JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No one is insinuating that anyone else is shady for resenting a question about why a gun is for sale. Of course, "why do you need the money?" would be way out of line (and a dumbass question in this economy anyhow). But asking why an ostensibly solid weapon (or car, or boat, or instrument) is for sale can yield a lot of useful information - from confident sellers who don't get unreasonably ruffled up over legit questions. Personally, I expect human curiosity, as clumsy as it often is, and do my best to handle it with candid grace.

I see the point of view some of you are expressing, and understand what you mean. It's been a little while since I sold anything, I just happen to see someone ask that question on the classified adds on this site, and it just struck me as kind of a "who gives a ..... why he is selling?"

As far as "Due dilligence" goes, it still seems like an irrelevent question. Due dilligence to me is doing your research, reading reviews, asking specific questions about the item, thorough inspection, etc. An open ending question like this doesn't add any valuable informations to me, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. No big deal.

Asking "why" is a good way to see if the seller is being upfront or is trying to hide something. You can do all the research in the world on that model of gun you are buying but you do not know if this particular gan was used as an experiment to "fix the trigger" or to "smooth out the action" or whatever. A good inspection can tell an experienced buyer a lot about the gun but I don't know many seller who would let you take it apart to check the sear or other internals. "why is it for sale" and "how many rounds are put thru it" are very real questions from a gun buyer to know what to expect.

Most gun owners won't part with a favorite gun unless they needed money but a lot of guys will sell if they don't like the trigger, hammer bite or whatever. I sold 2 LNIB Glocks because I did not like the grip angle and I was not as accurate with them as I am with my other pistols. Others like the grip angle and Glocks in general. Asking why is just a smart thing to do for a buyer. It does not mean you are shady or hiding something. Caveat Emptor.. let the buyer beware...

littlecars said:
sometimes I ask stupid questions like "why are you selling it" becouse I want to get them talking, so I can try to figure out if they are telling the truth or not. If I ask lot of questions they forget what they have told me and then I ask a simular question and sometimes they give me a difference answer. Then I know I cannot trust them.
OK, this one make total sense to me. I can go with that.

Yeah, that is pretty much my reason. I don't trust people very much for buying and selling (I've run into too many scammers online etc.). The "Why are you selling it?" question is almost all to feel the seller out. There's a chance you could find out some info about the item, but usually it's just trying to read the person and see if their story matches/makes sense. Everything about condition I should be asking or inspecting anyway. But it's hard to get a handle on honesty and vague feelings when asking questions with concrete answers like "What condition is it in?" and "How is the trigger?"

You make a lot of assumptions. The question annoys me, but I am always polite and do answer. Just don't think it's anyones business why I am selling something.

Sometimes a seller will hang himself with his honesty and tell the buyer it's a piece of bubblegum.
Like on a car.When they ask ,do you say 'I need something else' or 'well the throttle sticks and I don't want to do a brake job' ?
Some sellers will hesitate because they are no honest.Then the buyer has a clue to the real condition of the item.

Many a person is selling junk,out there.As a buyer it is your business why the guy is selling.

When I ask why someone is selling something, often its less because I think they are trying to hide something, and rather I am attempting to see if they had insight into the firearm that I may not have considered. The felt/perceived recoil, the trigger pull, the aesthetics, etc. It's not so much that they are trying to hide what they didn't like, but rather I want to know their honest opinion to expand my own knowledge. Sometimes it's a deal killer, but more often than not, its just another idea added to my data bank.

Honestly, if I thought someone was trying to hide something or pawn off a POS, I would never ask them the question in the first place, I'd just look at the ad, and then move on...

I may not ask that question on an internet board, but I will in person if we get down to the final dealings.
I think it goes to the old "too good to be true" thing. I don't go in for bad deals, I pursue bargains.
The hazard there is that the item may be a problem not easily identified. (won't group, feeding problem etc.) If I ask the question and your answer sounds like B.S. I am walking away.
As the buyer, that's my prerogative.

When I ask why someone is selling something, often its less because I think they are trying to hide something, and rather I am attempting to see if they had insight into the firearm that I may not have considered. The felt/perceived recoil, the trigger pull, the aesthetics, etc. It's not so much that they are trying to hide what they didn't like, but rather I want to know their honest opinion to expand my own knowledge. Sometimes it's a deal killer, but more often than not, its just another idea added to my data bank.

Honestly, if I thought someone was trying to hide something or pawn off a POS, I would never ask them the question in the first place, I'd just look at the ad, and then move on...

This is why I ask "why". I could go through a list of questions a mile long and not get the same answer I would get with a simple "why are you selling?".:s0155:

littlecars and others have hit the nail on the head, for smart buyers that is.

If you ask "why are you selling it" the answer can tell you a lot. The how, what or maybe a non answer in the form of, "because" or similar, way people answer tells you quickly whether the item is above board.

I went to purchase a shotgun the other week, I asked the guy why he was selling it. His answer, going back to Iraq and wanted the money. I now have a nearly new 935 for dirt cheap. If, on the other hand he had said, "because" or "none of your business", or once, "why the frack do you care?", I would not have bought it.

It's a quick smell test.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads