a lot of sense.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads