JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was looking for a new cleaning rod, after my bad experience with a coated one flaking.

Virtually every kit on the market has steel rods, and quite a few of the standalone rods are steel as well.

Why? I would think brass would be much better, as it wouldn't scratch the bore. I really have no plans to put a steel rod down any bore I care about...

I agree. I went with one the guy at SW said was carbon fiber,...
It is powder coated steel. GRRRRR
So I went down to the electrical supply and got some adhesive lined shrink tubing that barely fit over it.
Heated it up with a bic lighter and I now have one that is solvent resistant and won't scratch the bore. And it still fits through my bore guide.
But you're right. What a PITA!

get a brass rod and make one for your self.a dremel and drill is all ya need.if ya have a threading die set all the more betterer.just add a swivel handle from an old cleaning rod or not swivel if ya prefer,drill in the depth cut for the threads and thread it.You can also get it done cheply at a machine shop or any place that can do the threading.You'll have a custom brass or copper etc. rod for yourself.just a thought.

http://www.google.com/products?clie...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC0QrQQwAw

The reason for steel rods that I heard was that rods like brass, plastic coated, etc. are too soft. Carbon and other particles could become embedded in the rod, the result being that you have created an abrasive rod that would eat up your bore.

My cleaning rods all have little cone shaped plastic doo-dads that center the rod in the crown of the barrel so metal cannot touch metal. That said, I think you could deliberately try to mess up a barrel made out of something typical like 4140HT with a 1018 mild steel rod all day long and only f'up the rod. The barrel is much harder than the cleaning rod. The two materials aren't even on the same Rockwell hardness scale! :cool:

try a otis kit grated they are very expensive but its a plastic coated metal flex rod but they are made to go through the chamber not the muzzle for least damage to your crown . its also stiff enough that once inserted it can be used to push out stuck casings like a steal rod .

you can buy them at bi mart

Whoelsale Sports, in Clackamas and Vancouver, sell carbon fiber rods. I can't remember the name brand, but they have them for most applications and lengths.

+1 for the boresnake style cleaners. They do a great job and you don't have to worry about scratching your gun. Probably not great if you are shooting lead though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top