JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Philly, Please get off the victim kick, its not becoming. Why is a logical question, which the seller has the perogative to answer, or not. If I get annoyed at a buyer, maybe I need to re-examine if I really want to sell it. It may have some personal value to me, or maybe I'm thinking it has more value than others think it has. In that case, better to not sell the gun.

Wow, I didn't realize that sharing my feeling about being asked a certain question would instantly mean that I am some shady character who is trying to hide something, or sell junk guns, and bring up doubts about my honesty and integrity. It's just an opinion and talking point. I feel like my trade rating should be dropped now, or I should be disallowed from posting in the classifieds.

It's not YOU it's ME, I don't trust you.:s0112:

I think you are taking this too personally. 99% of the folks on here don't know you. For them to trust everything you say would be foolish, like wise it would be foolish for YOU to trust the 99% you don't know.

Every gun on here is for sale for a reason. Wanting to know what that reason IS, is totally legit. If you don't feel it's any of their business tell them "personal reasons", it really shouldn't bother you that they ask.

When I sell something, I'll post pics, and I'll describe it as accurately as possible. I still expect to get questions about it, however.

What I don't like, as stated in a previous post, is the story that accompanies the item someone else has for sale. I don't care if they just had a baby, are clearing out the safe (what does that mean, anyway?), or just don't use it any more. Tell me what it is, what shape it's in, and how much you want. I may or may not ask questions. I might start with an offer, but it would be a fair one, not a lowball.

I've made several trades through outdoorstrader, and each time both parties walked away thinking we each got the better end of the deal.

Whenever we buy something, be it a gun or a car or whatever, we are making an investment of our hard earned money. It would be irresponsible for a buyer to not get as much information about an item before committing to purchase it. Any question related to the item for sale is relevant, and may bring to light positive or negative information that a responsible buyer needs to know.

Asking the why a person is selling an item also gives the buyer a chance to feel out the sellers credibility, to help assure they are getting a good deal. The circumstances are limitless as to why someone might sell something, and one of those circumstances may be a deal sealer or breaker to the buyer. I never hesitate to tell an interested buyer the reasoning behind selling whatever I am selling, as I believe it is directly related to sale.

When I ask why someone is selling something that I am interested in, and I get the feeling that they are lying, or hesitant to say why, it is a red flag for me to be cautious and inspect the item thoroughly. Buying and selling used items is not a cut and dried heres my thing you give me the money and I'll give you the item. The item is not new, and everything is on the table to use to assure that neither party is getting screwed, including reading the sellers voice and tone when inquiring.

Just my two cents.

That question always bugs me whether I am selling a car, gun, or lawn mower. What, I have to tell you I need the money, or make up some story about how I got something else and don't use this anymore? Just to give the person a chance to then lowball me? The seller gives you the condition of the item, the buyer comes and takes a look to confirm, sale goes through or it doesn't. When I am in the market for something I couldn't care less why the person is selling it. It has no baring on the transaction.

It's like the buyer is going from a book they bought on how to buy, and this is one of the steps. Drives me nuts.

Just tell them: "Because it was really hard to keester..." :s0001:

I do not think anyone is trying to insinuate you are a shady character Philly. I know from a buyers perspective I may ask if there are underlying reasons someone is selling something since there are those out there that are "shady". I might also LEARN that I do not want that type of firearm and want something different. From a sellers perspective, maybe I forgot to put something in the ad and that question made me remember that fact.

"WHY?" is a perfectly valid question to ask. It's not too personal. It's not like someone is asking you about your sex life, or something like that.

I like to ask sellers why they are selling something just out of curiousity. They dont have to be "specific", but a "I want something else", or "I need new tires" or something like that is sufficient.
If the item is NEW, or something really beautiful I like to know why they want to part with such an item. I know I would want to hold onto something like that.

With me, it's more of a conversational question. I like to be "friendly" with people I do busines with, and for me a question like this makes for good conversation sometimes, AND helps to make me feel more comfortable with a deal.

I certainly don't mind if someone asks ME why I want to sell something.

I ask why because asking

how the recoil.. how the trigger reset, hows the accuracy, Does it jam, any problems etc...

Asking Why are you selling it answers all those questions, i have no problem having someone asking why they are selling something.... there is ALWAYS a reason, and im willing to tell them, perhaps my answer with help them decide to buy or not to buy it.. im not gonna lie just to sell my property

It's a fair question and while the reason is often personal it doesn't mean you have to give details. Last year I sold a couple of cars (both mid 60's american muscle in great shape). I think almost everyone who came to look at them asked why. I told them I was making some changes in life. No one asked another questing on the issue. A simple answer goes a long way, if the person stumbles with a question like this it would be a red flag for me. Easy answer to the question I don't use it anymore.

Just tell them: "Because it was really hard to keester..." :s0001:

Hey, What did I do?

YouTube - Carfax - Minor Smoke Damage

This may be a reason people might ask that question. Maybe, I don't know. I think the simple answer is people don't want to get screwed. I've seen plenty of way overpriced firearms for sale on the internet with unbelievably low round counts being advertised. Now either has a tremendous amount of firearm enthusiasts who never shoot their firearms which then causes the value to exceed that of a brand new firearm with warranty from the manufacturer or their are a few people who are not being 100% honest with their advertisements. This goes with buying everything not just firearms, so I think it is perfectly acceptable for someone to ask questions and inquire about the item they are about to purchase.

I see the point of view some of you are expressing, and understand what you mean. It's been a little while since I sold anything, I just happen to see someone ask that question on the classified adds on this site, and it just struck me as kind of a "who gives a ..... why he is selling?"

As far as "Due dilligence" goes, it still seems like an irrelevent question. Due dilligence to me is doing your research, reading reviews, asking specific questions about the item, thorough inspection, etc. An open ending question like this doesn't add any valuable informations to me, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. No big deal.

That question always bugs me whether I am selling a car, gun, or lawn mower.

Because a buyer wants to know your motivation to sell besides money. Is the item broken? Did you get a newer version so this is just a spare? Has this been in storage for years or has the item been used daily?

All of these factors affect the condition of the item. If I'm buying something with a motor and you've told me that you never use it and it's been sitting in your garage for ages I'm going to start wondering about the condition of the motor. And so on. Don't get so butthurt about these questions, buyers are looking out for their own interests too.

From my standpoint, I tell the truth about the item: It did not fit my needs (or more like I am worse than my wife and her purses in regards to changing my mind), tell them the condition of the item and if I experienced any problems with it. Anything else might be an invitation for opportunists.

i think this is a fair question to ask. Just b/c you're asked a question doesn't mean you're required to answer it baring your soul. People are asking about the possible history of the gun or a current owner's opinion on the gun. it is not my intention to exploit someone's unfortunate circumstances by asking this question but to know more about the back story of why this gun is leaving one owner, could be a good reason like "it has a really long heavy DA pull which I can't shoot well b/c I have short fingers (true story, I do)".

I used to run a small business and often times people asked why various items were in the store, and as a friendly and customary sales pitch, I'd go into the relevant details.

If one doesn't like the question of "why...?", then don't expect a lot of friendly and cordial offers/buyers.

any philly fan should be questioned,tested with a lie ditector, be drug tested and waterboarded before considereing a statement to be valid.
A sox fan on the other hand is loyal.clean ,,,OH WAIT this is a gun forum!!!!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top