JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One time in a moment of weakness I told my wife that I was pretty much done cuz I had everything I needed. And now every time she hears about some deal or other she exasperately says, "I thought you were finished." I've never had the heart to say, "Honey, I'll never be satisfied since there's always one. More. Thing. I. Need."

It's kinda like sex. It's never enough.

Or like eating food. You may have a favorite food, or foods NEEDED to stay alive but you still eat a large variety and order dofferent meals when out.

I sold my wofe on ARs when the newtown buying craze hit.
When people were selling $700 ARs for $2000.
I told my wofe it was a good investment.
I didn't tell her I had no intentions of actually selling:rolleyes:

There are hobbies out there that cost the same amount, but with an extra zero on the end.

I don't have a boat, we don't have an RV, I'm not a fisherman or a golfer. Guns are actually pretty inexpensive in the big picture. And I don't collect H&H shotguns, either. We're talking Glocks and 10/22's here.

Well...maybe I understated that a bit. But that's just between you and me!

What do you do to keep the peace when your spouse supports the utilitarian aspect of firearm ownership, but is exasperated by the hobby/collection interest going on?

Time for a "sit down" with the wife to find out what her main concerns are. Do you guys have debt she thinks should be paid off? Are you not saving enough for retirement? Does she think the money should go toward that vacation she wants to take or new furniture for the living room? Etc. If her only issue is that she doesn't share a love of guns like you do and, therefore, doesn't think you should be spending money on them, then good luck my friend. You can try pointing out her shoe, purse, makeup, and jewelry collection, and that you don't understand why anyone needs 20 different pairs of black shoes, but you understand that it makes her happy, and see if any of that resonates with her. Don't be surprised if it doesn't. :rolleyes:

It may also be time to reexamine how you handle finances. I've always maintained that there needs to be some level of separate income so that you can freely indulge your wants/hobbies without the other person getting upset about it. More specifically, if you work hard, pay the bills, save for retirement, are being financially responsible, etc., splurging on a few indulgences is part of what makes life worth living. Moreover, your indulgences don't have to make sense to her just like hers don't have to make sense to you.

All of this is, of course, very logical. You're problem, however, is that most women run on emotion and not logic. If this is the case, then you can expect it's going to be a very long and painful, "until death do you part." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top