JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just for me, it's a .40 with at least 14 rounds + another mag real handy.

Practice point shooting, and then just flat unload on the bubblegummer(s) until they are out. I'm getting to where I can hit a paper dinner plate at 20 yards almost every time firing about 2 rounds per second with a Glock 23. That's with my rear sight taped over.

That is, unless I can have my semi-auto 8+1 12 ga and 00 buck. (Hey NWO, I put a 3 round extension on your 22" 1100. ) :)

What's not to like about a .40 for a handgun round?

han.jpg

I'm a huge fan of the round as I've got a couple glocks and USPs chambered for it, but I'm constantly noticing people looking for trades, saying "pistols" and then when I ask exactly what they're looking for it's "Well... something in 9mm or .45, but NO .40s".

I've also noticed that most of the gunshops down here are full of .40s and pretty scarce on all others except high end .45s.

My question is... Why the dislike of the .40? Personally, I wouldn't carry anything else. Ammo is readily available at a fair price, velocity and specs are good on the ammo I carry(HydraShock) and recoil is easily handled. I just want to know if there's something others see that I just haven't noticed yet.

Please enlighten me!

-Adam

Its an awesome round that from its inception in 1990 has over 75% of all law enforcement contracts in the US. It was made for law enforcement and is actually used by law enforcement. What's not to like.

"The recoil has snap like attributes! The 9mm has very little recoil, the .45 has a push back type recoil, but the .40 has just enough to break your wrist free. Its something I know I could get used to if I trained with it more, but why? " +1:s0155:

I agree with the above comments this has been my experience with the .40. For some that snap may make some recoil shy in which case they should go with whatever they are comfortable shooting. Cost can be a factor as 9 mm is cheaper too. I like the .40 and used a Glock 23 as my main carry gun for 18 years before I switched to the XD. I have them in all 3 flavors 9 mm .40 and .45 ACP. I would gladly carry .40. The solution I found for the "snappiness" on my Glock 23 was a Harts Recoil Reducer that replaced the recoil spring guide. It has liquid mercury inside with ballbearing and gives I can say with confidence that it make the .40 feel like a 9mm. I still have the recoil reducer for anybody who has a Glock .23 that was thinking about downsizing to a 9 mm because of recoil, you can PM me. I'll sell it to you for a very reasonable price. Worth every penny. :s0155:

I like .40 S&W just fine, my first semi-auto was a 1st generation .40 Sigma and despite rumors to the contrary that was a fun and reliable gun. I'll get one or more pistols chambered for .40 S&W eventually for certain!

Also 40 fan. Mine is a Daewoo DH40 MKII. 20 years and no problems. Even with my son's hand loads.
I believe it was Guns and Ammo who ran an artical on the 40 and tested it. Don't remember the maker of the pistol they used. What got my attention was their statement that it shoots like a 9mm and hits like .45.
To me the 9mm is TV popular and the .45 is WWII popular. This is not saying they are bad rounds.

Just for me, it's a .40 with at least 14 rounds + another mag real handy.

Practice point shooting, and then just flat unload on the bubblegummer(s) until they are out. I'm getting to where I can hit a paper dinner plate at 20 yards almost every time firing about 2 rounds per second with a Glock 23. That's with my rear sight taped over.

That is, unless I can have my semi-auto 8+1 12 ga and 00 buck. (Hey NWO, I put a 3 round extension on your 22" 1100. ) :)

What's not to like about a .40 for a handgun round?

han.jpg

Now that picture seperates brown sugar from facts!!

My two cents: IT AIN'T WHAT YOU SHOOT, but how well you shoot it and how much you practice with what every you shoot. Done properly, most rounds will get the job done.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top